500 Liter / ~ 130Gallon Tank Stocking list ideas

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :)

so i have a 500liter roughly 130gallon Tank and looking for some Stocking ideas :)

current fish =

1x Copperband Butterfly
1x Melanurus Wrasse
3x Anthias

i would Love to have a Tang or 2 or even 3 ? I Heard about People saying 125gallon 3 Tangs is ok if you introduce them all at ones but i would Love to Hear more feedback :)

so what would be your ideas for the Tank or Maybe how many fish is too many ? I think with the fish i have now it is a Bit empty :)

and if possible only Reef Safe Fish please or „with caution“ when the caution is about feeding and not eating corals :)

Thank you very much :)

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the wrong person to ask - I like having a lot of fish (38 and counting in my 160-gallon). As long as you have the supporting rock work and break the fish up into different "swim lanes" you'll be fine.
Im not turned away from a lot of Fish - i just don’t Want to do it the wrong way haha

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not turned away from a lot of Fish - i just don’t Want to do it the wrong way haha
I've got something of everything in mine.

Attachments

• E8A2ED1F-D9F4-4487-BCE2-11D5704CE8C4.jpeg
    E8A2ED1F-D9F4-4487-BCE2-11D5704CE8C4.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 87

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3 tangs would be completely fine, as long as you pick smaller varieties. Maybe one of the Ctenochaetus genus (any species will work), one of the Zebrasoma genus (any except the sailfin would probably work, but yellow stays the smallest), and one of the smaller Acanthurus genus, such as a mimic lemon peel or a convict tang.

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3 tangs would be completely fine, as long as you pick smaller varieties. Maybe one of the Ctenochaetus genus (any species will work), one of the Zebrasoma genus (any except the sailfin would probably work, but yellow stays the smallest), and one of the smaller Acanthurus genus, such as a mimic lemon peel or a convict tang.
Ok Great Thank you very much for your answer ! Would it also work with Yellow and purple ? Or is it better to get a Ctenochaetus so that there are 3 ? Or is this too much risk with Yellow and purple even when i add all together?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Great Thank you very much for your answer ! Would it also work with Yellow and purple ? Or is it better to get a Ctenochaetus so that there are 3 ? Or is this too much risk with Yellow and purple even when i add all together?
I think it depends on the individual, but you are decreasing the risk of fighting if you choose fish from different genera.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a GREAT article here by @4FordFamily about tang aggression, with a ranking of the most aggressive to least aggressive species. Choosing species closer to the bottom of the list will help as well.

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a GREAT article here by @4FordFamily about tang aggression, with a ranking of the most aggressive to least aggressive species. Choosing species closer to the bottom of the list will help as well.

Great i Thank you very much for your help :)

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more ideas other than tangs:
tail-spot blenny (fun personality...like to back into caves and perch on rocks to survey their kingdom)
a pair of clownfish (ubiquitous and maybe not your thing, but there aren't many fish with as cute a swimming style)
a few fairy or flasher wrasses (super active and super colorful)

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more ideas other than tangs:
tail-spot blenny (fun personality...like to back into caves and perch on rocks to survey their kingdom)
a pair of clownfish (ubiquitous and maybe not your thing, but there aren't many fish with as cute a swimming style)
a few fairy or flasher wrasses (super active and super colorful)
Thanks Great ideas! But i have a Melanurus wrasse is it ok to add more wrasses?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Great ideas! But i have a Melanurus wrasse is it ok to add more wrasses?
Definitely. Just use an acclimation box to help ease aggression. My first wrasse was a melanurus, and I've since added 2 fairy wrasses and a flasher wrasse, and they all get along great now. Take a look at my build thread for some videos and pictures of them all on the last page. There's also a chart floating around that shows the different fairy wrasses species and you just want to avoid the ones that are super aggressive or in the same group as each other...I'll find it and add it to this post in a minute (don't mind the arrow, that was my first fairy wrasse :) ).

AEA99830-8C1A-4385-B688-643905FF9D2B.jpeg

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. Just use an acclimation box to help ease aggression. My first wrasse was a melanurus, and I've since added 2 fairy wrasses and a flasher wrasse, and they all get along great now. Take a look at my build thread for some videos and pictures of them all on the last page. There's also a chart floating around that shows the different fairy wrasses species and you just want to avoid the ones that are super aggressive or in the same group as each other...I'll find it and add it to this post in a minute (don't mind the arrow, that was my first fairy wrasse :) ).

Wow Great Information Thank you so much i will have a Look !

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my "definitely" comment was regarding flasher or fairy wrasses. If you tried to add another from the genus Halichoeres, all bets are off.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just going to say, this is a guideline for those who don’t want to push it. I pushed my limits MUCH more than is recommended however it’s working out for me currently. My wrasse gang is a bunch of peaceful and aggressive cohabitating together, I don’t recommend going the path I did however if you want then you can bend the rules somewhat.
My wrasse gang consists of:
Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus (Complex: Scottorum - Usually avoided as they’re the most aggressive complex)
545D4C9D-B0C1-4D84-990E-1C7BE9FD8561.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Indonesian” (Complex: Lubbocki - Often looked at as they’re commonly seen, beautiful but also a peaceful complex)
531F5803-1CD9-4EB3-8EAF-2F749BE097B4.jpeg

Halichoeres chloropterus (Aggressive but often looked at due to the green juvenile state, later to grow Pale as a mature male)
20A2EC36-7196-4D14-BD31-4AE31665256A.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Cebu” (Complex: Lubbocki - Often looked at for the unusual patterning, not often seen compared to C. lubbocki “Indo” Not recommended to put two of the same complex in the same tank in case of )
F67C156F-8EC3-4E6F-8021-4E1F625E5CD8.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus naokoae (Complex: Rubriventralis - Often looked at for the “Recently discovered” species, a rather more uncommon wrasse to come across but a beauty when you see one)
7E58151B-4A16-4762-8058-C3EE20EEE401.jpeg

