newreefnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51197255331__901834EC-0C0C-4934-9A37-FC81A32A8F17.JPG

Good Morning all,
This is my first saltwater tank. I've had freshwater cichlids years ago and always wanted a salt tank but never tried. I started the tank last night. Any tips would be great, but my question is how soon should I test the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia? Also how often from that point on? Any suggestions on a led light for this tank, its rimless and topless. I have a t8 now but I know that's antiquated and would like to upgrade. I'm hoping to get something that's not too expensive as I'm on a bit of a budget.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't hurt to start testing now. then after the cycle less testing is needed.

FYI I would add macro algae especially in some kind of refugium even just a partition to separate the live stock from the macros.

my .02

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51197255331__901834EC-0C0C-4934-9A37-FC81A32A8F17.JPG

Good Morning all,
This is my first saltwater tank. I've had freshwater cichlids years ago and always wanted a salt tank but never tried. I started the tank last night. Any tips would be great, but my question is how soon should I test the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia? Also how often from that point on? Any suggestions on a led light for this tank, its rimless and topless. I have a t8 now but I know that's antiquated and would like to upgrade. I'm hoping to get something that's not too expensive as I'm on a bit of a budget.

Hello Newreefnick,

Congratulations with your first salt water tank!
Looking great:)
What fish do you want to get to the tank?

Zhenya

OP
OP
newreefnick

newreefnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Newreefnick,

Congratulations with your first salt water tank!
Looking great:)
What fish do you want to get to the tank?

Zhenya

Not 100% sure yet. I'm going for some lps or soft corals so something that's reef compatible. Probably a clown as I have some young girls who are a little interested in daddy's new hobby.

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't really need to start test until about a week before you start adding livestock, as far as lights it really depends on what kind of coral you plan on keeping. A good started led is the orbit marine pro. The 4-6ft model runs about $199 but the have smaller sizes if you don't need one that big.

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light I suggest will be fine for most all soft coral. With lps it can be a bit tricky but most will do well under that type of light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back