55 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m new to this hobby and I am trying to set up a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I’m planning a sump with a section for a protein skimmer and a section for a refugium. Does anyone have any recommendations for a protein skimmer/ pump? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so there is always the nicer more expensive reef octopus, there are also cheaperish bubble magus or aquamax. and you can find like a hydor pump for the return and a jebao doser. the ato you can always find cheap on amazon. the chateo just get at a lfs and you can find a like fuge ray for cheap as a refugium light or you can go with a cheap light on amazon as always. just make sure you do your research on the things that are cheaper because i have had success with cheap things off brand but some have failed.

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Also, how do I go about choosing the right size equipment? Do I chose the protein skimmer first and then size everything else based on that? Or is it based on the size of the tank?

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you can do like any sized skimmer because it just takes water and spits it out, it just has to fit in your tank/sump. your overflow is what you should base your return pump size on and then your protein skimmer should really just in my opinion be rated 75 gallons or more.

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw i forgot to say welcome to reef2reef!
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many options for both pump and skimmer online. It is also going to matter if you want to run an external or recirculating skimmer (these are usually harder to set up but can be more efficient, but in no way necessary). Internal skimmer is what i am guessing you are asking about, many options out there Eshopps x120, aquamaxx fc80, reef octopus int 110, etc.
I always recommend a really oversized dc pump for return because you can turn the pump to 50% and it sounds much quiter than either ac or dc at 100%

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump itself, just diy a 20 gallon and you will be set. I used fijicube as a template for my sump. the acrylic, silicone, and tank cost around $100 to make it. depending on what you can get the acylic pieces for

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know how many fish ? or what fish you have in mind? don't worry if you are trying to put a "bigger" fish in a 75 i wont come after you like some crazys

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't forget to test the sump:
1) no flood power out.
2) power return=normal operation
3) drain failure (blockage, syphon loss) no sump flood.

I forgot to test 3 LOL

Also I would skip the skimmer and make the refugium with macro algae as large as possible.

my .02

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't forget to test the sump:
1) no flood power out.
2) power return=normal operation
3) drain failure (blockage, syphon loss) no sump flood.<<<<<<<

I forgot to test 3 LOL

Also I would skip the skimmer and make the refugium with macro algae as large as possible.

my .02
the sump should run dry before the display floods.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back