50 Gallon Reef Tank on Carpet - Waterbox AIO 50.3

mcqueenokc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking into setting up a Waterbox AIO 50.3. The only spot it works in my house is in my home office which has a brand new low pile carpet. Of course I want to make sure this tank is stable. Any recommendations? I was thinking putting some plywood or foam between the stand and the carpet? Will this help?

Any advise will help!

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180g on carpet for years with no issues. Need lots of towels. I think after several months I bought a 4'x6' roll of linoleum instead of so much towels when I was doing maintenance. worked great

OP
OP
M

mcqueenokc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know. Was finding mix reports online so I am very glad that this has been successful in the past.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know. Was finding mix reports online so I am very glad that this has been successful in the past.
It’s cheap and easy enough to put in some flooring where the tank will be that I would suggest doing it. I too ran several tanks on carpet... and I’m glad every day that I didn’t with my most recent.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 55 Gallon on carpet for 25 years before I moved to my new home. Towels help a lot Another suggestion is a large fan (I had a 24" shop fan) to help with drying the carpet after spills.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 55 Gallon on carpet for 25 years before I moved to my new home. Towels help a lot Another suggestion is a large fan (I had a 24" shop fan) to help with drying the carpet after spills.
I don’t think major spills is the problem, but I have a lot of tiny little drips and such that seem easier to clean when not on carpet. Also I hate laundry, lol, so the less towels the better.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think major spills is the problem, but I have a lot of tiny little drips and such that seem easier to clean when not on carpet. Also I hate laundry, lol, so the less towels the better.

I never worried about a few small drips, a paper towel handles that. For spills of a cup or so (or more, I once tripped and dumped an entire 5 gallon bucket on the carpet) a towel gets the majority and the fan dries the rest in no time.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste any effort overthinking this. You get your carpet more wet with a steam clean than you will with a routine water change.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never worried about a few small drips, a paper towel handles that. For spills of a cup or so (or more, I once tripped and dumped an entire 5 gallon bucket on the carpet) a towel gets the majority and the fan dries the rest in no time.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste any effort overthinking this. You get your carpet more wet with a steam clean than you will with a routine water change.
You’re not wrong, it’s not the water that worries me, it’s the salt after the water evaporates

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not wrong, it’s not the water that worries me, it’s the salt after the water evaporates
For a major spill like the aforementioned 5 gallon bucket (which was freshwater) a steam cleaning should pull out any salt residue that remains. Look at it this way, you get the added benefit of steam cleaning your whole carpet while you are at it. :)

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a past home I had fairly heavy carpet under my 210 and I found that a bissel carpet shampooer found used on craigslist for $50 was the ideal tool. its strong enough to pick up any spills and a fan on low was the other thing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back