5 Gallon Nano Build

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added corals, looks like I need some more flow. Any suggestions on a really small power head for a 5 gallon pico tank?

87970280-BCF4-4CA5-939E-B39DE33A8964.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good question - I'm curious to hear the feedback from the community. One of my tanks is a 10g nano and I have been looking at setting up a pico tank as well. One of the options that I have looked at is the Hydor Pico Evo-mag.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question - I'm curious to hear the feedback from the community. One of my tanks is a 10g nano and I have been looking at setting up a pico tank as well. One of the options that I have looked at is the Hydor Pico Evo-mag.
Yes I’m thinking I only need 100 GPH or less, not much too choose from

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

Here’s three different options of return pumps for your pico. The first two will give you about 159gph. Using any of these will eliminate the need for an actual powerhead inside your tank. You should consider making a build thread for your tank and receive your badge! :)

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

Here’s three different options of return pumps for your pico. The first two will give you about 159gph. Using any of these will eliminate the need for an actual powerhead inside your tank. You should consider making a build thread for your tank and receive your badge! :)

I didn't even think of just getting a bigger return pump, great idea!

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

Thanks order 2 pumps the sicce is going to be tight, we will see what will fit. Also ordered a nano ATO...think I have $300 into a $60 tank:oops:

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I make a build thread?
Go over to the nano/pico section and create a post/thread at the top. Once you’re happy with it, go to account details and scroll down to the bottom where it says R2R tank thread. Post your link there and you should receive your build thread badge. Also, you can click on anyone’s badge to pull up their thread. Good luck!

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to second guess the cycling of my tank...I filled it with water and live rock two weeks ago never got a chance to test it until Thursday this past week.
PH 8.1
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

No inverts or fish, just coral that I can take out in a moments notice. I've never cycled a tank in two weeks before I'm wondering if I should yank the corals and dump in some Microbacter 7 to see what happens.

Thoughts???

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add an ammonia source such as Dr. Tim’s, food, or rotting shrimp?
Nope just sand water and live rock from my other tank, the only thing new was the glass that holds the water. Expected a little mini cycle but figured I missed it the week prior

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Sorry, I missed the part where you said you put live rock from your other system into this one. You should be good on the cycle. It never hurts to add beneficial bacteria like Microbacter 7.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coming along nicely, added a few new corals from my big display tank and a Pistol shrimp. This pretty much was an instant reef tank, one week cycle with live rock from the big main display tank.

Been doing a 25% water change and everyone seems to be happy, this tank was started mid January not quite a month yet.
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back