OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The new tank has arrived! It took 90 minutes to get it off the truck (8 foot lift gate...10 foot tank) and my driveway is still gravel, so that made it an extra special challenge. But, it's in the garage now!

IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0245.JPG

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If anyone is in the MD/VA/DC area -- I'm trying to do a tank lifting party next Saturday at 11:00am before the local club meeting. We have suction cups to make this easier too.

If you can lend a hand, please let me know!

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank has arrived! It took 90 minutes to get it off the truck (8 foot lift gate...10 foot tank) and my driveway is still gravel, so that made it an extra special challenge. But, it's in the garage now!

IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0245.JPG

I had four movers get my tank off of the truck but my 600g is acrylic so it’s quite a bit lighter than glass, which made it easier.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife really wanted to get a video of the whole move from the garage, around the side of the house, and onto the stand, but it kind of happened organically and she wasn't around. A bunch of guys doing tree planting at my house looked like they needed a real challenge. With suction cups rented form my local reefing club, 8 of us muscled it around and into place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There was one small bit of surgery on my wall that was required. The opening was 1/2" too small so the guys held it in place, and I got out the reciprocating saw and made a very rough cut.

Edit: the tank was sitting a foot further out so I was NOT sawing with the glass next to the blade! I do still want get the middle part of the 1/2" drywall removed without damaging the tank now in place ;Nailbiting

IMG_0272.JPG

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks absolutely awesome! I'm totally jealous!

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Disaster :mad:

The holes in the tank were not drilled properly. The Right hole is short horizontally by 1/8" (just over 3mm) and the Left hole, while being perfectly drilled horizontally off of the Middle hole, is too high by 1/8".

I tried fitting my overflow in last night and it wouldn't fit, even with a little pressure. I thought to myself, "Oh crap, the overflow fittings are off. Let me reverse the bulkheads and fit it on the outside of the tank to confirm."

I reversed the bulkheads and mounted the overflow on the outside of the tank, and the same
hole did not fit. If the overflow was the problem, the opposite hole wouldn't have fit in the reversed configuration.

So, the holes aren't evenly spaced? How is that possible? Custom Aquariums measures down to the MM. I got out my tape measure and eyeballed the Right hole being short by 1/8". That isn't scientific enough to write an email to them, so I carefully positioned a drywall saw in the middle of the Middle bulkhead, and used a laser measure tool from both ends of the Left and Right holes to the middle. Confirmed, of by 2/16ths, or 1/8".

Adding insult to injury, I checked the height of all three holes, and the left hole was 1/8" too high. what the heck! You can almost visually make it out with the naked eye.

This thing weighs a ton and it took several crews of people to unload it from the truck, move it from garage into my house, and then do a final position on the stand. I have no idea how this is going to play out, but I do have a request for a phone call with Custom Aquariums on Monday morning.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pics:
1. Back of the tank shot, with some extra carpet in the bottom of the tank (safety first!) -- overflow didn't fit in bulkheads (which I removed before taking the shot)
2. Reversed bulkheads and overflow still didn't fit, and Right hole was still the issue (absolves overflow from fault)
3-4. Measurements from Right hole to Center, and then Left Hole to Center, using laser :mad:
5-6. Height difference in holes :mad:

IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0292.jpg IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0294.JPG IMG_0295.JPG

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you ‘modify’ the overflow?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man! That's awful! Hopefully they fix you up. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Question about auto-topoff containers: in the norwesco line, there are regular horizontal storage tanks and then PCO tanks.

the regular ones say they can be used for potable water, and I don’t see the same tag line for the PCO tanks. I’m not really sure if that matters.

Any thoughts on safety? The PCO tank is a better size/shape for my needs.

1. Regular tank
2. PCO tank

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back