5 Months of SPS growth...

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have been in the hobby for approximately 4 years now. I realized after breaking down 2 tanks and starting my 3rd tank that I finally reached a point where I can finally not be disappointed every time I glance at my aquarium.

Here is 1 of 21 frags from my SPS dominated tank. It isn't anything extravagant BUT for all the let downs in this hobby especially SPS on this journey, i thought i'd share 5 months of progress.

Any advice please share!

January 21, 2022
IMG_8074.jpg

June 26, 2022
IMG_6243.JPG

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice growth. How are the other 20 doing? You sparked my interest as I am in the same place now that you were 5 months ago including multiple tanks tear downs and now doing an sps dominant tank. I have a lot of frags and am waiting for my new mostly branch rock scape to cure so I can put it in and start gluing frags down.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Very nice. I live watching new frags build up their base before exploding growth outward
It seems that’s what they like to do before taking off

Nice growth. How are the other 20 doing? You sparked my interest as I am in the same place now that you were 5 months ago including multiple tanks tear downs and now doing an sps dominant tank. I have a lot of frags and am waiting for my new mostly branch rock scape to cure so I can put it in and start gluing frags down.
the other twenty are doing the same except for the Walt Disney it is just encrusting on the base but not taking off with other branches yet.

One thing I did this time around is keep the rock work below half the tank height so there is plenty of room for growth later in the future

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I did this time around is keep the rock work below half the tank height so there is plenty of room for growth later in the future
Exactly what I did. Research and learn from others mistakes! Hopefully I have similar luck. My frags are on racks but doing well and coloring up now that I have enough light on them. Hopefully the next 5 months will be just as good for you or even better.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Exactly what I did. Research and learn from others mistakes! Hopefully I have similar luck. My frags are on racks but doing well and coloring up now that I have enough light on them. Hopefully the next 5 months will be just as good for you or even better.
i'm hoping so man

I mean i've learned something from this hobby and it's patience. I remember when i first started up i would dose something and wait for instant results.. like you said hopefully in 5 months (not 5 days) there is much more to share.

Anything you do in particular for dosing ? I've tried acro power , and another brand but usually i get red cyano instantly. I stick to just feeding fish

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm hoping so man

I mean i've learned something from this hobby and it's patience. I remember when i first started up i would dose something and wait for instant results.. like you said hopefully in 5 months (not 5 days) there is much more to share.

Anything you do in particular for dosing ? I've tried acro power , and another brand but usually i get red cyano instantly. I stick to just feeding fish
I get ya on patience, it was one of the hardest things for me to learn and I'm still working on it. I was dosing 2 part but for now I'm keeping alk and cal stable with kalk in my ato. I had to dose some sodium Nitrate because my nitrates bottomed out but have been holding steady recently. Other that that I don't add anything. I try to keep things as simple as I can.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I get ya on patience, it was one of the hardest things for me to learn and I'm still working on it. I was dosing 2 part but for now I'm keeping alk and cal stable with kalk in my ato. I had to dose some sodium Nitrate because my nitrates bottomed out but have been holding steady recently. Other that that I don't add anything. I try to keep things as simple as I can.
How’s the ATO dosing work? I’ve always been concerned that the fluctuation causes instability. One day you evaporate 2 gallons the other day 1 gallon

I noticed going back to 10% wc weekly helps restore trace elements my carx or dosing might miss

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the ATO dosing work? I’ve always been concerned that the fluctuation causes instability. One day you evaporate 2 gallons the other day 1 gallon

I noticed going back to 10% wc weekly helps restore trace elements my carx or dosing might miss
On my reefer 170, which is the one I'm doing SPS in it works very well but the tank is only 24x20. I have another tank with LPS and nems that I use a dosing pump on a timer for kalk for the reasons you stated. It's a 180 6ft with A 125 6ft as a sump so much more surface area for evaporation.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back