500g Reef Tank Build Saga: A Guide on What Not to Do

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right so last time I posted about the lighting system I built for the the new tank which is basically the only part of this build that is still functional. So, not a total loss!! But for the actual plywood part of the build we ended with box completion and it looked something like this:

3.jpg

The next step in a plywood build is to use bondo or epoxy filler to fill all the screw heads and seam gaps. For this I used JB weld wood epoxy which is a really cool 2 part putty product. It's like play-doh. It's a lot of fun to work with. It took about an hour to fill all the screw heads and seams and the buckets say to wait 24hrs before it's fully cured (I think it says you can paint and sand within a few hours, but I wasn't in a huge rush).

IMG_20190928_161811.jpg

The next step after gap filling is the fun part: Fiberglassing. A lot of people who build plywood tanks only fiberglass the seams because those are the areas where there is the most stress. I have read a number of threads about epoxy water proofing products eventually getting microfissures and leaking within the panels. I didn't want to deal with that so I just fiberglassed the whole thing. I figured it was only an extra day of work and a couple hundred dollars more, so why not. And if it works for a canoe, it should work pretty well for a fish tank. I created a nice fiberglassing booth in my basement

IMG_20191005_210801.jpg

And started the process of fiberglassing the tank with the sheets of 4oz mat that I had precut to fit each surface of the tank. I did the horizontal and vertical seams first and then overlapped the full panel sheets with those afterward.

IMG_20191005_210815.jpg

7fiberglassing.jpg

Fiberglassing is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. A few simple rules though:

1) Before wetting out the fiberglass, spread epoxy over the wood surface. This will enhance the wetting out of the fabric. The wood will take up some amount of the epoxy so if you don't do this you can get spots in the fiberglass that don't wet out well and you have to spend a lot of time working epoxy into them. You don't want to do this when you only have 20 minutes or so of working time, especially if you're trying to lay more than one layer at a time (I was doing 2).
2) If you're doing a big section, roll the sheet up and the roll it out from left to right while covering with more epoxy. I tried to put the sheet on once just as a flat sheet and it wrinkled badly. It took a good 10 minutes to get it smoothed out, rolling it out gives you more time to work out the wrinkles before moving on to the next bit and makes the process go a whole lot more quickly
3) Get a good fiberglass roller. Rolling the fiberglass is the most important step! While doing this you introduce a ton of air bubbles into the epoxy and the fiberglass. if you don't roll them out they sit under the glass or in the epoxy and can pop or crack in the future. This is how leaks happen, so be sure you roll all the air bubbles out to prevent this from happening
4) Try to avoid rounded corners <3/4". Rounded corners make it almost impossible to remove air bubbles. The fiberglass just slides over the curved surface and this is especially bad on small radius corners. Try to keep any rounded corners at 3/4" or more if you must have them. I had a few 2x4 edges in my build and those were 1/4" corners. It was impossible to get a bubble free adhesion of the epoxy and fiberglass (the fiberglass does not bend well at all at that radius).

Once the fiberglassing was done I added pond shield pond armor for color. The tins for this product are covered in labels saying that it is non-toxic but it smells awful. The boat epoxy had no odor whatsoever, Pond Armor STINKS. If you're doing this in your house, get some fans and open a lot of windows!

8pondarmor.jpg

Next came adding the acrylic windows. I picked these up from the local acrylic wholesaler with a uhaul and had a friend from work help me install the main window. The wisdom online said to rough up the sealing surfaces with 60 grit sand paper and liberally apply 3M 5200. We got there eventually after a lot of grunting and covering ourselves in 5200. Take it from me, wrestling a 250lb piece of 1.5" thick acrylic into a box is NOT a good time! I clamped it down and braced it, waiting 7 days for the cure before I installed the side window myself

IMG_20191009_170224.jpg

IMG_20191009_170245.jpg

In this picture you can see in the corner that I left about a 1/2" gap between the edge of the box and the window. This was eventually back filled with 3M 5200 with the expectation that the 5200 on the sealing surface and around the perimeter gap would be sufficient to keep water in the tank.

The side window was much easier to get in, half the thickness, 1.25" and about half the length!
IMG_20191013_112045.jpg

IMG_20191013_112030.jpg

Then came adding the top bracing

IMG_20191014_182828.jpg

Building the light rack

IMG_20191017_174345.jpg

And testing out my artificial Sun!

IMG_20191021_175730.jpg

IMG_20191021_175257.jpg

And as a final step I added the spa flex, bulkheads and got my wife to help me paint the exterior with some flat black enamel paint!

IMG_20191030_190837.jpg

IMG_20191030_190826.jpg

13plumbinginstall.jpg

And at this point we were ready to go to install the Monster, which will be the highlight of the next post. The build process after my window mistake went surprisingly smoothly. Maybe I should have seen that as a warning, but at this point I was blissfully ignorant of the excitement I had ahead of me.

Bump?

