5 new bryopsis challenges are posted, and all can be cured using a rasp and a test rock

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. I apologize that these pictures aren't the best. I will tell you that the rocks that seem to be having the regrowth are togan slab or togan beach. Very dense rock. Some of the algae may appear to be hair algae. The bryo comes up slowly out of the slab rock which is hard to see from my pics. I've noticed the hair algae seems to have an affinity to the mucous portion at the base of the euphyllia coral. This aquarium is in a doctors office. The stack is primarily togan slab and branch with coral colonies growing on everything. Hence the challenge of trying to pull rock out to rasp. You mentioned using flux to help catch floaters if rasping were to be done underwater. What is that? Thanks again Nitrates on this tank are .25 and phosphates .02 Alk 9.8 Ca 425 76degrees and 1.025
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the multiple pictures of the same picture. I'm new to using this site.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had meant to reference the fluconazole dosed again as possible cleanup for castings that might move around the tank. Ill tell you another strong brainstorm, and that's old school UV sterilization. Not a gimmick, we relied on these in our bac labs across the nation for beef processing microbiology and to control delivery and circulation of water around the labs. not to mention their place in reef and fw tank history...we're talking $400-$1000 for the right ones to work your setup but its the tradeoff for no physical access to rocks and for large tanking in general.

In your case, UV correctly sized and w correct flow in your tank will zap any broken bits of algae that are sent into suspension. Its expensive, fluco might be cheaper (another round tried after a rasping run)

theres also really neat brainstorms for rasping, consider a siphon hose with a steak knife electrical taped to the end. Id be stabbing that rock, scoring, debriding like madman, and the siphon is pulling out the stuff Im scraping. all those are possibilities. its best to focus on a test rock though before whole tank work, in case our actions don't work you wont have rasped your whole tank in a waste of time run

amazon allows returns of items that are not just shockingly awesome, check w sellers. I would never run a large tank without the cheat that is oversized UV filtration wherever you can fit it...but if that's not an option, it certainly is costly, then Id have to recommend at a minimum pulling out a top test rock from the top and working externally as one comparison model, any easy rock with growth you can find, and then contrasting that regrowth behavior 2 weeks after rasping externally with some test rock area you did underwater with the steak knife trick.

We like to apply peroxide, and preferably 35% externally as the real kicker on these rasp runs. Rasping wo the cheat burn at the end isn't likely to do much other than cast around growths to anchor elsewhere.

But if you had UV for example, or a good fluconazole re burn after a strong cleanup, at least you'd be adding a new dimension to your attempts to win this war.

that low level algae growth Ive already seen cured a hundred times in threads solely by installing UV. it wont rip the algae off the rocks, we do, but it controls regrowth in an amazing way if its the right unit for the tank. just adding more brainstorms to your preps/

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rasp that one good, I haven't heard of them penetrating into the coral flesh. w be a neat test run to see how well they anchor on skeletons...if that's a no flesh area some good knife rasping would be a neat little test. Midtownmike just posted an update to his challenge
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-outbreak.249581/page-5

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rasp that one good, I haven't heard of them penetrating into the coral flesh. w be a neat test run to see how well they anchor on skeletons...if that's a no flesh area some good knife rasping would be a neat little test. Midtownmike just posted an update to his challenge
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-outbreak.249581/page-5
I had a rock with bry and gha. Just took it out and scraped as much as i could off with a scalpel. Then poured hydrogen peroxide on the entire rock... let it sit for 3 minutes. Did it a couple times, then freshwater rinsed it... did it again then I out it back in the tank. Will see if it works

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's seen Chasing Corals on Netflix

I like the part about parrotfish and sand they make for sure. I know its a sad flick but im not on that bandwagon, im extracting usable info from their works

Also what struck me bigtime was how the algae grew on the dead corals simply because they were allowed to, by lack of excluding coral flesh. How many times in that doc did they mention nutrients as the cause of the algae covering the corals?

Algae has potentiation even in oligotrophic (low nutrient) waters, all it takes is free real estate for them to grab on and do what they do. Use tufts to catch and hold detritus, for on-site nutrient liberation, in those oligotrophic waters. But if coralline, coral flesh, or a biting fish is nearby then algae stays in check while always remaining potentiated.

Of course there are some reefs where runoff is a direct issue, but not in these, and algae played a critical role in the bioindications of things in this show I loved it.

There should be a massive public education uprise in nano reefing techniques so that everyday people can contribute. There could be quick studies for affordable nano reefing in some locations so that masses of at-risk stony corals could be at least held alive for quite some time, to me thats a fast option.

Any tank on this forum could grow out a plug of the endangered staghorn brown staghorn. I bet we could grow it in mason jars.

Reefs are dying fast: changing course for global warming is slow, wont happen in time they said. They left out the option of clipping dying reefs right now, moving the clippings into trained communities of nano reefers using 25$ lights off amazon to do whats been needed for 30 yrs or more apparently.

Last edited:

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I rasped the rock and so far no algae had been seen on the rock. That is huge progress. Btyopsis has not shown any new signs as well as hair algae. Tomorrow I will be doing the 2 or 3 other rocks that have btyopsis and gha on them and see what happens! So far this looks promising.
At the same time I rasped the frag plug the Duncan's were on and some of the skeleton for bry and so far nothing has shown it's ugly face. I hope I don't jinx myself for that....lol

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the Chasing Corals documentary. Devastating to see how quickly the reefs are diminishing. I too thought of the many ways those of us in the hobby could contribute to regrowth of the reefs. A replanting if you will. What if reefers were to grow corals that could survive and thrive within warmer water? I know the bottom line is we all must do are part in protecting Mother Earth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back