55 Gallon Stocking Idea

BirdieBoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first ever saltwater tank is almost finished cycling and I am looking for any advice or recommendations on my stocking list. Planning on starting with the clown fish pair and the wrasse. Is this to many fish for a 55 gallon?

Clown fish pair
Goby/shrimp pair
Fire fish
Zebra barred dart fish
Carpenters or mccoskers Wrasse
Flame hawk fish
Green file fish

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first ever saltwater tank is almost finished cycling and I am looking for any advice or recommendations on my stocking list. Planning on starting with the clown fish pair and the wrasse. Is this to many fish for a 55 gallon?

Clown fish pair
Goby/shrimp pair
Fire fish
Zebra barred dart fish
Carpenters or mccoskers Wrasse
Flame hawk fish
Green file fish
Looks good...maybe could add midas blenny

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! List is looking good! Be aware that some Flame hawkfish eat shrimp, I think this is variable from fish to fish though. Starting with the clowns is always a good idea and usually its best to go from least aggressive to most aggressive on your stock list. I think fire fish are a little on the timid side, you might start with them over the wrasse. Definitely do the goby/shrimp pair before the hawkfish to give them time to get comfortable in the tank and establish their territory. Most of these guys are going to be pretty small and stay small, as long as you have adequate nutrient export strategies, I'm sure you can add a few more to this list in the future. Just take your time and don't rush anything! Good luck!

OP
OP
BirdieBoi

BirdieBoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! List is looking good! Be aware that some Flame hawkfish eat shrimp, I think this is variable from fish to fish though. Starting with the clowns is always a good idea and usually its best to go from least aggressive to most aggressive on your stock list. I think fire fish are a little on the timid side, you might start with them over the wrasse. Definitely do the goby/shrimp pair before the hawkfish to give them time to get comfortable in the tank and establish their territory. Most of these guys are going to be pretty small and stay small, as long as you have adequate nutrient export strategies, I'm sure you can add a few more to this list in the future. Just take your time and don't rush anything! Good luck!
Would you suggest a different species of hawkfish or just no hawkfish at all?

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest a different species of hawkfish or just no hawkfish at all?
Depends on your risk threshold for losing any shrimp. I think the risk is even less with a pistol shrimp who has that snapping defense mechanism and who typically hangs out near or in its burrow. I would say cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and sexy shrimp who are out in the open and small enough to be eaten are more of a risk. My LFS recommended one of the other hawkfish like the geometric, long nose, or arc eye hawk fish because in their experience they have never seen those ones eat their shrimp. I think the flame hawkfish is pretty cool and think it will probably be fine with the pistol shrimp but if you will be devastated by having to replace your pistol shrimp then I would look at the others mentioned.

Matrig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g and will get burnt for saying what I have….

2 x Clowns
Yellow Belly blue tang
Melanarus wrasse
Allen‘s Sandsifter
Snowflake eel
porky
scorpion fish
dwarf lion
2 x chromis
tassled file fish

yes nutrients are a battle but these guys are awesome

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g and will get burnt for saying what I have….

2 x Clowns
Yellow Belly blue tang
Melanarus wrasse
Allen‘s Sandsifter
Snowflake eel
porky
scorpion fish
dwarf lion
2 x chromis
tassled file fish

yes nutrients are a battle but these guys are awesome
I imagine nutrients would be a challenge! Buy hey, if everyone's happy and getting along...

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added to the list, thanks for the tip.
Please get a lid. The one kid locally is on his 4th Midas. They are suicidal missiles.

I'm the #1 fan of flame hawks. Cool fish.

If you plan on keeping corals, just watch that file fish, they tend to nip corals from my experience.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back