OP
OP
305Reefer

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what color are they really? Can you post a video of them with a more full spectrum light?

Thats what they look like if you wear orange glasses or put a filter on your camera... I didnt do any editing, just used the Polyp Lab v2 clip on filter. I actually grow them under full blues and dont have any white lights, so no I cant... My SPS and LPS tanks I run white lights on but zoas just look so much better on full blues with glasses on, so thats how I record them. But in all honesty, with some glasses on thats exactly what they look like.

OP
OP
305Reefer

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice collection. Do you have a display tank with zoas or just the frag tank?

For now just the frag tank, but I have a IM Nuvo 25 Lagoon that will soon be my zoa display tank. It will be a few months though as Im currently using it as a QT tank for acropora.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures/videos of your tank with the larger colonies? Those things are great! Do you have a place big enough to keep them all when they grow out?!?!

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy s#!@, your collection rocks dude. Enthusiast like yourself helps to motivate other Reefers to move forward regardless of the trouble some of us have faced with our tanks. Thanks for posting, I needed that this morning with my coffee. [emoji106]

OP
OP
305Reefer

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words everyone!!! Yesterday/Today I fragged the tank. I made 475 multipolyp frags and I’m maybe half way thru.. I filled half my 80g frag tank with frags! Super stoked to use them to trade. End game is to own every single dang zoa that’s hot on the market.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You have a really excellent collection- really nice to see some big colonies growing in. You didn't mention these guys. Are they incinerators or something else?
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.21.16 AM.png

OP
OP
305Reefer

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a really excellent collection- really nice to see some big colonies growing in. You didn't mention these guys. Are they incinerators or something else?
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.21.16 AM.png

You got it, rainbow incinerators. One of the first I ever got and definitely one of my favorites. Ive probably made 1000 polyps in two years, they grow insanely well in my tank.

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy s#!@, your collection rocks dude. Enthusiast like yourself helps to motivate other Reefers to move forward regardless of the trouble some of us have faced with our tanks. Thanks for posting, I needed that this morning with my coffee. [emoji106]
Inspirational

This is very motivating

EF2085CE-F395-4351-ACCE-CD0CA2AD673E.jpeg

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever have issues with zoas melting or shriveling up? Seems like you have tons of different zoas that are all happy with big polyps.

OP
OP
305Reefer

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever have issues with zoas melting or shriveling up? Seems like you have tons of different zoas that are all happy with big polyps.

That is absolutely not the case. Zoas are finnicky jerks, and the more varieties you keep in the same tank the more often you will see melts or unhappy specimens.. Dont be discouraged. I asked alot of zoa people that exact same question. Some went as far as to show me buckets filled with empty plugs. The secret is to make as many frags and grow out pieces as possible and have them spread throughout as many systems and friends as possible, so if you melt something, its not the only one. I try to have 3 full colonies before I cut frags for trade/sell/share/gift.. I will frag up one colony, take one of the frags from that colony to restart a growout and distribute the rest. Some zoas melt when they are too densely on a single plug, others melt when you cut them, some melt for lord knows what reason. People always say acros are delicate and require care, but I loose zoas far more often than acros.

OP
OP
305Reefer

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said there are things to do to keep zoas happy. Basting them clean on a regular basis, having good flow, having the right zoas in the right light, using chemiclean when you see things acting weird, having furan, lugols, seachem reef dip, hydrogen peroxide, revive, etc on hand. Brushing plugs clean of algae, having green or yellow coris wrasses to manage any potential pests that could pop up, keeping them free of aiptasia, etc... the more time you look at them and care for them, the less melting you will have... which is weird cus you sorta aren't doing anything, you just have to watch them and be proactive.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back