450 Gallon Starphire Aquarium (AGE Build)

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 AI Hydra 52 hd over my tank which is exactly same dimensions as yours. They give great coverage and I am really happy with them.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 AI Hydra 52 hd over my tank which is exactly same dimensions as yours. They give great coverage and I am really happy with them.
Thanks for your comment. Are the recommended spread specs not accurate? The 52's say recommended spread is 24" x 24", so I figured 4x2 should cover the entire footprint.
What made you go with 10 vs 8?

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 10 of them put up 8 at first then decided on a whim to add the other two. I might take at least one of them down for a frag tank.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered 4 of the Kessil AP700's from BRS. It was really the only option that covered the 36" width with one row of lights.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently looking for return pumps. I'm thinking about two of the RO VarioS-8 (2700gph) pumps. Anyone have experience with these pumps?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently looking for return pumps. I'm thinking about two of the RO VarioS-8 (2700gph) pumps. Anyone have experience with these pumps?

I have one, it is the quietest pump I have ever heard and I've been in the aquaculture industry and reef keeping hobby since 2002. It also has had zero issues since I bought it. I haven't even taken it out to clean it since January when I installed it. Just be sure to give it as little head pressure as possible. 1.5" pvc is what I would go with for each pump.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to decide on lighting.
I've been considering a few different options, please let me know what you think if you have personal experience with these:

( Tank dimensions = 96" x 36" x 30" )

1) AI Hydra 52 x 8................................ = $4800
2) Reef Breeders Photon V2 48" x 4.... = $2600
3) Radion XR30wG4 x 8..................... = $5200
4) Kessil AP700 x 4 (36" x 24" covg)... = $3600

Because the Kessil AP700 has a minimum coverage of 36" x 24", that is the one I'm leaning towards at the moment.
The others cover 24" x 24" which means I would have to use rows of two to cover the width of the tank.
I like the price point of the Photon V2's, but I saw a video of some highly pronounced disco ball effect that scared me a bit.
Any other options I should be considering here?

I've never had any luck with LED's in general..
IMO still the best lighting for corals is Metal halide and T-5 mixture..
Can't go wrong with a giesmann infinity MH HQI / T-5 light fixture.. Half the cost of your led setups and way better coverage and dispersion of light. Wont be any shadows or disco effect that is evident with led's

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, it is the quietest pump I have ever heard and I've been in the aquaculture industry and reef keeping hobby since 2002. It also has had zero issues since I bought it. I haven't even taken it out to clean it since January when I installed it. Just be sure to give it as little head pressure as possible. 1.5" pvc is what I would go with for each pump.
Thanks for sharing. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on these, then its on to the controller.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any luck with LED's in general..
IMO still the best lighting for corals is Metal halide and T-5 mixture..
Can't go wrong with a giesmann infinity MH HQI / T-5 light fixture.. Half the cost of your led setups and way better coverage and dispersion of light. Wont be any shadows or disco effect that is evident with led's
A little late since we've already ordered the AP700's, but I appreciate your comment nonetheless. I'll let you know how they work for us.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to decide on a controller.
We're likely going with the Apex Neptune, but I see a lot of negative reviews relating to equipment failure/compatibility and lack of customer support.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune ordered, Kessil H380 ordered.
The AP700's and MP60's:
xmas.jpg

Next, I need to get the water station done so I can start curing the rock.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water station complete. Not the prettiest job, but it will do:
upload_2017-8-14_12-21-40.png

Also, more goodies arrived over the weekend!
upload_2017-8-14_12-27-28.png

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOoops!
Regal 300-S doesn't fit in the sump.
Thankfully, BRS accepted the return and helped me find another that fit (Regal 250INT).

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build, buying quality products!!!

Couple questions for you:

1. What type of business is the tank being established in?
2. Is the water station on site?
3. You have the coolest boss in the world for him to let you plop down all this loot! Is he in the hobby at home???

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build, buying quality products!!!

Couple questions for you:

1. What type of business is the tank being established in?
2. Is the water station on site?
3. You have the coolest boss in the world for him to let you plop down all this loot! Is he in the hobby at home???
Thank you for the kind words :)
1) The business is air conditioning and heating.
2) Water station is on site, located about 140 feet away from the tank. I have salt and fresh lines plumbed to the tank and sump.
3a) Yes, he is the coolest boss in the world.
3b) Nope, he is brand new to the hobby.

Initially, I purchased a 32g biocube to place in the lobby. I thought it would look nice. Once I had it all setup, my boss saw it and a very disappointed look came across his face.
"Why didn't you get a bigger one?"
So I apologized and after a short conversation I was shopping for a 400 gallon tank :eek:
Once I explained the merits of the higher priced equipment he was easily convinced to buy the good stuff. Which I love because it will make my job maintaining this beast much easier.

Edit: The 400g became 450g to accommodate dual 16" shadow overflows.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great person to work for, now do you work for HVAC company? If so, looks like you just got nominated for tank maintenance employee for all eternity....great job security right there!!!

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great person to work for, now do you work for HVAC company? If so, looks like you just got nominated for tank maintenance employee for all eternity....great job security right there!!!
Yep, I am the IT manager.
I created the website and the software the service technicians and salesmen use.
I had great job security prior to the tank, but even moreso now lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%

Back