OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added sand and mud from IPSF for some variety in the fuge. A few captive bred torch and shrooms were included, thank you Gerald!
20181229_151614.jpg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great updates!. While the PM isn't my first choice, they are a great fixture and am established company.... No question that there won't be any limitation to what you can grow!. Make sure to post updates as soon as you get that puppy installed.

Looks like some super cool stuff in your IPSF mud. I love the tiny creatures that grow in the tanks. As I see tiny starfish, worms, and critters at the LFS I ask to have them bagged, and most of the time they get thrown in for free....

Great progress!

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, updates will definitely be posted. I plan on using the Seneye for it's PAR functionality and will try to get measurements before and after swapping lights.

IPSF is awesome, great variety, captive bred, excellent service!

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water station in the garage, Spectrapure 6 stage chloramine ro/di. Starting TDS is around 70, filters last a long time :)
20181231_130633.jpg 20181231_130639.jpg

And since I was in the garage, here's a peek of my other hobby
20181231_133043.jpg

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Alkatronic considered the best alk monitor/controller available? Not sure I'll have the patience to wait for the Trident ;)

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice RODI setup - are you using a cation and anion resin bed for your last two stages?

Is that a massive intercooler I spy?. Figured you were into motorsports from the turbo avatar [emoji859]

Not sure about the best brand. If I recall, the Alkatronic is Neptune's version?. If so I might be inclined to used that, from the ease of integration standpoint.....

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last 2 stages are "SilicaBuster™ & MaxCap® High-Capacity DI Cartridges." The system works great, I recommend SpectraPure to anyone. I have low incoming TDS, but our water is treated with chloramines so I used this system https://spectrapure.com/6-Stage-Chloramine-Removal-RO-DI-System-w-SilicaBuster-MaxCap-DI

Correct on the intercooler, it does a great job keeping the air from the twin turbos cool. I still need to install the bigger fuel pumps to really turn it up, but it scoots pretty good on 4psi for now.

Alkatronic is from Focustronic, great thread if you have the time to read through it: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-honest-opinion-about-the-alkatronic.372934/ Trident is the upcoming Neptune version, the integration is a big selling point for me. The Alkatronic can send the dKH to Apex as well, from my understanding only a BNC cable is needed.

My wife is in favor of me getting the Alkatronic so she doesn't have to hear about the Trident until it's released :D

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water station in the garage, Spectrapure 6 stage chloramine ro/di. Starting TDS is around 70, filters last a long time :)
20181231_130633.jpg 20181231_130639.jpg

And since I was in the garage, here's a peek of my other hobby
20181231_133043.jpg

Nice water station, those 20 gallon tanks are perfect for my 60g setup

3519b2968e84dfcca8c87c47e3c00f4c.jpg

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local places only had vertical tanks, it took a while to find a vertical one with free shipping but I'm glad I did. I can't remember where I ordered it from though.

Alkatronic is installed, seems to be built very well. I ordered from SaltwaterAquarium.com, this was my first order and they made a great first impression. Arrived quickly and I got a free Triton ICP test.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The local places only had vertical tanks, it took a while to find a vertical one with free shipping but I'm glad I did. I can't remember where I ordered it from though.

Alkatronic is installed, seems to be built very well. I ordered from SaltwaterAquarium.com, this was my first order and they made a great first impression. Arrived quickly and I got a free Triton ICP test.

Capture.PNG

Very cool. Keep us posted on your experience with the Alkatronic....

Everything is looking great, and you're right about "the view". Great set up!

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I've had the Alkatronic setup for a few days, I'm happy to post that it's awesome! I have it testing every 4 hours and it takes 12 min to test. I'm already getting conditioned to check my phone for results at 8:12, 12:12, etc. :)

I think anyone considering any of the alk monitors will be very happy after they purchase one. I had no idea how much my tank's alk consumption changes over the day with just snails and coralline. The dKH varies from 7.31 - 7.53 depending on time of test, I'll adjust my dosing schedule to balance these swings out.

Capture.PNG

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I finally installed the ATI fixture. One bulb is broken so I'm using 2 t5 bulbs for now. 20190118_112635.jpg

Man the display is looking sweet!. It seems so much larger than a 40. The rockwork is awesome, and that light is going to make growing Sps seem like child's play.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup! I've always liked these tanks and you can't go wrong with that sump!

Question regarding the Tunze pumps, why did you swap them out in place of the gyre pumps? Did you control the tunze pumps with the apex?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man the display is looking sweet!. It seems so much larger than a 40. The rockwork is awesome, and that light is going to make growing Sps seem like child's play.

Thanks! The ReefBreeders was great, but I sure missed T5s. I'm very happy with the 36 x 18 x 16" tall dimensions. It was a nice coincidence that I can just reach all areas of the tank flatfooted.

Great looking setup! I've always liked these tanks and you can't go wrong with that sump!

Question regarding the Tunze pumps, why did you swap them out in place of the gyre pumps? Did you control the tunze pumps with the apex?

Thanks in advance!

Agreed on the Synergy sump, the refugium is almost as entertaining to watch as the display.

I swapped to the gyres because I still had a couple spots where detritus collected with the Tunze on the back wall. I tried them on the side panels, but they looked too big to me that way. I did control them with the Apex, easy to do, and they worked down to ~25-30% power. I'll probably end up selling them if you're interested :)

I tried the Gyres vertically on the back wall and detritus would pile up beneath them. Gyres on the sides seem to be the best solution and less noticeable to me than the Tunze. I do not control the Gyres through the Apex, the OGC mode on the Maxspect controller has worked so far.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped to the gyres because I still had a couple spots where detritus collected with the Tunze on the back wall. I tried them on the side panels, but they looked too big to me that way. I did control them with the Apex, easy to do, and they worked down to ~25-30% power. I'll probably end up selling them if you're interested :)

I tried the Gyres vertically on the back wall and detritus would pile up beneath them. Gyres on the sides seem to be the best solution and less noticeable to me than the Tunze. I do not control the Gyres through the Apex, the OGC mode on the Maxspect controller has worked so far.

I was talking to someone about those tunze pumps and they mentioned not being able to run them below the 30% mark. I am running 2 gyre pumps on a tank very similar and thought about trying tunze pumps out at one point. I think I would need the smaller version of these.

OP
OP
Silver14SS

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to someone about those tunze pumps and they mentioned not being able to run them below the 30% mark. I am running 2 gyre pumps on a tank very similar and thought about trying tunze pumps out at one point. I think I would need the smaller version of these.

I wanted a wider flow than the 6055, so I tried the 6095. I believe they are the same physical size with the 6095 having a wider output and more power. Too bad I couldn't make them work with my layout, Tunze quality is top notch.

Great build! I've never actually seen Tankme USA @Tankme USA before, but their tanks are quite nice looking. Any issues so far?

No issues at all, the quality is phenomenal and the build experience was great. Check out his Instagram and FB pages, Gaston can build whatever you think up! I had another custom tank built years ago by one of "the best," this experience was much better.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back