50 gallon Low Boy Lagoon tank build

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm adding to my already crammed fish tank/ gaming room. (really not sure how my wife hasn't left me yet, we just had our second baby last week ;))

I want to do a lagoon style shallow reef build, would like to have it centered around anemones with the possibility of some random corals here and there. Some acans and maybe shrooms or leathers but nothing crazy.

Here is a list of equipment that I already have, followed by what I plan to get in the near future.

The Gear I already Have (majority gathered from @Bulk Reef Supply )

Tank - 50 gallon Low Boy Frag Tank

Return pump -
Seltz D 1000 DC Controllable Aquarium Pump (1000 GPH) - Hydor USA

Overflow Box - Eclipse M Overflow Box (800 GPH) - Eshopps

return - 3/4” Bulkhead ABS Thread x Thread , NPT Connector for 3/4” Modular Hose - Loc-Line

New RODI unit to replace my old 4 stage - 6 Stage Deluxe Plus 75 GPD RO/DI System - Bulk Reef Supply

Sump- Crystal Sump 30 (30" x 12") - Trigger Systems (from @SaltwaterAq )

Stand - Custom built and painted steel stand which I plan to skirt with cabinet grade wood and magnets!

Things I Don't Have yet, But are on the list.

Plumbing- (I have never drilled or plumbed a tank or sump. So my plan is to get the tank on the stand and do some measuring and a drawing to make sure I get all the right pieces, any advice on plumbing and things to go ahead and prepare for in the future with my plumbing would be great! )

Lighting- I really want to go with t5s on this build unless someone can talk me out of it. This tank is 4ft long and 2 feet front to back. Therefore i see this being the best way to cover that space efficiently with lighting without spending $1,000 which I don't see being necessary for a 9" deep tank. I also plan to run some LED strips for extra actinics and shimmer. I would run those in the am and PM and the t5s for about 6 hours in the daytime.

Controller
- Hydros Control 4 Starter Pack - Aquarium Controller System - Coralvue

Skimmer- Curve 5 Protein Skimmer - Bubble Magus

ATO - Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off - Tunze

Mesh Top

300 watt heater on an inkbird

Flow- 2K Gyre Flow Pump with Dual Pump WiFi Controller (2000 GPH) - IceCap

Substrate -
CaribSea FLORIDA CRUSHED CORAL DRY SAND - CARIBSEA, and CaribSea ORIGINAL GRADE OCEAN DIRECT LIVE REEF SAND Mixture with the Crushed coral on top to help it not be blow around the tank.

Rock- I would really really love to go with some live rock on this build unless someone can talk me out of it. I just think it matures a tank so much faster and more efficiently.

I know there will be a few things here and there that I'm not thinking about, but i have 2 reef tanks up and running currently so I do have a lot of stuff laying around.

Could yall please let me know what you think about this build so far and any changes you might think I should make?

I will get some pictures of everything somewhat set up this weekend hopefully. I have to relocate a tv and my 16 gallon biocube to fit this beauty in my gaming/fish room.

Im in no rush for the lights, skimmer, or ato and will probably get those last. I would like to get this tank up and running so it can start to cycle sometime in the next month or so.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build, and we need pictures!

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail (1).jpg

This weekend I got my TV hung, stand moved in the room, tank on stand, sump under stand, along with the rest of the equipment.

Next step is drilling the tank so I can plan out plumbing.

I also need to get some wood for the top of the stand, and a leveling mat for on top of the wood.

Is anyone running a sump sitting directly on carpet? The thought I have is it will act like a leveling mat.

The stand does have leveling feet on it and it is leveled.

thumbnail2.jpg

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had a very disappointing discovery on Sunday.

