54L/14G tank for clownfish? + alot of questions

sweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My plan was to first get a freshwater tank and learn how to master that and then go for saltwater! I bought my first freshwater fishes for some months ago and i am not planning on making a saltwater tank in the near future but I figured, why not start do the research now?

1. My dream would be to have a clownfish tank and I wonder if 54 L 60x30x30(14G 23.6x11.8x11.8) would be too small for 2 clownfishes? If yes, can I keep 2 females or 2 males or would they fight etc? If no, is it possible to keep only 1 clownfish alone in a tank or would it be unhappy?

On some places I have read that clown fishes need at least 113L(30G) and on other places Ive read that a clownfish will be happy in a 19L(5G) tank. Its very hard to know what info to go after. can you please recommend me a website that has accurate info?

2. Does a saltwater tank have to cost alot?
2.1 I am pretty sure that my freshwater filter would be to no use if I some day converted it to saltwater but I might be wrong?
2.2 I am most certain that a pump is needed but what pump woul be enough for my tank size? I was thinking about a 1500L/h(396G/h) or a 2000L/h(528G/h) pump. what do yo uthink about that?
2.3 Is it a good or a bad idea to go from a clown fish only tank to live stone and from there build it up. or does the tank has to be fully done when adding the fishes?
2.4 The light seems to be the most expensive thing about saltwater tanks? they seems crazy expensive over here. Do you have any tips for me when it comes to the lights?

3. is a skimmer needed?

4. Can you please recommend things to start to read about, and please give me sources with accurate info

Last edited:

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to answer a few of your questions:

First, don't get two female clownfish , they'll kill each other. Two juveniles or males will usually work ok as the larger one will become female if they become bonded.

You need live rock before fish, it's a huge part of the biological filtration

Of you do a fish only with live rock (fowlr) tank with no coral or an anemone you don't need an expensive light,

A skimmer isn't necessary but it's helpful

Smaller tanks are subject to more rapid changes in water parameters, especially with salinity due to evaporation. You would need to be very vigilant about adding fresh top of water so the salinity stays stable, your fish will die if you don't

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef !!!!!
Don’t hesitate to ask questions. Even if you think it’s a “dumb question”. Also this hobby requires a ton of patience and rushing things will end badly.

Maybe read up on some articles before discussing what type of fish can go in your tank. Like the proper way on cycling a SW tank and understanding how a tank works.

Setting up a tank:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/
Cycling:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cycling-an-aquarium.306554/

What’s your budget on the tank ?
This hobby doesn’t have to cost you a fortune. You can find a lots of deals from local hobbyists getting out of the hobby deals or just equipment they have laying around.
What current equipment do you have now that you think you can use for a sw tank ?
You can save money on skipping on a skimmer.

Clownfish can thrive alone and don’t need a partner to survive. If your goal is to buy 2 clowns you’ll want to find a pair or get a small one (male) and a big one (female). This will ensure that they won’t end up killing each other. They bare minimum for clowns is a 20 gallon but a 14 gallon could work if they’re the only fish in the tank. I would stay away from the place that said “they can live in a 5 gallon”. Very bad information.

OP
OP
S

sweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot for the answers and for the links!

I have decided to invest in a bigger tank for the SW setup. I have seen a pretty cheap 112L(29.5G) tank but nothing is included(no lid etc). Does the dimensions of a SW tank matter?
My current aquarium table can take 300kg(661.38pounds) but the length of the table are going to be alot shorter than the tanks length, will that be a problem?

This is what I have:
Glo Sun-Glo 15W T8
Hagen heater 50w
A small siphon
temp
algae scraper

I am pretty sure the inner filter/pump I have now is nothing I can use for the SW tank

Things I know that I need:
Live rock, 11.2kg(24.11lb). Or could I go with less rock?
glue for the rocks?
Live Sand(how deep does it have to be?)
Powerheads/pumps
Anemone!
lights
light-stand?
lid
test kits
salt

Would you guys recommend to have corals?
Is the rocks going to be my only flitration?
Would weekly water changes make up for no skimmer?
How long time does the cycling take on an average and how much would it cost to speed it up?

