OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy you got yourself a heck of a set-up! Happy to see it went to a reefer on here, cant wait to see how it turns out!!!
Yes I did, it’s good stuff! Thanks! :)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first major obstacle was the steel beam directly behind the wall.

The beam ended and had a support post sitting where the tank needed to be. We had a buddy of mine who is a structural engineer come take a look. We had to extend the 10" I-beam 3' and move the post. So we got that done last night.

It was 100lbs plus with the 3' beam extension and the 3/4" plates. It was fun getting that lifted into place and then holding it while the 6 bolt holes were drilled in the existing beam.

IMG_20181011_222458031-4008x3006.jpg
IMG_20181011_222441171-4008x3006.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first major obstacle was the steel beam directly behind the wall.

The beam ended and had a support post sitting where the tank needed to be. We had a buddy of mine who is a structural engineer come take a look. We had to extend the 10" I-beam 3' and move the post. So we got that done last night.

It was 100lbs plus with the 3' beam extension and the 3/4" plates. It was fun getting that lifted into place and then holding it while the 6 bolt holes were drilled in the existing beam.

IMG_20181011_222458031-4008x3006.jpg
IMG_20181011_222441171-4008x3006.jpg
Kyle, you left your toys out in this picture.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this one.....looks good 4Ford!

I still don't get how an I-Beam just ends with a jack post??? Also, I'd have a slight concern, not knowing the load, with extending this three feet (and assuming a jack post to the floor) without having the jackpost on a footing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a second concern with this I-Beam and what appears to be Engineered Wood Joists (I-Joists) above. When point load is applied to I-Joists, you need to install crush blocks (squash blocks).....I don't see them.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I want to get the tank and stand set first. The stand is steel. So it has to he shimmed to level it. Once we have it set the header will be next step. The wall is non-load bearing thankfully.

Nice to have friends that know what to do;)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this one.....looks good 4Ford!

I still don't get how an I-Beam just ends with a jack post??? Also, I'd have a slight concern, not knowing the load, with extending this three feet (and assuming a jack post to the floor) without having the jackpost on a footing.
The beam didn’t really support much (it’s for the tiny room behind only) we extended it 3 feet and then added another post on the other end. So now there are two. It’s not shown, it’s just a bit to the right of the second picture. Actually the red post is visible in my first post as well but here as well :)

76896B03-342E-46DB-BA43-D8BFFCE93F8F.jpeg

Far left.

This isn’t my specialty though I’m sure @HotRocks could elaborate.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a second concern with this I-Beam and what appears to be Engineered Wood Joists (I-Joists) above. When point load is applied to I-Joists, you need to install crush blocks (squash blocks).....I don't seem them.

The existing portion has the squash block. You may not be able to see it.

We also added a second jack post, since there is a good chance we are not on the footing any longer.

This section of beam is only 12' from the concrete wall. It supports a very small small bump out in the unfinished portion of the basement.

There are two additional beams that run the entire length of the basement (from wall to wall). You'd have to see it in person likely for it to make sense.

Its the first time I have ever seen a beam just end at a post instead of running from wall to wall. It's such a small area it likely could have been constructed without. The back concrete wall is only 7' from the beam (the wall that runs parallel with beam)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing portion has the squash block. You may not be able to see it.

We also added a second jack post, since there is a good chance we are not on the footing any longer.

This section of beam is only 12' from the concrete wall. It supports a very small small bump out in the unfinished portion of the basement.

There are two additional beams that run the entire length of the basement (from wall to wall). You'd have to see it in person likely for it to make sense.

Its the first time I have ever seen a beam just end at a post instead of running from wall to wall. It's such a small area it likely could have been constructed without. The back concrete wall is only 7' from the beam (the wall that runs parallel with beam)
I guess we replied at the same time haha, only your post made a lot more sense.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, see I hooked you up with a one-of-a-kind fully custom AmericanAquariums super duper special sump :D

You hooked him up with a custom DEAL of a Lifetime!!!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back