50G Tank Refurbish

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my tank to keep me busy for a while, and a shrimp project in the works, but Dennis needed something that was just his. He wants a dog faced puffer, and although this tank won't hold it for long it gives him something to do and a starting point for a small one til he gets a deal on a bigger tank. Mostly, he likes something he can improve, so he's got a project on his hands.
We picked up this 50G yesterday for a great price, including home built stand and hood, tops, light, sump, heater, with a skimmer thrown in free if we can figure out how to make it work on this tank great if not, it's always nice to have. And some extra water bottles. The stand and hood are painted black, the brand of the tank and sump are Oceanic. The tank trim had been painted black as well but was peeling so that will need to come off.
Now for some pics of what he's doing:
<b>
IMG_4704.jpg

<b>
Sanding the stand. The stand was also painted black and is peeling. He's going to paint it black again, after he gets it all sanded down, and shores up a few spots that have separated on the base.
<b>
IMG_4705.jpg

<b>
Getting pretty far on the sanding
<b>
IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

<b>
A few shots of the tank. Needs some cleaning, but that's pretty normal.
<b>
IMG_4707.jpg

<b>
Anyone know what the diagonal lines are on the back of the tank?
<b>
IMG_4713.jpg

<b>
Anyone know what this is for? It's open on the end without a hose attached. I suspected it attached to the sump--a few pictures further ahead.
<b>
IMG_4714.jpg

<b>
Free skimmer. Seaclone 100. Yes it has a crappy reputation but it's a small tank so maybe. And that's only if we can figure a way to hook it up. The collection cup's still sitting on the worktable.
<b>
IMG_4717.jpg

<b>
Looking inside the sump. Oceanic Model 75 Trickle Filter. It had bioballs in the inner part but sand and live rock rubble and chaeto sounds like a good idea to us.
<b>
IMG_4721.jpg

<b>
pump for the sump.
<b>
IMG_4719.jpg

Remember that airline and plastic tube assembly earlier with suction cups? Does it go on here? If not, what is this for?
<b>
IMG_4723.jpg

And finally, for now, there's some black like potscrubber stuff where thereturn jets connect to the overflow. Is this supposed to be there?

Well that's it for now. If anyone's interested in his progress, I'll post updates. Thanks for looking at Dennis' project!

Upon looking at the preview I see the html for break wasn't needed, but I'm too lazy to take them out right now! LOL

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't ask, because the seller was moving across the country, but I felt like he HAD to have been on as a member of the club or the forum before--he had multiple tanks. So Robert if you're reading this, thanks again! He's enjoying it!

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want some turbo snails for the nano to try to help with algae control. I went to get dressed, Dennis went downstairs to make-up water jugs and start the RO/DI unit back up then we were to leave for Critter. I just heard a familiar sound--the sander! Guess he got sidetracked on the stand again!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back