I would really want the clownfishes to have an anemone but I have no idea how to do with the lights

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a ton of info in the sticky notes on these pages. Just reading through them will answer a lot of the questions you have. Once you start getting into coral the cost goes up quite a bit. You'll have to increase flow and have proper lighting. Live sand the kind you get shipped in water isn't necessary, just speeds up the cycle and maybe some hitchhikers. IMO don't rush, spend a few weeks researching and putting together a list of must haves. After that is done most of your questions will already be answered as well as given you the info as to if you want to proceed or not. I spent about 2 months or so researching in my free time before spending any money. I still have no clue what I'm doing lol

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think this is a hobby you can go cheap on or speed things up you'll just end up spending more or starting over right. Even the places where you can go cheaper on things aren't really "cheap"

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Here are my answers to your questions.

1. My dream would be to have a clownfish tank and I wonder if 54 L 60x30x30(14G 23.6x11.8x11.8) would be too small for 2 clownfishes?
I would go bigger if you can, at least 20 gallons, (30 or more preferably)
If yes, can I keep 2 females or 2 males or would they fight etc?
Two females will kill each other. Two males or a pair of male female is preferable. In case you didn't know, they are all born male and one changes to female when they pair up.
If no, is it possible to keep only 1 clownfish alone in a tank or would it be unhappy?
Clownfish seem to be happier in a pair, but that is just my opinion, no scientific facts here. :)

On some places I have read that clown fishes need at least 113L(30G) and on other places Ive read that a clownfish will be happy in a 19L(5G) tank. Its very hard to know what info to go after. can you please recommend me a website that has accurate info?
I usually start out by Googling the name of the fish and read all the info that comes up. Live Aquaria is a website that comes up very often in the top results and has very useful information about every fish they sell.

2. Does a saltwater tank have to cost alot?
No, (but it is more than a freshwater tank)
2.1 I am pretty sure that my freshwater filter would be to no use if I some day converted it to saltwater but I might be wrong?
I have been using a Hang On Back, (HOB) filter for my two 45 gallon QT tanks and it works just fine, (with weekly water changes though)
2.2 I am most certain that a pump is needed but what pump woul be enough for my tank size? I was thinking about a 1500L/h(396G/h) or a 2000L/h(528G/h) pump. what do yo uthink about that?
Depends on what kind of flow you are looking for, the tank size, dimensions and what you are keeping. More research will be needed for you to figure that out.
2.3 Is it a good or a bad idea to go from a clown fish only tank to live stone and from there build it up. or does the tank has to be fully done when adding the fishes?
Tank should be fully done before adding fish.
2.4 The light seems to be the most expensive thing about saltwater tanks? they seems crazy expensive over here. Do you have any tips for me when it comes to the lights?
If you are going fish only you can get a much cheaper light. For coral or Anenomes you will need a better light. You don't have to go crazy, but get the best one you can afford.
3. is a skimmer needed?
No, but it can reduce the amount of water changes needed without one.
4. Can you please recommend things to start to read about, and please give me sources with accurate info[/QUOTE]
The sticky threads here are very informative. Start here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Last edited:

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. Does a saltwater tank have to cost alot? No but it does anyway...... You can really get great deals used (Craigslist or local shops) from people who have out-grown their stuff.
2.1 I am pretty sure that my freshwater filter would be to no use if I some day converted it to saltwater but I might be wrong? It can serve purposes.... You can make it into a refugium at some point maybe. I think charcoal/filtration helps clear the tank up when you start too.
2.2 I am most certain that a pump is needed but what pump woul be enough for my tank size? I was thinking about a 1500L/h(396G/h) or a 2000L/h(528G/h) pump. what do yo uthink about that? You mean for water circulation? I would get two of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004F461UA/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
2.3 Is it a good or a bad idea to go from a clown fish only tank to live stone and from there build it up. or does the tank has to be fully done when adding the fishes? Covered already... you need rock.... the more the better.
2.4 The light seems to be the most expensive thing about saltwater tanks? they seems crazy expensive over here. Do you have any tips for me when it comes to the lights? Probably one of these will cover you: https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dim...t&qid=1553623448&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

3. is a skimmer needed? No, but if you can get a really inexpensive one, that still does a good job, then it's totally worth it.