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've been leading COVID-19 test development for LabCorp, so haven't had much time for sleep, let alone the tank build thread. I'll try to get something up Monday though. The labs are in a good place now.

Well that’s cool. The antibody or the infection test? I’m scheduled to do the former tomorrow at labcorp. Do they work? ;)

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I developed the high throughput RT-PCR test and validated the at home collection kit that just got approved. If you're shedding virus, we'll detect it :) We've done 1 million tests on my assay so far. It was a lot of work! We were the first commercial lab to get approval.

Antibody tests in general are not great for relatively low prevalence infections but they're not worthless. Positives are basically a coin flip. The good tests are 99% specific, but the virus has probably infected <5% of the population in most places so there's at least a 25% chance a positive on a serology test is false.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I developed the high throughput RT-PCR test and validated the at home collection kit that just got approved. If you're shedding virus, we'll detect it :) We've done 1 million tests on my assay so far. It was a lot of work! We were the first commercial lab to get approval.

Antibody tests in general are not great for relatively low prevalence infections but they're not worthless. Positives are basically a coin flip. The good tests are 99% specific, but the virus has probably infected <5% of the population in most places so there's at least a 25% chance a positive on a serology test is false.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. And really, thanks for the hard work and contributing to society. Really

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re the guy developing the tests?!
You deserve a much large tank!

Thank you, for the stories and your amazing jobs work!

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just me. I have a team working on it. But I direct them, do the write ups, talk to the FDA. Fun times. But yes, we built all of the high throughput automation to get us to be able to process a huge number of samples every day.

Bigger tank, bigger problems. Haha, and can't comment too much otherwise I'll spoil the story. We're almost to the terrible part of it too!!

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you gotta stop making tests that help humanity and only focus on this story. You sir, are a good writer... of cliffhangers

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I think I may have been a little misleading about why I stopped posting to this thread. Work has been crazy, but these next few posts are very painful for me personally. Mostly because spending 4 months preparing for a tank move and building the tank only to have it turn into a bit of a catastrophe is not something I really want to revisit. The trauma is real. But I'll suck it up.

So I left off with the tank being basically done. There was a bit of additional work to do. I had to beef up the old stand to accommodate the larger footprint of the plywood tank and planned to re-level the platform once the old tank was off.

I started getting the area prepped for the move the day before. I cut a hole in the wall around the old tank so we could slide the new Plywood one into place. You'll notice it's slightly bigger.
IMG_20191122_165734.jpg

IMG_20191122_184540.jpg

Once the wall was opened up, I went to bed and set the alarm for 5:30am. I got up and things went really smoothly, I got all of the rock and corals out, put all of the fish into buckets.

IMG_20191123_091043.jpg

I got to the point where we could get the tank off the platform at around 11am only to discover that the platform wasn't flush with the bottom of the wall. This was a feature I forgot about when we originally finished the basement!
IMG_20191123_113144.jpg

So I got out the track saw and flushed it up.

IMG_20191123_122623.jpg

I slapped on some new half inch plywood to cover up the surface and then we moved the tank onto the platform (took about 6 people, I estimate the tank weighed about 900lbs)

IMG_20191123_134318.jpg

I started filling the tank with new salt water and old salt water. I had procured a bunch of stock tanks and rain barrels to make an extra 250 gallons of NSW to top up the new tank.

IMG_20191123_135806.jpg

IMG_20191123_170507.jpg

IMG_20191123_210115.jpg

At this point I added the sand and it turned the tank totally cloudy, which was expected. What wasn't expect was I was short on water by about 100 gallons. In my haste to figure out how was going to find 100 gallons of water (Picked some up from a buddy 45 minutes away), I forgot to change the water in my fish holding buckets, and my 12" caribbean queen angelfish died. Which really sucked because I got him as a juvenile and had him for about 7 years. Once the tank cleared the next day I got a couple nice pictures of the new setup and was totally in love with how it all turned out.

IMG_20191124_133147.jpg

IMG_20191124_132812.jpg

And we really enjoyed the tank for a good 3 days. It was awesome, everything was going perfectly, and then one night, everything came out of the tank, and the basement turned into a lagoon.

IMG_20191125_210054.jpg

How'd we get to the point of setting up the old tank on the basement floor? Well, you're going to have to stick around for the next installment (hopefully in less than 2 months!).

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread gives me anxiety and is why i would never have a tank that large. Probably should have built it outside and tested it first! Can't wait to see the positive end results!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was always a fear when I was building my plywood tanks. Based on my experience I can see a few things that are concerning but its hard to know if they would be the cause of the tank failure.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@h2so4hurts

I'll say, this thread is pretty awesome. I've made some mistakes with smaller tanks and learned lessons. But nothing on this scale!

Can't wait for the next chapter ;)

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was always a fear when I was building my plywood tanks. Based on my experience I can see a few things that are concerning but its hard to know if they would be the cause of the tank failure.

Like what?! Call it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back