5 gallon reef tank lighting and coral placement

logan.5g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5.5 gallon reef tank I set up around 3 months ago. I use a hipagero( I think I spelt that correctly ) reef tank light from Amazon at the lowest setting. My current dilemma is a new pulsing Xenia and it doesn’t seem to be thriving or doing very well. I have it placed rather high in the tank and was wondering if the light could be causing this could be the issues. I tested the water, and salinity and everything seems to be good. What should I do from here?
Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hipagero is fine, you are just running it at a very low intensity. I would max out the blue and do whatever white you like. However, I can't say it is the light without seeing the test results for the tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

logan.5g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the response!
When you say see the test results are you referring to the water tests or just how the coral reacts to the increase in lighting?

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the response!
When you say see the test results are you referring to the water tests or just how the coral reacts to the increase in lighting?

The water tests. I also want to add that when you raise the light intensity, do it gradually. This might help. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hipargero-led-on-12-gal-hex-measurements.601017/

If you prefer a more white/natural light look, you can run the white channel higher and not have the blue at 100%. For reference in regards to the numbers on that sheet, I'd put xenia around 100ish.

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5.5 gallon reef tank I set up around 3 months ago. I use a hipagero( I think I spelt that correctly ) reef tank light from Amazon at the lowest setting. My current dilemma is a new pulsing Xenia and it doesn’t seem to be thriving or doing very well. I have it placed rather high in the tank and was wondering if the light could be causing this could be the issues. I tested the water, and salinity and everything seems to be good. What should I do from here?
Thanks
Welcome to Da Reef! Post some pics.
Ocean Life GIF

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one is a bit better so maybe this if you turn it way down and then you can use it on a larger tank in the future

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hipargero is perfectly fine for growth in the tank that size right now, just if you wanted controlability in the future and more colors these may be a better option, just my opinion

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back