5 mo critique - no holds barred :)

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of click bait, but that's essentially what I'm after.

I've seen a few brave souls post their troubles this week and get some really great feedback. I'm prone to babble on some, so I'll try to be to the point.

1 - SPS stn'ng
2 - brown crud in sand
3 - unhappy frogspawn
4 - Orange coraline?

History - tank is 5 mo old since fully cycled. Most corals 2-4 mo old.
Generally been going very well. Coraline coming in hard, fish healthy, corals doing well (aside from noted).

Have been battling for stability for the past two months. Had 1-2dkh alk swings in June due to precipitation-dose more-precipitate more cycle. Also had some N and P swings in July. Rocks and substrate finally exhausted of P. I run a chaeto fuge as primary export. Once P bottomed at 0, Nitrate quickly climbed up to 60sh. Dosing P has brought N down to 20-30. I'm still dialing that in. The tank is chewing through .10-.15ppm P a day.

Parameters (generally)
9.2dkh
425 calc
8.3 ph
1400 mag
25 nitrate
.08 - .18 phosphate

fulltank.jpeg

(above) full tank shot for reference. Par 70-100 @ sandbed, 120-140 mid rockface, 180-220 top of scape

c
browninsand.jpeg
I have black sand. What are these brown blotchy patches? Easy to vacuum out. Cyano?

brownsandwide.jpeg

wider view of brown blotchy

frgspwn.jpeg
stn.jpeg

Coral issues - I have a frogspawn that has stopped opening up much. When it was happy, it used to open to near hockey puck size. Now, shot glass at best. One day I turned it 180 degrees and it has never been the same. A neighboring hammer is fine. However, both are at least 4 mo in tank and no growth or new heads. A newer duncan has five new heads.

A neighbor gifted me two acro frags. I believe the one pictured is called a rainbow granulosa. Tank was only 3 mo old when they went in. They were doing well, but the phosphate nitrate and alkalinity battle that all kind of happened at once took a toll. A staghorn frag (not pictured) has stn'd 1-2mm from the plug. This one stn'd tips and base. Losses have stopped on both for a week or so. Hope for regrowth or cut off dead, dip, and re-glue?

coraline.jpeg

I have some healthy coraline on the bits of live rock and even the dry I started with. Most is the classic light purple. Look just to the right and just below the gold pavona though? I have orange something or other? Not sure it's gonna show in the pic. Any ideas?

Softies growing well, most have doubled or tripled. LPS holding or growing. Seems to be starting to take off. SPS (aside from orange pavona that is doing well) either treading water or doing poorly.

Kalkwasser in ato. Manual magnesium dose. Miracle mud and water changes for trace. Weekly 10-15% wc.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A bit of click bait, but that's essentially what I'm after.

I've seen a few brave souls post their troubles this week and get some really great feedback. I'm prone to babble on some, so I'll try to be to the point.

1 - SPS stn'ng
2 - brown crud in sand
3 - unhappy frogspawn
4 - Orange coraline?

History - tank is 5 mo old since fully cycled. Most corals 2-4 mo old.
Generally been going very well. Coraline coming in hard, fish healthy, corals doing well (aside from noted).

Have been battling for stability for the past two months. Had 1-2dkh alk swings in June due to precipitation-dose more-precipitate more cycle. Also had some N and P swings in July. Rocks and substrate finally exhausted of P. I run a chaeto fuge as primary export. Once P bottomed at 0, Nitrate quickly climbed up to 60sh. Dosing P has brought N down to 20-30. I'm still dialing that in. The tank is chewing through .10-.15ppm P a day.

Parameters (generally)
9.2dkh
425 calc
8.3 ph
1400 mag
25 nitrate
.08 - .18 phosphate

fulltank.jpeg

(above) full tank shot for reference. Par 70-100 @ sandbed, 120-140 mid rockface, 180-220 top of scape

c
browninsand.jpeg
I have black sand. What are these brown blotchy patches? Easy to vacuum out. Cyano?

brownsandwide.jpeg

wider view of brown blotchy

Coral issues - I have a frogspawn that has stopped opening up much. When it was happy, it used to open to near hockey puck size. Now, shot glass at best. One day I turned it 180 degrees and it has never been the same. A neighboring hammer is fine. However, both are at least 4 mo in tank and no growth or new heads. A newer duncan has five new heads.

A neighbor gifted me two acro frags. I believe the one pictured is called a rainbow granulosa. Tank was only 3 mo old when they went in. They were doing well, but the phosphate nitrate and alkalinity battle that all kind of happened at once took a toll. A staghorn frag (not pictured) has stn'd 1-2mm from the plug. This one stn'd tips and base. Losses have stopped on both for a week or so. Hope for regrowth or cut off dead, dip, and re-glue?

I have some healthy coraline on the bits of live rock and even the dry I started with. Most is the classic light purple. Look just to the right and just below the gold pavona though? I have orange something or other? Not sure it's gonna show in the pic. Any ideas?

Softies growing well, most have doubled or tripled. LPS holding or growing. Seems to be starting to take off. SPS (aside from orange pavona that is doing well) either treading water or doing poorly.

Kalkwasser in ato. Manual magnesium dose. Miracle mud and water changes for trace. Weekly 10-15% wc.

Bump

#reefsquad #coral #Acropora

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are almost over the hump for initial stability. There may still be swings, but I have found once coralline takes hold on previously dead rock and your nitrates and phosphates are in a decent range, things get easier.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back