Macropharyngodon bipartitus (Peaceful and often looked at for a beginner Leopard Wrasse, excellent for colour and personality)
1C77D1BD-F6EB-48C1-9DBB-1CD9428C931E.jpeg

Halichoeres iridis (Peaceful, often looked at for colour and personality, excellent species to mix with other species)
446DDE23-0298-4E0B-84E2-093EC36C609D.jpeg

And this guy was in my Wrasse gang up until 2 days ago but they’re great for wrasse gangs so I’ll put him in anyway :)
Pseudocheilinops ataenia (Excellent reef fish, as it matures it gains some amazing colours, often looked at for Nano tangs due to a smaller size and less active behaviour)
7F13692F-3B79-4794-A2A1-E04DA7251AE5.jpeg

My wrasses are mixed, I have the Blue Star Leopard and Naoko Fairy in my nano as a grow out before the go into my 4’ tank but also so I can keep an eye on them much more easily.

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just going to say, this is a guideline for those who don’t want to push it. I pushed my limits MUCH more than is recommended however it’s working out for me currently. My wrasse gang is a bunch of peaceful and aggressive cohabitating together, I don’t recommend going the path I did however if you want then you can bend the rules somewhat.
My wrasse gang consists of:
Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus (Complex: Scottorum - Usually avoided as they’re the most aggressive complex)
545D4C9D-B0C1-4D84-990E-1C7BE9FD8561.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Indonesian” (Complex: Lubbocki - Often looked at as they’re commonly seen, beautiful but also a peaceful complex)
531F5803-1CD9-4EB3-8EAF-2F749BE097B4.jpeg

Halichoeres chloropterus (Aggressive but often looked at due to the green juvenile state, later to grow Pale as a mature male)
20A2EC36-7196-4D14-BD31-4AE31665256A.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Cebu” (Complex: Lubbocki - Often looked at for the unusual patterning, not often seen compared to C. lubbocki “Indo” Not recommended to put two of the same complex in the same tank in case of )
F67C156F-8EC3-4E6F-8021-4E1F625E5CD8.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus naokoae (Complex: Rubriventralis - Often looked at for the “Recently discovered” species, a rather more uncommon wrasse to come across but a beauty when you see one)
7E58151B-4A16-4762-8058-C3EE20EEE401.jpeg

Macropharyngodon bipartitus (Peaceful and often looked at for a beginner Leopard Wrasse, excellent for colour and personality)
1C77D1BD-F6EB-48C1-9DBB-1CD9428C931E.jpeg

Halichoeres iridis (Peaceful, often looked at for colour and personality, excellent species to mix with other species)
446DDE23-0298-4E0B-84E2-093EC36C609D.jpeg

And this guy was in my Wrasse gang up until 2 days ago but they’re great for wrasse gangs so I’ll put him in anyway :)
Pseudocheilinops ataenia (Excellent reef fish, as it matures it gains some amazing colours, often looked at for Nano tangs due to a smaller size and less active behaviour)
7F13692F-3B79-4794-A2A1-E04DA7251AE5.jpeg

My wrasses are mixed, I have the Blue Star Leopard and Naoko Fairy in my nano as a grow out before the go into my 4’ tank but also so I can keep an eye on them much more easily.
Wow Thank you so much for that detailed answer this was very nice to read and Velos really a lot !

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Thank you so much for that detailed answer this was very nice to read and Velos really a lot !
Happy to help :)

I love my wrasses but I’m also rather prone to playing risky moves - Most cases they turn out great.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 130, I think you can fit 2 Tangs at most. A smaller Zebrasoma and a Ctenochaetus would IMO be your limit. If you want to look into the Acanthurus family, I would only consider the smallest ones (I’ll leave it to the others). At 3 larger fish, that would be about my limit in a 130. Other than that, you can get a few smaller or medium sized fish. If your tank is 4’ I wouldn’t do an Acanthurus at all, I would stick to a smaller Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus and that’s it. Halichoeres wrasses, Fairy Wrasses, Flasher Wrasses, Leopard Wrasses (more challenging) are all options for wrasses.

Some of the more peaceful damsels of the genus Chrysiptera, Biota’s Peacock Damsels, Gobies, Blennies, Clownfish pair, all options to consider. I’d also consider one, maybe even a pair of dwarf angels. If you’re looking at slightly larger angels, I think you could fit a Spotbreast, Watanabei, Bellus, Black Velvet, Blue Spotted, Singapore, or Cream Angel (too drab for my taste).

If you can find one and are willing to pay, a subgenus Roaps Butterfly with Burgess being the cheapest, and Mitratus being somewhat more expensive can also be considered. Atlantic Long Snout Butterflies (Prognathodes), maybe Pyramids are also options.

However, in a 130 I don’t think you have quite the space to focus equally on angels, tangs, and butterflies. I’d pick your favorite family and choose your favorites among them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my "definitely" comment was regarding flasher or fairy wrasses. If you tried to add another from the genus Halichoeres, all bets are off.
I’d say that the OP could add another Halichoeres, melanurus is a rather peaceful species compared to others, yes in the beginning there will be some bickering however it will eventually stop after a hierarchy is set. This stands for all wrasses, Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus, Macropharyngodon, Paracheilinus, Xenojulis, Pseudojuloides, Labroides ect… They will all bicker at first to start a hierarchy, then as they age and mature the more aggressive ones will bicker and the hierarchy may change.

Back