I went to Lowe’s and got everything I needed to drill my tank and start working on my plumbing! I had wood cut and got it on the stand. I was ready to work towards getting this bad boy wet!! Then I opened the box and found a chip in the glass. Unfortunately it’s right in the corner and the seal is compromised. To me the tank is totaled. I have reached out to @zoomed. Hopefully they will replace it since it appears to have been missed at the factory.
09CC763C-813E-435F-BAB2-1CF297A56954.jpeg

0A5A130C-DE78-420A-A33F-C142BCCA69D7.jpeg

FE6F30F6-404C-4797-961F-B2FB740AB357.jpeg
49152D5C-61BA-4CFE-9272-1CFDC17F7866.jpeg

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the build..... I finally got the store manager to take my call after attempting all week. The tank is being exchanged for a new one. Its my closest LFS (not sure if an hour is considered local lol). So hopefully next weekend I can go pick up the new tank and get it home so i can drill it and start my plumbing!

Seems like there always some kind of hang up with a new tank build. Especially when you do a custom set up.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was the stand to build? Asking because DNA here in Dallas sells the tanks and a stand. It is nice because you can buy the tank as is are already drilled. Unfortunately the stand is $500, double the cost of the tank!

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was the stand to build? Asking because DNA here in Dallas sells the tanks and a stand. It is nice because you can buy the tank as is are already drilled. Unfortunately the stand is $500, double the cost of the tank!
So far I have about $250 in the stand, I do still need to close it in after plumbing though! As far as stands go, $500 really isn't that bad. I wish I knew about that place or I would have went that route and saved myself some work! I'm not far from Dallas, bout three hours.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have about $250 in the stand, I do still need to close it in after plumbing though! As far as stands go, $500 really isn't that bad. I wish I knew about that place or I would have went that route and saved myself some work! I'm not far from Dallas, bout three hours.
Their stand looks exactly like yours. I can't remember if it has a wood bottom like yours. They said a local company builds them.. I wish I could build a stand but by the time I bought the tools and all the mistakes I would make it would end up being a very expensive project. I'm also debating if I would want it drilled or not. My current display is not drilled and I've had it for 20 years. It would be nice though because it would make it a lot easier to have a cover on it. My current setup is impossible to cover because of the hob items on it.

Are you planning on coming up for Aquashella?

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their stand looks exactly like yours. I can't remember if it has a wood bottom like yours. They said a local company builds them.. I wish I could build a stand but by the time I bought the tools and all the mistakes I would make it would end up being a very expensive project. I'm also debating if I would want it drilled or not. My current display is not drilled and I've had it for 20 years. It would be nice though because it would make it a lot easier to have a cover on it. My current setup is impossible to cover because of the hob items on it.

Are you planning on coming up for Aquashella?
I feel you on the HOB, my office tank has no more room on the back or sides for anything to hang on lol. Definitely no way for a top.

I've just never run a sump, little nervous about it, but excited at the same time because its something new and so much easier when it comes to equipment.

I'm dying to come to aquashella, we have a 1 month old baby so I'm trying to plan out how i can make it work lol

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you on the HOB, my office tank has no more room on the back or sides for anything to hang on lol. Definitely no way for a top.

I've just never run a sump, little nervous about it, but excited at the same time because its something new and so much easier when it comes to equipment.

I'm dying to come to aquashella, we have a 1 month old baby so I'm trying to plan out how i can make it work lol
How do you plan on mounting the lights? That is my biggest issue with getting the tank. I can't hang my lights and it seems most on tank mounts assume you won't have a plastic rim around the tank. I've still my 48 t5 fixture that I used on my 75gal tank until I switched over to leds a few years ago. There is no way to use it unless I hang it.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a pic of what they were selling at DNA this weekend. Tank was $280 drilled. I think they are $140ish not drilled. Stand was $400. I thought my picture had more of the bottom of the stand.

lowboy.jpg

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a pic of what they were selling at DNA this weekend. Tank was $280 drilled. I think they are $140ish not drilled. Stand was $400. I thought my picture had more of the bottom of the stand.

lowboy.jpg
That's a nice set up for the price honestly! Had I know I probably would have just gotten it all from them and I would already have her wet! lol
How do you plan on mounting the lights? That is my biggest issue with getting the tank. I can't hang my lights and it seems most on tank mounts assume you won't have a plastic rim around the tank. I've still my 48 t5 fixture that I used on my 75gal tank until I switched over to leds a few years ago. There is no way to use it unless I hang it.

