500G Tank: socks, ozone, filter floss or Other?

apapireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm designing a 500G mixed reef tank and deciding on the filtration system. I'm planning on a large skimmer, large refugium, possible phosphate and carbon reactors, and a secondary frag tank underneath to run at night time. I've heard a lot of pros and cons on having socks, filter floss and ozone. I'm reading that overdoing it with all of these can lead to poor coral growth from absence of nutrients. I'm planning on having a lot of fish in the tank and a healthy amount of LPS and LPS coral. Maybe I should start with just socks, transition to floss, and then skimmer and then ozone and just pre-plan for the different stages of evolution of the biosphere of the tank? The tank dimensions will be 102"x36"x32" with viewing from three sides so clarity is a top priority. As much maintenance as this tank is going to need, I want to be efficient in how it is maintained. I tend to opt for systems which need less frequent interventions, so my bias would be to change carbon or socks less frequently and would prefer to invest in other alternatives. But I also want to grow a lot of corals and don't want to kill them by overdoing the nutrient removal. Any thoughts are welcomed!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider a filter roller instead of socks if you want to cut down on maintenance. Algae Turf Scrubbers work well at controlling nutrients, but do require cleaning. The can be built for almost nothing. Under $30 ATS

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back