450 Gallon Starphire Aquarium (AGE Build)

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is coincidental... I was just looking at their website this morning thinking about what I would use for a frag tank in my office after the main one is up and running... NOPE think I will pass. Hope they work it out with you.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is coincidental... I was just looking at their website this morning thinking about what I would use for a frag tank in my office after the main one is up and running... NOPE think I will pass. Hope they work it out with you.
Honestly, there isn't much they can do to work it out. They've offered a $500 discount, but my boss is not hearing it, and I dont blame him. They will have to refund us completely and pick up the tank on their own dime.
This will be an expensive lesson for them.

Edit: You're definitely smart to pass on them. I wish someone would have warned me.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't even let them rework those panels dude. Which is probably what they'll offer next. With that sort of incompetence it's likely they wouldn't even completely scrape the existing silicone off the panes and polish them down to accept a new bead. Can see them just scraping with a blade and laying down new silicone, then re-clamping==Catastrophic seam failure risk in the future.
I would pull the rip cord and completely bail from them period.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang...

Disheartening to hear the experience as what should have been fun when you receive a brand new tank. Good luck on next steps.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang...

Disheartening to hear the experience as what should have been fun when you receive a brand new tank. Good luck on next steps.
Yes, it was quite the buzzkill.
Next steps:
1) Stop payment on CC
2) Look for a tank manufacturer that has their stuff together. (suggestions welcomed)

I should have known from the hand drawn design diagram that something was terribly wrong lol

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update:

After a long conversation with my boss, the folks at glasscages will be starting another tank build for us. I have a feeling they'll be paying a little bit closer attention to detail this time around. They have already started the replacement tank and said they will deliver it within 7 days.

Wish me luck.

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update:

After a long conversation with my boss, the folks at glasscages will be starting another tank build for us. I have a feeling they'll be paying a little bit closer attention to detail this time around. They have already started the replacement tank and said they will deliver it within 7 days.

Wish me luck.

Good luck!

Question, is 7 days long enough for the silicone to heal in that big of a tank?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ughh what a mess.

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope this works out for you! That's a big tank. It took a long time to get my 300 made, I would be worried about having a tank made in a week. Then being moved around/delivered without being fully cured. all from a company who put the wrong type of glass on the overflow side already...

tenor.gif

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I saw this sooner, since I just placed an order for a 240G long from them this morning with 3 sides of Low iron glass.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope this works out for you! That's a big tank. It took a long time to get my 300 made, I would be worried about having a tank made in a week. Then being moved around/delivered without being fully cured. all from a company who put the wrong type of glass on the overflow side already...
Yeah, if it was up to me, I would have just gotten a straight refund and dealt with another company. My boss wanted to give them a second chance. Good point about it being moved before being completely cured.
I wish I saw this sooner, since I just placed an order for a 240G long from them this morning with 3 sides of Low iron glass.
Not too late to cancel your order. I would imagine they've put other projects/new projects on hold until they finish our second tank.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear about your tank.

I got my 96x24x24 viewable on 3 sides from Custom Aquariums for $2000 delivered. It took 6 weeks to cure. They will not send it out without it being fully cured. Comes with a lifetime guarantee not to shatter or leak or come apart at the seams. They called me twice making sure they got all the information correct before building it. They sent me a professional diagram of the end piece where the holes were to be drilled. They called me 24 hours before delivery and arrived right on time. It came on a solid pallet with styrofoam covering the whole tank (and Suran wrap) between the plywood and the tank. 2x4's were helping the crate stay solid as well. Quality screws were 2" long (a lot of them)! Took me almost an hour just to unwrap it! Measurements and placement of holes were exact. I have a signed contract should something happen to the tank, they would take care of it. This was over a year ago and it's still sitting pretty. Give them a call. You won't be disappointed. Good luck.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that sounds like a good way to conduct yourself as a business.
At this point, they have started on the second tank and we're pretty much all in. I do appreciate the suggestions nonetheless.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update:

Wish me luck.

Did they provide a new updated napkin drawing?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back