55 Gallon FOWLR HOB Filter

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the idea of rinsing the filter material during a water change (and I thought it was a salt water not tap water rinse) meant you got rid of most of the garbage but kept helpful bacteria. If you're replacing filtration material multiple times a week doesn't that risk losing the helpful bacteria/microbes, etc that are living there and basically force the system to start anew? If you are using entirely fresh material have you found that does anything to your water parameters?
That is absolutely true in freshwater. When we switch to saltwatwer, we have to « unlearn » a few things…

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely true in freshwater. When we switch to saltwatwer, we have to « unlearn » a few things…
I am SO discovering that (and I thought discus had a learning curve!)

So when replacing the filter components, would it be best to use the filters desiged for the system (carbon/fiber cartridge) or to cut a filter pad to size?

Also, the DIY I referenced suggests using a pre-intake sponge. Will this provide benefits in the system? Currently the intake tube has a sealed bottom and the cage structure you see in the photo below. It seems having an extra space to skim stuff would be good, correct?

IMG_3481.jpeg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when replacing the filter components, would it be best to use the filters desiged for the system (carbon/fiber cartridge) or to cut a filter pad to size?
I use an internal skimmer and internal filter. I use Seachem Matrix (carbon) for now, and filter floss. Filter floss is easy to replace, and cheap. And it traps a lot of debris.

I also had a coarse sponge but removed it as it’s harder to clean.

What I’m saying is use it for mechanical filtration, whatever you like that’s easy and cheap to replace, and chemical filtration on a per need basis. Changing mechanical media often is a good way to get rid of nitrates. And contrary to freshwater, biological filtration media isn’t necessary in the filter. Rocks and sand take care of it.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion to post some images. This is a video of the filter in action just to get an idea of the flow rate.

This is the filter from the top. I've set it up, as you can see, in its standard configuration at the moment. The blue is the plastic, and the white is the stuff with the carbon.
IMG_3409.jpg

Here's another shot of the carbon portion. It's a double decker.
IMG_3408.jpg
In between these two filtration items is a solid plastic wall. I can also move the items forward to get more space in the reservoir. Each side of the reservoir is about 4" wide and 6" deep and can be between 1-2" wide (depending upon where the filtration materials are.

So my thought was maybe one could be a refugium -- with maybe filtration material so everything doesn't go flowing into the tank? Or is that just unrealistic?

BTW, I can adjust the flow on the filter. I thin the video shows it fastest.

And thanks for the skimmer recommendation! I know that will be an addition at some point.

I have used a similar filter before. It will work fine. Keep the blue plastic and ditch the factory carbon filters. Get some poly filter or some other bulk filter media and cut it to fit behind the blue pieces. You can then rinse those out when you clean the filter and the blue pieces give them something to get pinned against with the flow. For carbon, get a media bag snd you can put whatever media you need in it and drop it in behind. I ran a setup like this for 4 years.

you will not be able to make a refuge in back there. If you want a good HOB setup that is a filter/skimmer/Refugium all in one check out the Aquamaxx HF-M

I am running it now and I really like it. It’s super quiet too.

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a similar filter before. It will work fine. Keep the blue plastic and ditch the factory carbon filters. Get some poly filter or some other bulk filter media and cut it to fit behind the blue pieces. You can then rinse those out when you clean the filter and the blue pieces give them something to get pinned against with the flow. For carbon, get a media bag snd you can put whatever media you need in it and drop it in behind. I ran a setup like this for 4 years.

you will not be able to make a refuge in back there. If you want a good HOB setup that is a filter/skimmer/Refugium all in one check out the Aquamaxx HF-M

I am running it now and I really like it. It’s super quiet too.
Thank you!
I had a rogue chromis (nicknamed Bully Bob -- killed one of the initial three chromis I added to the tank) so I ended up putting a small breeder box on the back to put him (her?) in iso for two weeks. Bully just got released and (fingers crossed) is now behaving with the other chromis and two clowns. The trio are acutally acting as a unified force which is pretty funny. I've added some cheato to the breeder box and am seeing if it can be a small fuge.
But I have the Aquamax on my wish list for when I want to expand.

TNreefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue insert you can toss. The rocks in your tank will do the job of bio-filtration just fine. I always felt that blue insert was nothing more than marketing.

If you can afford it, I would suggest a good canister filter to replace the Hang on back one you have now. I personally use a Fluval FX6 on my 55 and I believe it to be well worth the money.

If you plan to keep only fish, you don't need a skimmer or a sump or even good lighting... water changes are all you really need.

A FOWLR setup honestly is not much more complex than a freshwater setup. Just more expensive and requires just a bit more diligence when it comes to actually doing your maintenance.

TNreefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue insert you can toss. The rocks in your tank will do the job of bio-filtration just fine. I always felt that blue insert was nothing more than marketing.

If you can afford it, I would suggest a good canister filter to replace the Hang on back one you have now. I personally use a Fluval FX6 on my 55 and I believe it to be well worth the money.

If you plan to keep only fish, you don't need a skimmer or a sump or even good lighting... water changes are all you really need.

A FOWLR setup honestly is not much more complex than a freshwater setup. Just more expensive and requires just a bit more diligence when it comes to actually doing your maintenance.
Fx6 isn't overkill for 55 reef? Seriously asking bc Im about to upgrade to a 55? Thank you!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fx6 isn't overkill for 55 reef? Seriously asking bc Im about to upgrade to a 55? Thank you!

I don't think so. The larger capacity means it needs cleaning less often. It also allows you to easily swap out chemical media if you are using it (carbon, ect ect.)

Before I upgraded to my 135, I had both an FX6 and an old Rena Filstar 350 on my 55g. Having 2 canisters meant I only had to clean one every other week.

They’re a pain to clean and make a mess when you do. I had an FX4 and sold it.

Canisters in general are a pain to clean. This is why they have an unwarranted reputation of being a "Nitrate factory". It is not because they produce more Nitrates than any other system, it is because their owners are lazy and don't, or don't want to clean them.

ANY filtration system is a pain to clean and make a mess. This is part of keeping a slice of the ocean in the most unnatural area possible... aka your living room.

Last edited:

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to saltwater (have done freshwater before) and am cycling my tank, which will be a 55 gallon FOWLR.

The tank was a gift, and came with a Top Fin Silenstream HOB Filter 75 (~400GPM), which I'm trying to optimize for saltwater use. I understand I may need to upgrade at some time. I know the included filter cartridge is likely not good for saltwater in the long run, and have already investigated protein skimmers (I don't have the space for a sump).

The tank has about 40 lbs of live sand and the same amount of live rock. I'm currently running the filter with the blue plastic insert (which is supposed to gather beneficial bacteria) and am temporarily using the cartridge that was included, with activated carbon hoping to eliminate any impurities. I would like to eliminate the filter cartridge for a non-carbon filter media eventually.

I found this guide which seems to make a lot of sense, but the author is talking about freshwater aquariums: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...tream-aquaclear-and-other-hob-filters.385506/.

My questions:
1. If I plan on removing the charcoal from the stock cartridge and rinsing it during water changes, will that be effective? Or would using new material (conditioned in the tank of course) be preferable?
2. I know Biomax works for saltwater as additional bio-media, and am planning on putting it into the reservoir of the filter. But the reservoir is divided into sides separated by a plastic wall. Would it be possible to use one side to try and establish a small refugium? I love the idea of having a place to grow things like copepods, but I worry the water flow may be too strong.
3. Is plastic really a place where beneficial bacteria will grow? If I remove it, it would allow for more space for a thicker filter media or rectangular sponge.

Thank you why don't u just buy a cheap reactor for carbon and keep your hob for filter floss?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters in general are a pain to clean. This is why they have an unwarranted reputation of being a "Nitrate factory". It is not because they produce more Nitrates than any other system, it is because their owners are lazy and don't, or don't want to clean them.
I’ve had many canister filters and some are a lot easier to clean. This one was the worst I’ve ever had. Never again.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back