55 gallon Copperband Butterfly Fish Sanctuary Tank

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After more than a year, my Copperband Butterfly Fish suddenly found with least 3 bites out of its tail. This was out of the blue. Uncertain who did this in tank, though historically my tangs and flame angel have been Death Dealers... but July 2021 did 3 weeks of acclimation box and rehomed worst offender (sailfin, similar stripe markings, this is documented in other post(s)).

Used large egg crate cut to become tank divider and gave CBB 1/4th tank to heal. After couple weeks, CCBB PTSD seemed to get worse, and when CBB twitched when a small tiara anthias came near, I had enough.

Here is a photo of my CBB hiding up at my return pumps.
IMG_1423.JPG

Many of you know my BF said no more tanks over and over. Didn't care. CBB has stopped eating.

Said non-negotiable I'm getting second tank because it is either that or rehome CBB. However, those that have followed my CBB success (other thread) know that my success is due to feeding live black worms which is an expensive proposition for someone else to take on. Don't know that I could find someone willing to take on traumatized CBB that only eats live black worms (and now nothing).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I negotiated giving away my anemones (and breeding 3 clown harem - momma, daddy & juvenile) out of main tank for 2nd tank. Checked all my online groups and hobby club website, and found someone selling corner tank cheap. Since cheap was my budget and it had everything (tank, stand, filter, light, pumps), I went with the tank option found thru OfferUp close to my home.

I thought I bought a 32 gallon corner tank. Here is a photo during tank setup with 30 gallons of saltwater...
ADWJ5432.JPG
UOJY3699.JPG

Previous owner texted me back that I actually had bought a 55 gallon corner tank. Made more saltwater lol

Feeling like I'm going WAY back to my saltwater roots with using canister filter. It's what came with tank. I'll use it for now. May use it for long term both because stand has very limited space and because of finances - doing this sanctuary tank on the cheap. I picked this tank because it has all my basics for my CBB's needs.

Here's a photo of the canister filter that came with my used tank bundle (it leaked, now fixed) - also put a shallow plastic tray/tub under filter so when I take off hoses that water goes somewhere other than on wood cabinet or my floor:
UNPG9212.JPG

Moved fish out of main tank and into sanctuary tank:
IMG_1446.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original saltwater used to start this tank came from main tank (and added clean newly mixed saltwater to main tank - think 'water change'). The additional saltwater mixed also went into main tank and I drew off more 'aged' water from main tank to start the new CBB sanctuary tank.

Common sense, can't cycle tank with CBB.

CBB is still not eating (as of 9/7/22). I've seeded CBB sanctuary tank with 4 bottles of @Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods.
IMG_1456.JPG

I've got an aiptasia problem in my main tank, so I used live rock that came bundled with purchase. After a week, seems either small anemone or more likely little mushroom is coming out from rock. Have not reached to previous owner, as I'll figure it out when it gets a little bigger.

Here is shot of the little blob:
IMG_1467.JPG

Even it I got aiptasia (doesn't everyone in DFW have them at this point...), I'll zap with F-Aiptasia. Smaller tank is so much easier to control pests than my big tank.

Some of you may have been following my @Reef Nutrition lazy pod culture method, but it is letting me divert some of the daily pods from main tank to new sanctuary tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes I hate being right... yep same algae(s) from main tank are already settling into new tank... if you look above, we started with water from the main tank so no surprise...
INSERT PHOTO HERE

so, might be bryopis, might be hair algae, doesn't look like turf algae, but other tank has all those so just give it time lol... seems to be growing fast as either yesterday or this morning it just seemed 'dusty' but now about 1mm and of course on glass, on substrate - yipee! (not... lol)

now, where oh where is my first aiptasia over here in CBB Sanctuary?! Those that think all CBBs will eat aiptasia, well this diva of a fish (as well as all my other fish) prefer yummy fish food over eating pest-y things ... and sanctuary tank is setup in huge part because this fish stopped eating everything/anything...

