OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily -- How is everything going on the FOWLR? Everyone growing up well together and playing nicely. Would love to see a current stock list or video. Hoping to get my 650 wet in December!
Mostly, yes. The naso never really thrives and died mysteriously.

Is there still a clown tang in there?
I have a sohal, never did get a clown though I love them! My sohal is pretty aggressive!

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! There was a clown in one of Kyle’s QT pics. Clown tangs are one of my favorite as well along with sohals. Remover about 4 years ago seeing gorgeous full grown clowns in Joe’s tank in Long Island Aquarium!
Mostly, yes. The naso never really thrives and died mysteriously.

I have a sohal, never did get a clown though I love them! My sohal is pretty aggressive!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! There was a clown in one of Kyle’s QT pics. Clown tangs are one of my favorite as well along with sohals. Remover about 4 years ago seeing gorgeous full grown clowns in Joe’s tank in Long Island Aquarium!
The sohal killed the clown in QT. :(

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks. Wonder if both introduced to the main display would have been any different?
With enough fish, namely tangs, it may have worked. My guess is probably but that sohal is particularly nasty.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re both the sohal and clown put in QT at same time! Knowing you I imagine they were. Both such stunning fish. Too bad both are a**holes!
Yup. The sohal was a hair larger which I think was part of the issue I ordered the clown larger but live aquaria had other ideas.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's such a bummer that these two fish are so aggressive. :(
It is indeed. In groups of tangs they’re usually not too bad. That QT had fewer tangs than I would have liked, partially because of bad shipments and bad luck. In any event.. lol

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which two scenarios do you think would have a higher probability of success

1. introduce simultaneously: clown, sohal,vlamingi, dussmeri, Sail fin, purple, hippo and orange shoulder?

2. Introduce all the group minus the sohal and clown. Wait a couple months then introduce a slightly smaller pair of sohal and clown into that group?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which two scenarios do you think would have a higher probability of success

1. introduce simultaneously: clown, sohal,vlamingi, dussmeri, Sail fin, purple, hippo and orange shoulder?

2. Introduce all the group minus the sohal and clown. Wait a couple months then introduce a slightly smaller pair of sohal and clown into that group?

A variant of #1.

Several at the same time, an established and much larger tang such as vlamingi or orange shoulder added first to claim territory first wouldn’t hurt. More likely to behave if they’re invaders in a large intimidating tang’s territory and with several quarantined and introduced tangs simultaneously would be ideal. Large naso genus tangs are great referees due to their intimidating size, generally calm/gentle temperaments, and dual hardware displayed for other ornery tankmates to see for when dissuasion won’t do. I call them “tank boss”. Tank bosses will need to be notably larger than later additions for best results.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will add a tang gang in two waves. First will add bigger Vlamingi and Naso. Then second wave will be the remainder of acantharus and Zebrasoma all a bit smaller than the two Naso genus. Will all be going in 650 gallon 8 ft display.
A variant of #1.

Several at the same time, an established and much larger tang such as vlamingi or orange shoulder added first to claim territory first wouldn’t hurt. More likely to behave if they’re invaders in a large intimidating tang’s territory and with several quarantined and introduced tangs simultaneously would be ideal. Large naso genus tangs are great referees due to their intimidating size, generally calm/gentle temperaments, and dual hardware displayed for other ornery tankmates to see for when dissuasion won’t do. I call them “tank boss”. Tank bosses will need to be notably larger than later additions for best results.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will add a tang gang in two waves. First will add bigger Vlamingi and Naso. Then second wave will be the remainder of acantharus and Zebrasoma all a bit smaller than the two Naso genus. Will all be going in 650 gallon 8 ft display.
That sounds like a good game plan to me! Let me know how it works out. Of course nothing is guaranteed with tangs but I think it’s your best formula for success! :)

By the way, a lone vlamingi would probably work if you didn’t want naso. Vlamingi are in the naso genus and are great for that purpose.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, didn’t mean to short change your blue head wrasse. Anyway how are the thalasomas doing?
Lunare is much bigger and a jerk but they do coexist. He took a bite out of the banana one time and since pecking order was established, the four have coexisted well. This can go very poorly as lunare are very nasty

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done....promise... is the clown trigger the only trigger in the system? Think I recall seeing a blue line in QT but not display.
Yes it is. We tried a blue line. He was an absolute terror. In fairness, my clown trigger is very very aggressive, nipping at the tail of puffers in the way at feeding time. No bad damage has been done but I’ve started feeding at two ends. Definitely don’t recommend though.

Some aren’t too bad, but they’re known for becoming increasingly nasty.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020 video/photo update
0CC3DC6C-8D74-47DF-A00E-3E7ED785BB9F.jpeg
328CB787-1072-44AB-ABEC-377B2FA2AFA5.jpeg
867CCEC9-998F-4B5E-A5D9-36217BD61A82.jpeg
A7964248-48BC-48A3-A731-225DC1C46A04.jpeg
2C684857-A167-4FAA-90E9-A9A9A243C8C4.jpeg
C89A7623-0811-48A1-8C58-BCB828281A30.jpeg

Battling hair algae on left side where there is less flow, adding power head over there today.

More water changes, added some angels. Queen angel being treated for pop eye. Next batch may be my last by and large.

Dussumeiri tang beat up before I got it, other than an occasion tassel with the Passer angel in QT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back