4ft Zebra Moray. Who wants to be vegetarian

Matt L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just joined Reef2Reef, and said hello, and someone said I can't mention the 4 ft zebra moray that lives in my system without sharing pictures. I don't know if that's an official site rule or not, as I am new here, so I thought I would share the photos just to be on the safe side, plus what I've learned over the years of reefing about living with a zebra moray eel.

IMG_1384.jpg

This is the best I could do.
The eel's name is Murray, and he (or she) is 12 years old (at least), as I've owned him since 2011, and he was already about 2 ft long when I purchased him. I used to feed Murray by hand when he was small, but Murray can be a little rambunctious around feeding time. If you would like to know what the sensation of getting bitten by a smallish zebra moray feels like, place your hand on a table and whack it with a claw hammer as hard as you can*. I now use tongs. Their eyesight is poor, but their sense of smell is very keen. Murray took an unexpected tumble out of the tank during our recent move in August. It won't surprise you to know that eels are, in fact, slippery, as the expression goes. VERY slippery. Eels are also really strong. The expression never said anything about their strength. It takes two full grown adults to safely handle an eel the size of Murray. Covering the eel with a blanket or towel can be used for a gentle rescue. Eels like to wander around their homes, and that may come in use if you need to perform a rescue. Murray also would like to be a vegetarian, and would be enthusiastic for Nori if I fed it to him.

This is what I think of every time he goes for the Nori clip

All joking in this thread aside, I'm curious if any other eel owners have experienced eels with a preference for seaweed? I solve this by putting the seaweed clip out for the other fish in the tank only after Murray has been fed.

IMG_1379.jpg

This is what I used to get the above photo.

Lastly, Murray is a one-fish nitrate factory. It's not even a little. It's a LOT of nitrate to have to process. But he's a member of the family, and when I had a display tank, he was one of everyone's favorite inhabitants.

Matt:cool:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels would usually get their green nutrients from the guts and assimilation from the nutrients consumed from their prey. Perhaps after trying some out of curiousity, he got a nutrient bump and now has a craving. I'm a predator guy and if my preds aren't eating gut loaded live foods, I would occasionally stuff some algae pellets into chunks of food. You must be treating him right since you:ve had him that long.

OP
OP
Matt L.

Matt L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels would usually get their green nutrients from the guts and assimilation from the nutrients consumed from their prey. Perhaps after trying some out of curiousity, he got a nutrient bump and now has a craving. I'm a predator guy and if my preds aren't eating gut loaded live foods, I would occasionally stuff some algae pellets into chunks of food. You must be treating him right since you:ve had him that long.
I just assumed it was the magnet on the algae clip, perhaps he can sense it, but that makes more sense. He normally eats shrimp or scallops. I used to feed silversides but he isn’t too keen on them and I wondered if that was really naturally a part of his diet.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just assumed it was the magnet on the algae clip, perhaps he can sense it, but that makes more sense. He normally eats shrimp or scallops. I used to feed silversides but he isn’t too keen on them and I wondered if that was really naturally a part of his diet.

Silversides would not be at the top of his list, as they are pebbletooth, which would have crustaceans as their main diet. In captivity a good brand of silversides like Hikari or Gamma would be a good addition for the guts and bones. You're doing a great job as most don't last much more than a few years, really most alot less. The algae will be great for his digestion. Mussels are also great, and a great source of vit B1, Gamma also has a nice pack of mussels.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just joined Reef2Reef, and said hello, and someone said I can't mention the 4 ft zebra moray that lives in my system without sharing pictures. I don't know if that's an official site rule or not, as I am new here, so I thought I would share the photos just to be on the safe side, plus what I've learned over the years of reefing about living with a zebra moray eel.

IMG_1384.jpg

This is the best I could do.
The eel's name is Murray, and he (or she) is 12 years old (at least), as I've owned him since 2011, and he was already about 2 ft long when I purchased him. I used to feed Murray by hand when he was small, but Murray can be a little rambunctious around feeding time. If you would like to know what the sensation of getting bitten by a smallish zebra moray feels like, place your hand on a table and whack it with a claw hammer as hard as you can*. I now use tongs. Their eyesight is poor, but their sense of smell is very keen. Murray took an unexpected tumble out of the tank during our recent move in August. It won't surprise you to know that eels are, in fact, slippery, as the expression goes. VERY slippery. Eels are also really strong. The expression never said anything about their strength. It takes two full grown adults to safely handle an eel the size of Murray. Covering the eel with a blanket or towel can be used for a gentle rescue. Eels like to wander around their homes, and that may come in use if you need to perform a rescue. Murray also would like to be a vegetarian, and would be enthusiastic for Nori if I fed it to him.

This is what I think of every time he goes for the Nori clip

All joking in this thread aside, I'm curious if any other eel owners have experienced eels with a preference for seaweed? I solve this by putting the seaweed clip out for the other fish in the tank only after Murray has been fed.

IMG_1379.jpg

This is what I used to get the above photo.

Lastly, Murray is a one-fish nitrate factory. It's not even a little. It's a LOT of nitrate to have to process. But he's a member of the family, and when I had a display tank, he was one of everyone's favorite inhabitants.

Murray is gorgeous!! Thank you for posting this. I love hearing experienced Reefers talk about owning such amazing animals like this over such a long time.
And I know you were joking but when you mention such a cool creature, we all love to see them! Maybe someday, I will also have an eel. Good to know how to handle an escape since that’s one of my biggest worries with them! Lucky you were able to get him in time. Silly Murray, the water is where you belong. :cool:

Back