500g Build

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good! It was MUCH easier getting the tank in than I thought that it would be.

They are frosted. We (my boss @AmericanAquariums made the tank, I am the LFS guy), like the frosted look and he did that on purpose. Love them or hate them, either way they aren't visible with the install.

I totally vote full blown reef tank.

I was just curious, I have never seen overflow boxes that were frosted before. You're right it doesn't matter much since they are hidden. My only thought is that it would be harder to see if a fish or snail was trapped / entered the overflow box. I have had fish make it past the teeth. It is one of the places I look when a fish is missing.

Tank looks incredible! Can't wait to see this one progress. Any pictures of the were the lines in the ceiling are coming from?

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious, I have never seen overflow boxes that were frosted before. You're right it doesn't matter much since they are hidden. My only thought is that it would be harder to see if a fish or snail was trapped / entered the overflow box. I have had fish make it past the teeth. It is one of the places I look when a fish is missing.

Tank looks incredible! Can't wait to see this one progress. Any pictures of the were the lines in the ceiling are coming from?

I def see your point, we won't see them anyhow since this will be completely enclosed. Stone columns on both sides, etc.

I am away this week, but will take pics of room where those lines go. They are feeds from two 110G holding tanks (salt and RO) for water changes.

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3715.JPG
Little update, got lights hung, and some other equipment had started getting installed. You will also notice the two black vents in the ceiling above tank. Since this will be all enclosed, I had hvac guy install an DC exhaust fan with a temp and humidistat along with variable speed control so I can control how much air gets pulled out. This get blown outside.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights look good. I can't wait to see it full. Have you got your fish stocking list together yet?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_3715.JPG
Little update, got lights hung, and some other equipment had started getting installed. You will also notice the two black vents in the ceiling above tank. Since this will be all enclosed, I had hvac guy install an DC exhaust fan with a temp and humidistat along with variable speed control so I can control how much air gets pulled out. This get blown outside.

ZANG!

Kinggeorge818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice build, I'm definitely gonna be following this one!! What kind of fish or coral are you aiming to keep?

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice build, I'm definitely gonna be following this one!! What kind of fish or coral are you aiming to keep?

Not really sure yet... Of course i like alot of fish that arent reef safe, but my wife wants it to be a reef tank...

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!! Congrats on the new tank and all of the new toys lol!!! Take your time, research and research some more...sounds like you've been doing this already but Ill tell you after being in the hobby for more than 15yrs Im still learning things. This has the ability to be one heck of a reef tank, I look forward to your build!!

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I have added some more excitement to my build. As I mentioned in my initial post I was going with two Vectra pumps because I believe they provided a good high quality pump at a decent price.

But while on back order, and doing some more research I learned they are no controllable via my APEX and I will only have on off capability. In my opinion this is a big draw back.

So after much research I narrowed my search down to the Abyzz A200 and a RE 3 150w. I think they are both awesome pumps but I ended up choosing the A200, so I have two of those inbound. Excited to see them in action.

OP
OP
P

pghreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3773.JPG
IMG_3778.JPG
IMG_3774.JPG
Some updates...

Water and rock going in. Final return pluming is being done today and we should have fish in a week or so. Construction crew comes Wednesday next week to frame and stone columns.

We put apex flow meters on the emergency overflow lines, and on the return plumbing as well.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any updated pics? How much more rock did you/are you adding?

MrPorter80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm foaming out the mouth!!! Very nice and exciting. I'm wanting to go 300g from a 150 lol. You got me wanting to go bigger!!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back