5 gallon Reef Bowl & Reef Vase - Build Thread (Lots of photos!)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0044.jpeg

Last edited:

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered to dose vibrant microbacter clean / brightwell or any other algae killers? I think that this length of hair algae there's no much cuc that would eat...

I know that sometimes looks like cheating lol but if you keep good husbandry afterwards it's very likely to clean it up "forever"

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered to dose vibrant microbacter clean / brightwell or any other algae killers? I think that this length of hair algae there's no much cuc that would eat...

I know that sometimes looks like cheating lol but if you keep good husbandry afterwards it's very likely to clean it up "forever"
I just manually pick it off during water changes when all the water gets removed and it has been getting better. I think its been persisting bc I have an emerald crab that likes to uproot and eat any macro algae I add in. Lucky for the crab I like it - I recently gave up on the macros.

I have microbacter7 on hand used to start my other tank, but every time I test the nutrients it seems bottomed out so I thought it would be pointless to add. I do have reef flux on hand - I am guessing this is bryposis with the bottomed out tests, but was hoping to avoid using reeflux on this tank.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just manually pick it off during water changes when all the water gets removed and it has been getting better. I think its been persisting bc I have an emerald crab that likes to uproot and eat any macro algae I add in. Lucky for the crab I like it - I recently gave up on the macros.

I have microbacter7 on hand used to start my other tank, but every time I test the nutrients it seems bottomed out so I thought it would be pointless to add. I do have reef flux on hand - I am guessing this is bryposis with the bottomed out tests, but was hoping to avoid using reeflux on this

Actually the product I mentioned is a different than the one you have.

Microbacter clean or Vibrant (i guess this is more famous) will strike right on those persistent algaes what grow on rocks and frags. It will make any other macros melt as well.

I have myself a emerald crab and macros, but that dude is eating them all - among the bubble algaes.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the product I mentioned is a different than the one you have.

Microbacter clean or Vibrant (i guess this is more famous) will strike right on those persistent algaes what grow on rocks and frags. It will make any other macros melt as well.

I have myself a emerald crab and macros, but that dude is eating them all - among the bubble algaes.
Haha typical emeralds. If it wasnt such a small tank it wouldnt be an issue, but I could only really put in small portions of start macros (and it always gets to them)

I will look into microbacter clean and vibrant! Thank you.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update shot on the Reef Bowl. I’ll try get some better photos today.

Corraline algae is started to buildup in spots on the glass. Not sure the best way to get it off with the curved glass. As of now that’s really been my only problem with this tank.

IMG_1821.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a fun project! I'm tempted to try something similar. Loved seeing the progress pics through the algae outbreak; IME dosing chemicals to speed up the process has only given me more headaches.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done and fun to see :D
Thank you very much! Agreed it has been probably my favorite tank project ever and ironically the smallest.

Such a fun project! I'm tempted to try something similar. Loved seeing the progress pics through the algae outbreak; IME dosing chemicals to speed up the process has only given me more headaches.
Go for it! Super cheap, barely any equipment, can start with like no rock or corals, and if it goes bad you dont lose much. It almost seems like way more people should be starting like this. I guess balance is more difficult with the smaller tanks though.

Some of the best advice I ever got is to not freak out about algae your first 6 months. It is just part of the cycling process. Although it is amazing to see some tanks at 3 months filled with corals and no algae! That never happens with me lol.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back