4th times a charm- Red Sea XXL625 build

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is delayed again. Looks like the end of December. Been working on rockscape a little more. This is very time consuming. The top shelf is not permanent, just trying different options.
DB8936D7-FA48-4CC5-BEE7-1EE7C05DAB1A.jpeg

Looking good, i just ordered a new tank. Wondering if any of the landscaping companies has and coral Olite rock for sale? Where did you get yours?

OP
OP
currentking

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, i just ordered a new tank. Wondering if any of the landscaping companies has and coral Olite rock for sale? Where did you get yours?
My rock is from Marco Rocks. What tank did you order? I should have plenty of rock left over when I’m done I could probably give you.

OP
OP
currentking

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
currentking

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited! Went today and picked up the tank from the LFS as they couldn’t deliver to my house for another 10 days.
0016177D-5416-4EFC-B80B-696EF32BCD81.jpeg

then I open everything up and it’s the wrong color stand... ugh!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bummer,how soon before replacement? any idea?:(

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided on my aquascape for the left side And tank apparently shipped on Friday so I should have it this Friday!
19B3873E-F8F7-4EC9-A2E9-F388F3A2C7C8.jpeg
19108BCF-A8B0-4615-8407-BBBC3D99C66F.jpeg
Looks great, you nailed those shelves and the open channel between. I am about to order some rock. may need your advise on how to spec my order. Also just took delivery of my Proclear 150. Oooboy the wife was not amused by the size lol.

OP
OP
currentking

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, you nailed those shelves and the open channel between. I am about to order some rock. may need your advise on how to spec my order. Also just took delivery of my Proclear 150. Oooboy the wife was not amused by the size lol.
I have tons of rock left over. hit me up.
241B9BAE-3AC4-46BA-9517-D1E930A8762A.jpeg

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the offer and to connect with you. Is there a day and time convenient to you? Anything you need that I could offer? Thank you, Zag

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 625 club. Take a look at my build if you want to see how not to do it. LOL

If you plan on modifying the plumbing I found the perfect PVC adapter. Look at the article here:

Are you going bare bottom or going to have sand in that system? All that rock sitting flat on the surface will trap junk, lots of junk. I can tell you from my first aquascape that it was a pain to deal with. My new aquascape allows for flow under the rock and will keep the tank cleaner. Since I had to rebuild my entire system I'm learning from my mistakes.

I know you got that fancy sump and skimmer... I don't think you will really need it, the stock sump does a great job as is. I know you didn't ask.. Odds are you are going to want a much bigger ATO. I ran an external 15G for a while then moved up to 55G. This tanks average evaporation is 1.5G per day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
currentking

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 625 club. Take a look at my build if you want to see how not to do it. LOL

If you plan on modifying the plumbing I found the perfect PVC adapter. Look at the article here:

Are you going bare bottom or going to have sand in that system? All that rock sitting flat on the surface will trap junk, lots of junk. I can tell you from my first aquascape that it was a pain to deal with. My new aquascape allows for flow under the rock and will keep the tank cleaner. Since I had to rebuild my entire system I'm learning from my mistakes.

I know you got that fancy sump and skimmer... I don't think you will really need it, the stock sump does a great job as is. I know you didn't ask.. Odds are you are going to want a much bigger ATO. I ran an external 15G for a while then moved up to 55G. This tanks average evaporation is 1.5G per day.
I do plan on modifying the plumbing and have all the parts tanks(intended) to #Broadfield and #Rudzbrewski . I will be going with Carib Sea special grade. I do plan on plumbing a RODI unit directly to the ATO eventually as well(by March) so that will eliminate the issue with the small ATO.

The rocks on the bottom are not attached to the rest of the rock work so they can be pulled up easily. I have a lot of acans (about 25 different ones) and those rocks are intended to house my garden. I was planning on putting the rock and then the sand. Do you think that this will still create an issue? The rock that is glued together actually has very little touching the bottom.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do plan on modifying the plumbing and have all the parts tanks(intended) to #Broadfield and #Rudzbrewski . I will be going with Carib Sea special grade. I do plan on plumbing a RODI unit directly to the ATO eventually as well(by March) so that will eliminate the issue with the small ATO.

The rocks on the bottom are not attached to the rest of the rock work so they can be pulled up easily. I have a lot of acans (about 25 different ones) and those rocks are intended to house my garden. I was planning on putting the rock and then the sand. Do you think that this will still create an issue? The rock that is glued together actually has very little touching the bottom.
I understand the methods created by many used to modify the plumbing. However do yourself a favor and read my article. The adapter from 32mm to 1” pipe is the best thing for the job. I say this from experience as I used the other methods till I found this adapter. It makes for a much better flow than the 3/4” threaded adapter.

BIG caution on hooking RODI straight to your system. 1. The initial water that comes out of any RODI unit is trash water. It has a TDS reading. Most units need to get purged of about a gallon before you get to zero tds. The unit will go on and off allot as a ATO it will cause your system TDS to climb quickly. 2. If anything in the line fails between the RODI unit and your ATO shutoff it’s an endless amount of fresh water that will drop your salinity and flood your house. Most will fill a tank of some kind with pure TDS free water and store it using that as their ATO source water. Using the RODI to refill the tank after purging the system.

Your bottom rock should be fine if you have sand. The sand will develop bacteria to eat through the stuff that gets into the rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
currentking

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the methods created by many used to modify the plumbing. However do yourself a favor and read my article. The adapter from 32mm to 1” pipe is the best thing for the job. I say this from experience as I used the other methods till I found this adapter. It makes for a much better flow than the 3/4” threaded adapter.

BIG caution on hooking RODI straight to your system. 1. The initial water that comes out of any RODI unit is trash water. It has a TDS reading. Most units need to get purged of about a gallon before you get to zero tds. The unit will go on and off allot as a ATO it will cause your system TDS to climb quickly. 2. If anything in the line fails between the RODI unit and your ATO shutoff it’s an endless amount of fresh water that will drop your salinity and flood your house. Most will fill a tank of some kind with pure TDS free water and store it using that as their ATO source water. Using the RODI to refill the tank after purging the system.

Your bottom rock should be fine if you have sand. The sand will develop bacteria to eat through the stuff that gets into the rocks.
Thanks for showing me this. Let’s hope I can get the part by Friday. Very much appreciated.

OP
OP
currentking

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for showing me this. Let’s hope I can get the part by Friday. Very much appre

I received the parts in today since I. Overnighted them. $9 bucks for parts and $67 shipping... ugh! Well at least they provided me a copy of the Constitution!
663D0958-BE62-40E8-8F66-95AFFF697839.jpeg

Back