50% Water Change for High Nutrients?

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, never had this issue before. Took my measurements today and well...

Salinity - 33.2
pH - 7.91
dKH - 9.2
Ca - 420
Mg - 1320
NO3 - 36
PO4 - 0.24

I haven't been having any algae issues so I was worried about numbers, and not monitoring it is why my PO4 got so out of hand. Not chasing numbers here, but my Duncan hasn't opened up fully in over a week, so I know I need to bring that phosphate down.

Suggestion was to do basically a 50% WC. First time in this situation so I figured I'd see what others think.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I’m not sure if any of your nutrients could cause a Duncan to retract - your numbers look OK.

Perhaps a water change could perk things up/replenish some elements? I think I’d try a 25% initially to observe the effects. I doubt nutrients are the issue.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 is very high. I would reduce feeding and possibly implement a phosphate reduction protocol.
The crazy part is I only feed once a day, a chunk of frozen mysis about the size of a dime. Stock is a yellow watchman goby, yellow coris wrasse, ruby longfin fairy wrasse, melanurus wrasse, and a green mandarin. I'm extremely hesitant to run GFO because in my last system I accidentally bottomed out my nutrients running it, and triggered a dino outbreak.
Hmm. I’m not sure if any of your nutrients could cause a Duncan to retract - your numbers look OK.

Perhaps a water change could perk things up/replenish some elements? I think I’d try a 25% initially to observe the effects. I doubt nutrients are the issue.
I suppose it could have been being picked at by a ruby mithrax I had in the tank (he's been sumped). I didn't think it was the crab though because my kenya tree is doing perfectly fine; and it's easier to get to than the duncan. So I thought if the crab was going after softies, it would target the kenya first.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What path would you take? What % of water and how frequently?
Honestly I’m not sure how slowly nutrients should come down, I just know that a quick large swing even for the “better” isn't good.
Maybe someone smarter than me in this area can help but decide where you want to be in terms of nutrients and work toward that over the next few weeks (?)
Might want to consider carbon dosing with Tropic Marin Elimi NP to get nutrients down, and then maintain the proper ratio with Bacto Balance. That’s my plan for my newly cycled tank that I need to get nutrients down in

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any emergency reason to do a large water change.

Do you have any other nutrient export methods in place?
Mechanical filtration I have is a Reef Mat, and skimmer. I had been holding out on introducing macro algae, but I think it’s about time to go ahead and get some in my fuge.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any emergency reason to do a large water change.

Do you have any other nutrient export methods in place?
Agreed here. None of those numbers are outrageous, evening PO4 isn't that high. Take it back down slowly using regular size WCs . If it keeps creeping up address the source and possibly bring GFO or other export like a scrubber online.

FWIW I run my phosphates around that and my nitrates are 5x what yours are. I actually think your numbers are pretty golden

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed here. None of those numbers are outrageous, evening PO4 isn't that high. Take it back down slowly using regular size WCs . If it keeps creeping up address the source and possibly bring GFO or other export like a scrubber online.

FWIW I run my phosphates around that and my nitrates are 5x what yours are. I actually think your numbers are pretty golden
Not to number chase but I thought ideal PO4 was between 0.03 and 0.07, and that anything over 0.10 was too high.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to number chase but I thought ideal PO4 was between 0.03 and 0.07, and that anything over 0.10 was too high.
That depends who you ask and is probably affected by a lot of things. I'm of the opinion that high flow and high lights allow for higher nutrients. Im probably an outlier for nitrates but mine have been in the 2-300 range for months and all my coral look happy. I know plenty of amazing SPS keepers here who aim in the .1-.2 range for PO4 and 20-40 range for NO3.

If you have unhappy coral at those levels then slowly bring it back down and see how they respond. I agree that it's not "emergency" levels though

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What path would you take? What % of water and how frequently?
Salinity looks low, which can negatively affect coral. Your nitrate and phosphate are nothing to worry about at the moment, but track them and if they continue to trend upward, then consider intervening.

As for the idea that "ideal PO4 was between 0.03 and 0.07, and that anything over 0.10 was too high", this may be true for some systems (especially those with picky SPS), but is definitely not true for all. Like @pandaparties , my nutritients run much higher and I have no problem.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends who you ask and is probably affected by a lot of things. I'm of the opinion that high flow and high lights allow for higher nutrients. Im probably an outlier for nitrates but mine have been in the 2-300 range for months and all my coral look happy. I know plenty of amazing SPS keepers here who aim in the .1-.2 range for PO4 and 20-40 range for NO3.

If you have unhappy coral at those levels then slowly bring it back down and see how they respond. I agree that it's not "emergency" levels though
Salinity looks low, which can negatively affect coral. Your nitrate and phosphate are nothing to worry about at the moment, but track them and if they continue to trend upward, then consider intervening.

As for the idea that "ideal PO4 was between 0.03 and 0.07, and that anything over 0.10 was too high", this may be true for some systems (especially those with picky SPS), but is definitely not true for all. Like @pandaparties , my nutritients run much higher and I have no problem.
Thanks guys. I completely forgot about the whole PO4 arguement being rooted in SPS keeping. That’s why I love this forum. People can give you a friendly reminder, instead of laughing at you or attempting to belittle your reef keeping knowledge like they do on other platforms.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I completely forgot about the whole PO4 arguement being rooted in SPS keeping. That’s why I love this forum. People can give you a friendly reminder, instead of laughing at you or attempting to belittle your reef keeping knowledge like they do on other platforms.
Since you said you haven't been testing consistently, the problem certainly *could* be a nutrient issue, but without knowing how long N and P have been where they are now, taking big steps to reduce them might cause more problems.

Water changes are good for nitrate reduction, but not always for phos. Starting your fuge is an excellent idea.

Keep us posted!

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get rude here too. Happened to me the other day. Remember, this is still THE INTERNETTTTT!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back