So for lights I ended up picking up 2 ai hydra 26s on ebay for $350 bucks (just couldnt pass that up). Im going to buy either some L shaped shelf brackets or some curtain rods at lowes, im going to make a hanging bracket for the hydras and a few t5s (maybe just 2 to start) and hang them from those brackets. Its going to take some rigging but i think i can make it work fairly easily. My other option is to build a hanging bracket that mounts to the stand similar to this
1631728757060.png

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok big update! After waiting several weeks I finally just drove up to DAllas North Aquarium and bought another low boy. Hopefully when the store in Tyler gets my replacement they will agree to give me Store credit, because I just couldn’t wait anymore.

I finally got the tank drilled, painted, and the overflow/ return installed. This evening I plan to start fitting the plumbing! I have never plumbed a sump, so I doubt I have all of the pieces I need.

everything else is in or will be here this week, so she should be wet by the weekend! I’m super pumped!
00A13C1D-3966-4776-9C2F-9E3365C745A9.jpeg

Attachments

• DE518DCA-0C8F-41E6-B877-97B084C1B422.jpeg
    DE518DCA-0C8F-41E6-B877-97B084C1B422.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 041A76A3-4E28-419D-A053-18CC3DD9777F.jpeg
    041A76A3-4E28-419D-A053-18CC3DD9777F.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6612.MOV
    31.9 MB
OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would like to add that while opening and making a list of the supplies I have been ordering since May I ran into some issues. The pump I ordered was supposed to be a seltz D 1000. What I was sent was a seltz D 500.

Being in retail sales I understand that mistakes happen and what matters is how they are handled.
Let me just say @Bulk Reef Supply went above and beyond, the gave me a full refund, explained that pump was discontinued, and recommended another. They then gave me another extra $30 so I could expedite the pump and have it by the weekend so I could get running.

now that is 5 star service, and why I continue to keep using them!

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50 gallon Low Boy Frag tank is finally up and running. I added some turbo start 900 and some liquid ammonia to get the cycle kicked off. Next week I’m hoping to be able to do a water change and add my first fish, a pair of tomato clowns. This tank won’t have any lights running on it for a few weeks, but I love the all black sand, rocks, and background. Let me know your thoughts!

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my two clowns added and a little shark nose goby (i think is what hes called). Haven't seen the goby since he hit the water, but everything else is going swimmingly. I did cave on the lights, but they are only running on 20% blues and 5% whites. So hopefully it wont create too bad of a bloom. I expect algae regardless of what I do lol.

Next on the to do list is finish out the stand and add the ATO.

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since i have updated, so this may be lengthy!

I ended up getting a flame angel from and aquarium store in Dallas (i will not name it even though the manage refused to make my situation right and assured me they were not at fault, when i know they were) and that angel had velvet. This in turn infected the whole system. I lost all fish. I was sick about it because i had worked for so long to get this thing up and running. I had some personal issues come about during the same time. So i decided to go fishless and turn the temp up. I did this for 70 days and the tank was at 82 degrees for the duration.

I have since added two clarki clowns and a foxface! All three are doing well and are healthy! The foxface is super skiddish but hes getting better slowly.

I have one blue legged hermit, 2 mexican turbo snails, 2 asterina snails, and an urchin!

I got my first CSB anemone in finally, and one of the clowns is already hosting it. My long term plan is to have mostly CSB anemones and a few random corals that i decide i cant live without in this tank. I want to keep is mostly csb anemones though. For one i tend to strangely find them pretty easy to keep, and for two filling the tank with other corals means more dosing and what not that id rather just not deal with. Plus who wouldn't want a tank crammed full of CSB anemones lol?

I got around to checking my par finally this weekend and made some adjustments, because evidently my lights were so high that i was only getting about 60 par on the sand even with only 9 inches of water. I adjusted it and im not getting about 110 par throughout the tank on the sand, and roughly 140 par on the rocks! (a tad higher here and there on the rocks, but im not in the 200's anywhere in the tank yet). Ill stay at these settings for quite some time. Once everything is nice and settled i will bump it up a bit.

anyway, enough rambling. Here is a short video of the tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back