500g Tank + 400g Filtration Build

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, recently my business partner and I opened a shop in Georgetown, Ky and we're finally getting the chance to put in our broodstock tank. This wont be the fastest build because I spend most of time at the shop and due to the space limitations there this tank will be in another location. The tank is 108"L x 36"H x 36"W and the best way I can describe it is a dual peninsula style. The two overflows are on each end with 2 -2" drains and 2 - 1" returns. I believe this tank was originally designed to be used with a surge system of some sort to handle a ton of flow.
IMG_0344.JPG

We decided to make the tank a room divider that will be surrounded with a custom skirt built out of salvaged barn wood. It just so happens that the tank was the perfect dimensions to fit between the columns of a catwalk that runs across the second story. Additionally, the tank will have a bar across the front end for guest to sit and enjoy the view up-close with a drink in their hand if they so choose. Here are a few pictures to give you a better idea of what I'm rambling on about.
IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG

The tank will be plumbed to the basement where we will be using a 180 gallon sump, as well as, a 200 gallon trough for our coral propagation needs. Hopefully, we'll be able get the ball rolling on the plumbing this week. Once we get in all the equipment in I will share our equipment list. We'll update this build as often as possible. Thanks for spending the time reading our post!

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got me daydreaming about the possibilities. Can't wait for more.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first picture make me nervous! Is there a particular reason the 4 middle feet of the stand are off the ground with the tank full of water??

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first picture make me nervous! Is there a particular reason the 4 middle feet of the stand are off the ground with the tank full of water??

There was no water in the tank. This was durning transport to the house. Those dolly wheels would snap under that kind of pressure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back