550G Display + Fish Room Frag Tanks = 900G of Fun

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts and opinions needed! I was planning on having a 1" or 3/4" bulkhead on the side, and toward the top of the return section (placement doesn't really matter) -- for overflow protection, in case my display back-siphons a few extra gallons. I would plumb this directly into a floor drain, with a flow sensor that would send an alert if water ever started going through that pipe.

In terms of sizing -- what is the smallest bulkhead size I could get away with? We aren't talking about pressurized backflow, just a slow steady rise, spread across the entire sump area (not just the return). If the water level rose too high, would a 1/2" bulkhead cut it? 3/4"? 1"?

By my calculations, a 1/2" or 3/4" bulkhead would actually do it, but I wanted to ask the brain trust here. Thanks!
Depends how fast the water is coming down from the display I suppose.
What would the advantage of 1/2 be over 3/4 though?

All looks great BTW.

Tony

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You're right, bigger is probably better for an emergency overflow drain out of the sump -- I was just trying to keep the size to the smallest possible for visual reasons. It will be on the side so I won't really even see it, aside from the plumbing that goes to a floor drain. I plan to attach a flow meter to the emergency tubing to talk to my Apex if water ever goes down that tubing!

Advanced Acrylics, based out of Anaheim, CA - has been amazing to work with so far. The shell is all PVC, which I love, with supporting internals made from acrylic. This is my final drawing -- lots and lots of holes in the top PVC for dosing and supporting equipment!

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 8.59.31 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great layout ! Wish I had this room for my big Boy. eats my living room but enjoyable to watch

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are the builds I love to see especially when it involves big tanks ! Just got done with my build several weeks ago. Hope it goes as smooth as mine did. I had the Best help !!

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anyone have experience building a light rack/tray on rollers?

I was thinking of doing two separate 4-5ft trays (so I can keep light in the tank while rolling back one tray into the fish room) and I thought that getting four of these 72" pocket door hardware kits would do the trick.

Any thoughts or good examples of how to build one?

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can walk right up to the tank from the "house" side, which has a basement beneath, but on the tank and fish room side, it's a slab. 16x16' room for filtration fun.

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t checked your whole thread but I noticed you are looking into a rollback lighting rack. I’ll check some old files and see if I can find what I did a number of systems ago. I went to a farm supply store (Fleet Farm in my area) and purchased barn door rails and rollers. Set all ballasts or power supplies on a plywood top and hung lights below. Worked well as long as you have room to move out of the way for maintenance on the tank. I’ll post pictures once I find them. Love these build threads like yours!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prime example of planning rather than Planting a tank. Looks fantastic. Love the drawings.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No good construction project is complete without some messed up measurements! When I framed the opening for the tank and stand, I forgot to include the fact there there would be 1/2" drywall. That means from side to side, I'm a full inch too small! o_O

So...I moved my three electrical boxes in, and got some FRP board from Home Depot. It's rigid but flimsy, and it's good for a wet environment and only 1/16 thick. I'm pretty sure I have an extra 1/8" to play with.

When the stand is moved into place, it will all flatten out and look a little more legit. I fully acknowledge this looks terrible right now!

I protected the new polyurea floor from my painters who spray paint everywhere... Next weekend everything should be painted and I can start hanging the light rails.

IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back