5 Gallon Pest (Anemone) Tank

reefjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old thread but cool inspiration! Setting up a Lifegard 4.14 Pico. Main attractions will be Bali red mini carpet anemones and hopefully, if I can get my hands on them, some bright gracilis anemones!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been mulling the idea of a pest tank for quite awhile...and finally pulled the trigger. One of my LFS was closing because the owner is retiring and while browsing through the store, I noticed a lot of different majanos and other hitchhiking anemones. This gave me the push I needed! (Admittedly, I had him nix a few on frags I bought before I decided to do the tank... :/ )

My game plan was to buy or get donated every type of pest and hitchhiker I could find in the LFS as a starting point. These are mostly anemones (aphasia, majanos, gracious, and a bunch of unknowns) along with asterina stars, a few bristle worms, mini brittlestars, Denis, and some poop brown zoas... and for fun, I tossed in a pistol shrimp figuring it needed a new home since it was the last day of the store.

Equipment:

*Marineland Portrait, 5G... started with the idea of a Petco 3.7G but the display area was too small for the amount of rocks with anemones attached I bought (almost had to switch to a Fluval Spec 5G because of this but really wanted this to be in a tall cube for aesthetics)
*Hydor pico 300 pump to replace the stock
*Reclaimed NatGeo 25W heater from My one of my FW tanks (btw, this is one of the best preset heaters imo)
*I also bought a hydor 180 in case i needed more flow but decided not to use it... the Pico 300 open wode has more than enough flow.
*Filtration wise, I am using stock media basket, and pads for now
*Light-wise, still undecided. I bought a Fluval Sea Nano (the older model with 156 LEDs) cheap off eBay for about $50 to use for this project. I also have a new Kessil A80 that i might try for more interesting color.

Water wise, my first fill is 50% from my existing tank and 50% filtered NSW. I am toying with the idea of future changes using dechlorinated tap based on water report for my city showing relatively low TDS, and this is a tank of the unwanteds, after all. :)

Here are a few shots of the tank in progress...with rocks in near final arrangement. Like playing with a jigsaw puzzle... trying to fit all those rocks in such a tight space while also wanting to easily see every rock / variety from the front. I may play with this some more...

For fun, how many different anemones can you spot / recognize? :)

20180101_040429.jpg
20180101_040153.jpg
20180101_040454.jpg
Get a mummichog for extra atmosphere weird tank feeling

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but cool inspiration! Setting up a Lifegard 4.14 Pico. Main attractions will be Bali red mini carpet anemones and hopefully, if I can get my hands on them, some bright gracilis anemones!
Sadly, I had a bit of a mishap... resulting in all my gracilis going bye bye. But, if you are in need to source some, I can see if folks I;ve sold in gracilis to in the past might have some to spare.

reefjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, I had a bit of a mishap... resulting in all my gracilis going bye bye. But, if you are in need to source some, I can see if folks I;ve sold in gracilis to in the past might have some to spare.
That would be great! Cool if they're local or willing to ship to the Bay Area in California!

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great! Cool if they're local or willing to ship to the Bay Area in California!
Ironically, i am in the Bay Area. Lol.

Lemme ping the other folks and see if any of them has any to spare

flexJoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoCrazed How is your tank doing??

I am new to the saltwater variant of fish-keeping. And I am starting a low-tech low-budget tank. I want it to be as natural as possible. I got a big live rock with 5 or more anemones.
But everywhere people say: get rid of them as soon as possible.

I like your idea very much. And would like to know if it works out well.
Greetz, flexJoly

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoCrazed How is your tank doing??

I am new to the saltwater variant of fish-keeping. And I am starting a low-tech low-budget tank. I want it to be as natural as possible. I got a big live rock with 5 or more anemones.
But everywhere people say: get rid of them as soon as possible.

I like your idea very much. And would like to know if it works out well.
Greetz, flexJoly
After my mishap, I restarted it with some new random nems and some invasive algae... still very much no maintenance and organic. Great desk tank...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back