55 gallon tank set up could use some advice

Samantha1801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 55 gallon tank from a petco sale. We plan to move sometime this year so I have time to get the other supplies needed. I have never done a saltwater aquarium before but I have always wanted to and figured this would be a good size to start.
I'd like some advice on what products would be good choices to buy but not break the bank. I'd also like some advice on stocking. I read online that in a 55 you can only have 2 or 3 fish. If true I feel a little disappointed about that. I was told I could have more than that but I would absolutely have to have a sump system and my tank is not cut for one (I was told apparently it has to be?)

I really want to make this happen and any advice is so appreciated

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a 55g work with something as simple as a seachem tidal filter sized appropriately. I like that it has a suction tube that reaches towards the bottom of the tank and has surface skimming ability.

I would advise against a canister filter.

Also, if you want a lot of fish, you just need to choose the right type.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 55 gallon tank from a petco sale. We plan to move sometime this year so I have time to get the other supplies needed. I have never done a saltwater aquarium before but I have always wanted to and figured this would be a good size to start.
I'd like some advice on what products would be good choices to buy but not break the bank. I'd also like some advice on stocking. I read online that in a 55 you can only have 2 or 3 fish. If true I feel a little disappointed about that. I was told I could have more than that but I would absolutely have to have a sump system and my tank is not cut for one (I was told apparently it has to be?)

I really want to make this happen and any advice is so appreciated
Welcome.

First thing I suppose is to decide what *type* of saltwater tank.

Are you just going to keep fish, or are you planning on also keeping corals like in a reef.

A fish only tank is much simpler, as you just need appropriate rock (rock does most of the biological filtration), and some type of mechanical/chemical filter like a hang on back filter (Seachem Tidal was mentioned above).

In terms of fish, there are fish that are appropriate for a 55 gal, and some that are not. For example you can keep Clownfish (Nemo) easily, but should steer away from Tangs (Dory :).

The equipment you will need varies depending on the type of tank (Fish only or reef).
Reef tanks get expensive fast in terms of filtration, water flow, test kits, and especially lighting.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 55g is tall and skinny which is a pain for saltwater, I would personally return it for the 75g.

That being said, you can have more then 2-3 fish of appropriate sizes. I would probably aim for 6-8 but I am talking things like occy clowns, gramma, gobies, a pygmy angel can work, etc. Not large fish.

How many you have really depends on territory they hang out in and aggression.

Petco uses random glass so you have to be sure it isn't tempered before drilling it with polarized sunglasses. No you do not need a sump. You can use a HOB filter and HOB skimmer.

SaltyinTennessee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make equipment that hangs on the back of the tank so you don’t have to have a sump. The sump is just an out of sight place for equipment that keeps the tank looking sleek without the eye sore of staring at the equipment in the tank.
Next you will need to decide what style of tank you want. Will it be live rock and only fish, do you want corals etc. If you decide on corals they will be more sensitive to water chemistry and need stronger more controllable lighting and flow. If it will be fish only it is more forgiving. As far as stocking you can put more small fish or fewer larger fish.... all that to say it depends. Another thing to think about is that a fish like a puffer pollutes the water way more than say a few chromis. One thing is for sure, if you get the bug like most soon you will be adding more tanks or thinking of bigger ones. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
S

Samantha1801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of staying on the smaller side of fish. I for sure wanted a pair of clown fish and a few smaller ones like gamma or goby. I definitely wasn't looking at anything real big. Plus to me the smaller fish are more entertaining. I've also heard a few small shrimp would be a good idea to help clean up and what not. I don't plan to do corals as of now. I think just starting with fish and getting the hang of just that would be better than spending money on corals and risk screwing that up.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of staying on the smaller side of fish. I for sure wanted a pair of clown fish and a few smaller ones like gamma or goby. I definitely wasn't looking at anything real big. Plus to me the smaller fish are more entertaining. I've also heard a few small shrimp would be a good idea to help clean up and what not. I don't plan to do corals as of now. I think just starting with fish and getting the hang of just that would be better than spending money on corals and risk screwing that up.

Ok, a 55g is less annoying for a FOWLR. It is just hard to scape and reach the corals or deal with pests with the dimensions of a 55.

Since it is so tall, maybe a pair bangaii cardinals or pajamas cardinals too as they tend to hang up higher. There are a lot of options with fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend shrimp gobies, they pair with certain pistol shrimp and it is really fun to watch them move sand around.

OP
OP
S

Samantha1801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds grreat! Have you kept freshwater b4? Saltwater is gr8 and other hobbyists are always rly supportive. Instead of drilling u can use an overflow box.
Yes I've done freshwater on and off for about 10 years. Started when I was younger with my dad then went a few years as an adult without a tank before starting my 40 gallon I have now with a pair of rams

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea to keep it simple to start - you can always upgrade later.

Water source:

You can either buy Seawater or premixed artificial sea water from your LFS, or mix your own.
Mixing your own requires a source of RODI water, so you would need a water filter. Avoid the temptation to use tap water with water conditioner - my experience is that never ends well. You buy buckets of dry salt mix - any will do.

Rockwork:

There are two type of rock:
Live rock collected from the ocean which has a lot of biological diversity; or
Dead rock that you seed with bottled bacteria.
Both work well given enough time to stabilise.

Other stuff:

Heater and Thermometer, HOB filter, ATO to top up evaporated water, and lights. Salinity measuring device.

That would get you started

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon that is just a little taller than yours! Same dimensions otherwise. I drilled out the back with diamond hole saws and plumbed it for a sump. It’s not as scary as it sounds if you watch some videos!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Samantha, I have 8 fish in my 60 gallon with no issues. Planning on maybe another one or two even. So as long as they all have a spot to call home(lots of rockwork helps) it should be ok.
‘My present list of fish is~
2 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Yellowtail Damsels that have split the tank in half for territory
Splendid Dottyback
2 Bangaii Cardinals
Orange Spot Blenny
Also if you are going to have corals that’ll be a factor as to what types of fish as well, obviously.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 on exchange it for a 75 48x18x21 55 48x13x20 that 6" makes quite a differance for scaping

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on exchange it for a 75 48x18x21 55 48x13x20 that 6" makes quite a differance for scaping
+2 I returned my first 55 and upgraded. Soooo much more room for the rockwork. Went with a 65 gallon. It's a little tall but so far I love it. I'm already itching for a 120 lol...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back