50 gallon tank build start up

Arabianmagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the hobby, and am starting my first tank.

I'm starting up my 50 gallon aquarium, which has a built in overflow. The sump has three compartments (I want first to have Skimmer, second as a refugium with chaeto, third compartment is return pump).

Equipment:

Lighting:
Dsuny programmable wifi lights:

Skimmer:
Aquamaxx Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer
(no link)

Wavemaker:
Ice Cap 1K Gyre Flow Sump

In sump pump:
Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump

Water filtration:
Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System with Color Changing Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge

Rock:
Nature's Ocean 12-Inch Coral Base Rocks for Aquarium, 40-Pound

Sand: 80 lbs of Carib sea pink Fiji live sand, which will be arriving in several days.

So the rock, I'm going to use an air compressor on to get out some of the loose sand, and then use a power washer (as recommended per the reviews).

Now, plumbing. Plumbing has been my biggest headache, and my ex boyfriend tried to help out last year and kinda did some incorrect things, so I'm starting over from scratch.

So it appears that the bulkheads are both female threaded bulkheads, and that I will need male adapters for them. But, the bulkhead that drains down into the sump is 1.5 inches, and the bulkhead for the return is 3/4 inch. How do I reduce the draining side to 3/4?

I'm attaching a screenshot if my brs cart before I check out (.. I decided that I wanted pretty piping). Am I missing anything? I have real tuff to put on the threaded bulkhead fitting and adapter.

Also, in one of the pics, what is the piece called that screwed onto my pump? I'm guessing it came with my pump, but I can't reuse it because it's cemented to the piping I'm throwing away. How to I hook my return pump up to the pvc?

Do I need a ball valve for the pipe to go into the pump?

Screenshot_20200119-160153_Amazon Shopping.jpg 20200119_150509.jpg 20200119_155456.jpg 20200119_155350.jpg 20200119_155056.jpg sump.jpg 20200119_155130.jpg 20200119_155328.jpg Screenshot_20200119-160858_Chrome.jpg 20200119_150446.jpg Screenshot_20200119-160907_Chrome.jpg 20200119_150541.jpg

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

welcome to R2R! I am no plumber but just completed a build with a basement sump hard-plumbed through the floor. I did it by bringing my primary connections to my local plumbing supply place and they happily set me up with exactly what I needed. Saved me a lot of headaches I think.

you can probably get most of what you need online or at a local home store. They will have couplings that will reduce or expand as needed. Because of vibration, most folks use a hose barb fitting with the right size hose for the connection to their return pump. Also makes it easy to change out the pump if needed

Best of luck! Take your time and have fun. Cheers!

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

welcome to R2R! I am no plumber but just completed a build with a basement sump hard-plumbed through the floor. I did it by bringing my primary connections to my local plumbing supply place and they happily set me up with exactly what I needed. Saved me a lot of headaches I think.

you can probably get most of what you need online or at a local home store. They will have couplings that will reduce or expand as needed. Because of vibration, most dole use a hose barb fitting with the right size hose for the connection to their return pump. Also makes it easy to change out the pump if needed

Best of luck! Take your time and have fun. Cheers!
Welcome to R2R.

I agree with this one. Going to your local plumbing supply store was a big help for me too. They are used to people showing up with bags of aquarium gear :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back