5 minute $4 frozen food feeder

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'd been wanting to get something to feed my frozen food to my fish, but some of the ones online where you drop a cube in and let it defrost are quite pricy so I decided to make my own.

Materials-
Plastic canvas- Already had but would've cost $1
Feeding ring- Already had $3
Sharpie
Bowl (to trace a circle)
Scissors
Iron
Lighter
Wax/Parchment paper

Cut a PacMan out of the plastic canvas.
IMG_1224.JPG

Put the iron on the hottest setting and tested to make sure plastic canvas would actually melt to itself.
TIP- don't hold it too long or it just melts into a sheet
IMG_1228.JPG

Curl the PacMan to a cone shape and iron.
TIP- the bigger PacMan's mouth is the taller and more narrow the cone and it will drop into the water further. Next time I'm giving PacMan a bigger mouth.
TIP- Make sure you wait for it to cool before pulling the paper off or you may have to iron it again.
IMG_1226.JPG

I had a little gap where it was sharp and I didn't want the fish to get cut so I took a lighter to it for a few seconds so there were no sharp edges.
IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

Stuck it in the ring feeder and done!
I can remove it and rinse it out without messing around too much in the tank and my feeding ring remains for when I feed flakes and floating pellets.
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG

Thoughts for next time- This works for blood worms, I haven't tried it with anything more chunky, it probably won't work without modification. If I knew I was going to be feeding a lot of chunky foods I would probably take a hole punch and make some bigger holes everywhere I could BEFORE I iron it all around PacMan's mouth and throat area so it's at the bottom of the cone once it's fused, you won't be able to get a hole punch in there from the top of the cone.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice DIY!!:)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could alway get some clear tubing and cut one side, the place the tubing around the top:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back