One of these (with an upgraded pump) came on my 46g tank, and it worked great..... despite the rough amazon reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ocean-P...s=hob+skimmer&qid=1553622685&s=gateway&sr=8-6

4. Can you please recommend things to start to read about, and please give me sources with accurate info Buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...F8&condition=used&qid=1553623797&sr=8-1-fkmr0

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have decided to invest in a bigger tank for the SW setup. I have seen a pretty cheap 112L(29.5G) tank but nothing is included(no lid etc). Does the dimensions of a SW tank matter?
My current aquarium table can take 300kg(661.38pounds) but the length of the table are going to be alot shorter than the tanks length, will that be a problem?

This is what I have:
Glo Sun-Glo 15W T8
Hagen heater 50w
A small siphon
temp
algae scraper

I am pretty sure the inner filter/pump I have now is nothing I can use for the SW tank

glue for the rocks?
Powerheads/pumps
Anemone!
lights
light-stand?
lid
test kits
salt

How long time does the cycling take on an average and how much would it cost to speed it up?

I would really want the clownfishes to have an anemone but I have no idea how to do with the lights
The dimensions of the tank don’t matter.
It always better to stick with FOWLR (fish only with live rock) for the beginning of the hobby and then introduce coral.
Anemones are a whole different story. They’re very complicated and delicate animals. They need a tank that’s older the 6 months and require great lighting. Also not all anemones will host clownfish. It has to come “naturally”.
Your going to need some type of me mechanic and chemical (optional) filtration. You rocks and sand are part of your biological filter. You can have as many pounds of sand and rock as you want but rule of them it’s 1 pound per gallon for both sand and rock.
Since it’s your first tank it’s better to take things slow. Cycling is a big step in setting up your tank. Cycling usually takes about a month

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are a whole different story. They’re very complicated and delicate animals. They need a tank that’s older the 6 months and require great lighting.

I’m not sure why so many people try to scare people away from Anemones, but like every fish etc, you can put in your tank..... If your parameters swing, you risk losing stuff..... so keep your water kosher and go for the nem I say.....

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why so many people try to scare people away from Anemones, but like every fish etc, you can put in your tank..... If your parameters swing, you risk losing stuff..... so keep your water kosher and go for the nem I say.....
There’s a reason why many people suggest not get anemones until the 6 month mark.
They could end up nuking the tank or causing other live stock to die. Just my suggestion. This hobby is full of opinions and I was just sharing mine.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a reason why many people suggest not get anemones until the 6 month mark.
They could end up nuking the tank or causing other live stock to die. Just my suggestion. This hobby is full of opinions and I was just sharing mine.
Out of all the different recommendations and suggestions I have gotten and heard so far in this hobby, waiting 6 months before adding an Anemone seems to be the consistent answer from everyone that has ever kept Anemones. Because of that fact, I am waiting for at least 6 months before adding an Anemone to my tank.

SOARnTACO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I have:
Glo Sun-Glo 15W T8
Hagen heater 50w
A small siphon
temp
algae scraper

glue for the rocks?
Powerheads/pumps
Anemone!
lights
light-stand?
lid
test kits
salt

Current USA makes affordable lights and my rose bubble tip been doing great hosting a pair of clowns. Until you get a anemone u won’t really need any power heads. I have a 125 now and never glue rocks. Less can Be more for a sand bed but more add more beneficial bacteria. Seachem stability helps the cycle. But test ammonia nitrate and nitrites. So u know when it’s cycled.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back