550G Display + Fish Room Frag Tanks = 900G of Fun

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 1000%, I could have saved at least $500 going with white over the colors, but that is the best part, I don't want to see cheap looking white plumbing, I want to see the art work! It is only money right, we can always make more lol. That is what I keep telling myself anyways!
The white Home Depot plumbing wasn’t an issue and frankly colored wasn’t even a consideration when I first started. But as I plan my “dream” build, everything matters. The fine details are a big part of that “dream”

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The white Home Depot plumbing wasn’t an issue and frankly colored wasn’t even a consideration when I first started. But as I plan my “dream” build, everything matters. The fine details are a big part of that “dream”
My wife works in the high-end wedding industry. I have been schooled many times on how EVERY detail matters! She thinks I'm a slow learner!

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife works in the high-end wedding industry. I have been schooled many times on how EVERY detail matters! She thinks I'm a slow learner!

That would scare me. Haha Thankfully mine wanted a basic, outdoor wedding. The fanciest decoration there was the pack of dogs.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t believe what people spend crazy amounts of money on - makes reefing look like a bargain hobby!

I officiate weddings so I’ve seen a couple insane ones. At least what I consider to be. I’m sure you’ve seen worse. I’m thankful my wife wanted to save the money for trips south in the winter.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Work crushed me for 3 weeks and now I’m back and ready to get this plumbing party started!

more unions and fittings on the way from Supplyhouse.com and colored pipe from aquariumspecialty.com

The plan is to have two separate Varios-8 pumps each feeding a different side of the tank.

Pump 1: Left display return + frag tank and 40G fuge
Pump 2: Right display return + UV sterilizers and manifold

70FDEF39-E995-4943-9139-7EBE1F3B9405.jpeg

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work crushed me for 3 weeks and now I’m back and ready to get this plumbing party started!

more unions and fittings on the way from Supplyhouse.com and colored pipe from aquariumspecialty.com

The plan is to have two separate Varios-8 pumps each feeding a different side of the tank.

Pump 1: Left display return + frag tank and 40G fuge
Pump 2: Right display return + UV sterilizers and manifold

70FDEF39-E995-4943-9139-7EBE1F3B9405.jpeg
Love your space!!

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of interoperability. Plumb things so it is easy to replace / swap or whatever. Having a bunch of well placed unions on my last mixing station let me reconfigure it to drain it neatly. Can’t wait to see the finished product! Wish I had two return pumps - too much plumbing given my layout.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plumbing weekend -- again!

Pump 1 which has the frag tank, refugium tank, and the longest piping run to the display is all set. No leaks!
Pump 2 (which is the top blue horizontal piping that flows to the near side of the display tank didn't get glued and I need to rethink my tee fitting, but it's close.

For Pump 2 I need some help thinking through pressure logic. I've had a LOT of glue fumes today! ;Wacky

I want to have water from this return pump run through the 120w UV sterilizer and then to the tank. The target flow is no more than 600GPH, to kill parasites. My Reef Octopus Varios-8 pump has a 2700GPH max, and the UV is 7 feet in the air, which cuts it to 1500GPH max. Pipe is 1.5" aside from the end nozzle which is 1".

My flow pressure question is this: given that there is another foot of height, then 15 feet of horizontal plumbing, a few right angle turns and unions, and then out a 1" random flow nozzle -- what do you think my actual Flow Rate will be?

IMG_0934.JPG

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing weekend -- again!

Pump 1 which has the frag tank, refugium tank, and the longest piping run to the display is all set. No leaks!
Pump 2 (which is the top blue horizontal piping that flows to the near side of the display tank didn't get glued and I need to rethink my tee fitting, but it's close.

For Pump 2 I need some help thinking through pressure logic. I've had a LOT of glue fumes today! ;Wacky

I want to have water from this return pump run through the 120w UV sterilizer and then to the tank. The target flow is no more than 600GPH, to kill parasites. My Reef Octopus Varios-8 pump has a 2700GPH max, and the UV is 7 feet in the air, which cuts it to 1500GPH max. Pipe is 1.5" aside from the end nozzle which is 1".

My flow pressure question is this: given that there is another foot of height, then 15 feet of horizontal plumbing, a few right angle turns and unions, and then out a 1" random flow nozzle -- what do you think my actual Flow Rate will be?

IMG_0934.JPG
Frankly, I’d bet it’s somewhere around 600gph. These pumps don’t do well with pressure, and you have a good bit of head pressure.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Frankly, I’d bet it’s somewhere around 600gph. These pumps don’t do well with pressure, and you have a good bit of head pressure.
Dumb question which I think I know the answer to: is the flow rate constant throughout the piping run? As in, it’s (example) 800GPH right out of the pump and then exactly that amount coming out into the tank?

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question which I think I know the answer to: is the flow rate constant throughout the piping run? As in, it’s (example) 800GPH right out of the pump and then exactly that amount coming out into the tank?

If that is the only outlet, then yes.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got it, thanks! I was going to put a flow meter before or after the UV, and I was overthinking how close it needed to be to the UV to measure correctly

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Every inch of height, every union, every turn causes a slight drop in gallons per hour. RC has or had a calculator for head pressure loss.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. I have enjoyed reading this all morning. And I am glad I like my PVC white. I do clean off all the printing and use clear glue. I want it clean and tidy.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So when people say you should replace the bulb every year in your UV sterilizer -- there is more reason than just the bulb getting dimmer -- the casing may have salt buildup that keeps the light from being effective!

I could have easily avoided this by taking out the sleeve and wiping it down once or twice a year!

IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0968.JPG

Back