(5) Radion XR30 G5 Pros to (3-4) ATI Stratons on S1000 (82.7"x26.75")

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of selling my (5) Radion XR30 G5 Pros and purchasing (3-4) ATI Stratons for my Red Sea REEFER-S 1000 (82.7"x26.75"). The tank will be a predominately SPS mixed reef.

Should I just keep the Radions?

Performance differences?

Do I need 3 or 4 ATI Stratons?

Is the AIT Straton mounting rail available in the US yet?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i switch back to led all be going stratons i just love the look of them and i think spread would be really good . i would run 3 and 2 kessil in the middles for shimmer

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you're not happy with the Radions? Performance, aesthetics?
Even with (5) Radions on a 79” I’m still seeing some shadowing. However, I’m mostly concerned about the aesthetics.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm thinking of selling my (5) Radion XR30 G5 Pros and purchasing (3-4) ATI Stratons for my Red Sea REEFER-S 1000 (82.7"x26.75"). The tank will be a predominately SPS mixed reef.

Should I just keep the Radions?

Performance differences?

Do I need 3 or 4 ATI Stratons?

Is the AIT Straton mounting rail available in the US yet?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
just add some Quanta pro LED strips... I was going to replace my g5 radions with the stratons, but I found that the Quanta pros are the answer for shadowing.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. So you go the itch to change. Been there done that. Let us know what you get and post pictures. i dont think you can go wrong whatever you decide to do.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ati because of aesthetics and zero noise (living room tank)

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I briefly switched from the Radion to the Straton and was disappointed. Visually, the Straton is top, but what only arrived in my tank with 2 of them at full power was disappointing! I don't know how the Straton Pro performs, but just the lack of mounting options and this thick, ugly power cable which protrudes from the lamp and makes it so inflexible...this lamp remains a no-go for me.

I'm still satisfied with my 4x G5 Pro lamps and will wait and see how the G6 does.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I briefly switched from the Radion to the Straton and was disappointed. Visually, the Straton is top, but what only arrived in my tank with 2 of them at full power was disappointing! I don't know how the Straton Pro performs, but just the lack of mounting options and this thick, ugly power cable which protrudes from the lamp and makes it so inflexible...this lamp remains a no-go for me.

I'm still satisfied with my 4x G5 Pro lamps and will wait and see how the G6 does.

When you say "Visually, the Straton is top" are you referring to the aesthetics of the fixture or the light it produces?

What size tank (dimensions) did you have two of them at full power and were disappointed? Did you check par?

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I meant that the Straton looks good. I bought two Stratons and put them over my (130x65x55cm) pool. The PAR was very low at 100% power. It was about 260 PAR at 15-20 cm below the water surface. I measured the PAR with my MQ-510. As I said, optically it is very good.. except for this bulky power cable that protrudes from the lamp and makes the lamp appear stiff. However, as I have noticed, ATI has learned from their mistakes and put the new Straton Pro more on the display of the corals. As they say here.. on US style

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Mounting options can be mitigated by a simple 3d printed part. I have made many mounts for different brand LED fixtures for different rail systems. If anyone is looking for a custom design, please ask me.... this is what makes reefing fun for.....

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with Radions? If so, how does the spectrum compare?
Hi mstgkillr - I run the XR15s in my office room tank (2 pros and 1 blue).

Honestly, the ATI straton and the Radion pros seem to have the very same observable spectrum. They both grow corals, and I run them blue towards the last couple of hours of the night, and honestly I am not very forensically looking for more or less pop. I love that the ATI stratons can edge towards the more euro style day light.

The other big thing is shadowing, the ATI is like having three big flat lights (similar to T5s with power and spectrum mixing capabillity), whereas I notice more shadowing and the wave flickering some people like with the radions (not quite a spot light, but it's not a panel.

I run my stratons at max 85% of intensity now, I went to 95% but I noticed some corals didn't like it.

from a build quality point of view, I can see people having issues 'out of the box' becausee it is a complicated device, however once set up you get a sense that the ATI stratons will last a long time (think apple quality in terms of build and componentry). They also run the leds at 15% or something of the max temp rated to give longer life.

You can see they've prioritised quality over mass production. The Radion's are fine, but it's not as finesse built (and I hate the fans, which are loud and get dusty). In Australia the prices are very close to each other so it's not much of a big decision...

We don't have many in Australia, but anyone who has seen the ATIs has been very impressed.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also surprised... because I've only read good things about the Straton. I think that the two Stratons were defective but ATI didn't want to admit that. But I was able to return it without any trouble and got my money back.

here the PAR with the Straton and once with the Radion G5 at the same height

tempImage5lcECQ.png tempImageT5BW1x.png

Last edited:

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also surprised... because I've only read good things about the Straton. I think that the two Stratons were defective but ATI didn't want to admit that. But I was able to return it without any trouble and got my money back.

here the PAR with the Straton and once with the Radion G5 at the same height

tempImage5lcECQ.png tempImageT5BW1x.png
that’s awfully blue what setting was it on? i found when on blues only the par readings were very low.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had "SPS Plakativ" and it only looks so blue because the iphone can't take proper pictures

Back