55 gallom reef light

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking around for lights for my 55 gallon reef tank do you guys thing this would be good I'm planning on getting two of them
e7651814025c4bada3c04eca47a9262e.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of those would be fine for a 55, you would need to not turn it up all the way just for the record. Personally and I know a lot of us here prefer the SB Reeflights for a general Chinese black box on the cheap side of things. They have a much better color diode layout.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful about the wattage rating, sometimes the fixtures are rated not by how much wattage they use (what we are interested in as a function of light output) but rather the wattage rating of the LEDs. So, for instance, a fixture could have 50, three-watt LEDs (looks like your fixtures have 50 LEDs), rated for a maximum wattage of 150 watts, but only pull, or output, half of that - depending on how they are driven. Brand name and USA fixtures are less misleading in this area since they know they can't get away with it...

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reefeco said. Just be careful with those chinese black boxes. Did my research on those a long time ago and decided to save my money, bit the bullet, and went with something with proven results. Aqua illumination.

That being said, i totally recommend reef breeders fixtures. Theyre kinda like black boxes, but the build quality is much better. Ive had them before and would use them again.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will grow coral.

At that price point get three. It'll look better. And have better coverage.
Also buy a $15 Lux meter.

Set the color to the ratio you want and make it pretty to look at.
Then set the intensity.
Look for about 15- 20,000lux to start with measured right at the top of the water.

You can also use one , 30in model, It's the 300w model. It's got two 150w led drivers in it. The 165 have two 80w drivers in it.

Sbreeflight is a better brand. It has better spectrum also a 2yr warranty.
Also a Facebook support page and you can talk to the owner Mike. We can also tag him here on R2r.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back