Today the feather duster worm looks pretty rough, so hoping CBB might have eaten at my poor worm... that is what this sacrificial cute feather duster worm is there to do, get CBB eating again. This week, one of our LFSs just got in more flame scallops... today I was going to get one to tempt CBB but if CBB ate feather duster... but its end of week, nitrates are up at 40 so maybe feather duster is just waiting for weekly water change to knock things back in line. 'Sacrificial' live flame scallop as well as additional feather duster worms never changed appearances.

IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperbanded Butterfly Fish #2 Funeral Sept 16th 2022 after work

I can't just put fish in trash can like I would if any other fish died. We are going to dig it a hole in our side yard with a little ceremony.

IMG_1477.JPG

Overnight our Copperbanded Butterfly Fish passed away. Seeing it in dish, I am surprised it had gotten so big/tall - doubled in size in 14 months I had CBB.

I know before August tail biting CBB was very thick. This extra body fat is likely what enabled CBB to live so long without eating before starving to death. CBB had gotten so very thin that it's death is not a surprise. Last night I noticed CBB seemed knife edge thin except for its face. I'd expected its belly to pull upwards from self-imposed starvation, but stomach never did.

As I ask myself what could I have done better, my only answer is sooner CBB having its own gentle, passive sanctuary tank.
  1. If it had never acclimated into main tank, CBB would never have stopped eating normal fish food during its stress of acclimation (refer other thread; our sailfin Death Dealer).
    1. 3 weeks in acclimation box still getting body slammed
      1. sailfin tang was rehomed
      2. photo from July 2021 - body slam box 3 weeks:
        Sailfin trying to kill CBB 2021-07-04.JPG
      3. CBB wouldn't eat after acclimation release; finally only thing was ball anemones (never aiptasia), pods & live black worms
    2. avg pound month at $40 for worms and $40 for shipping (now more), $80x12 months
    3. = $960 in black worms...
  2. it wasn't living in main community tank, CBB would not have gotten bit 3+ times on tail
    1. developed PTSD
    2. stopped eating everything even live black worms.

Now, we are left with CBB Sanctuary Tank but no CBB. Tank still has all the fishy friends I'd been collecting for CBB:
  • 'sacrificial' live red scallop
  • 'sacrificial' feather dusters
  • citron goby
  • neon blue goby (2)
  • hector's goby
  • 'sacrificial' pods, pods, pods...

Wanted to change rock configuration to build better cave so when it was adult (12") it would have nicer sleeping space (14") cave. Also wished I had purchased drilled tank with overflow, even though the shape of tank means sump potential area is small. Now might be the time to drain tank, put all the fishy friends in tub for about a week, have tank drilled and put in overflow. It will not be immediately but in the near term.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to keep track of this post for later...

Maybe you've seen the one we built by taking magnet from cleaner and using standard Home Depot PVC plumbing parts. This is a little more shallow of a build, which has advantages like in my acclimation box when fish is moving between quarantine to tank

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanctuary 55 gallon tank is tempered glass sides and bottom. I am unable to drill and I do not want hang on back (HOB).

This tank is being sold.

New (to me... used, found in relative area) tank, stand and miscl may be here as soon as Saturday. We've already negotiated price, but it was too large for my car. It is being held until Saturday when we go back with our little pickup (which I am not allowed to drive...)

This thread is ending. Thank you all for the reviews, feedback and love. New tank eventually will have replacement CBB and should never turn into a finicky eater as only super peaceful CBB friendly fish will be in current and new tank. CBB friends don't know they are moving up to nicer tank!

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Owner Photos of My Old 55 Tank

I sold my 55 gallon bowfront glass tank on FaceBook Marketplace. Had a LOT of interest, but maybe some were scammers or just people looking to flip my tank since I was offering it cheap (and they wanted it even cheaper lol).

The new owner of my (now old) 55 gallon tank seems to have aquascaped better than me and also repainted stand in a nice color.

2022-12-05 next owner clownfish pics 1 of 3 (1).jpg
2022-12-05 next owner clownfish pics 2 of 3.jpg

I am pleased my old tank found a new home. Her clowns seem very happy (can't get the video to link). I really miss my CBB.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back