OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am storing my ATO underneath the tank, likely on the left of three openings, and I was wondering what you guys thought I should store in the other 2/3 or the space.

1. Would a hospital tank be a bad idea? Copper would sometimes be necessary but it couldn’t spill “up” into the display.

2. I originally planned to put an enormous UV sterilizer on the top of my shelving, but I could potentially run tubing to store it horizontally under the tank. That wouldnt be a great use of space, but it would work.

3. Other ideas? I’m leaning toward things that can remain blocked much of the time, as I may need to have a step/bench in place to access the tank

8A225232-41ED-4542-AAD5-E3D1D83E4A8F.jpeg

Last edited:

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, bigger is probably better for an emergency overflow drain out of the sump -- I was just trying to keep the size to the smallest possible for visual reasons. It will be on the side so I won't really even see it, aside from the plumbing that goes to a floor drain. I plan to attach a flow meter to the emergency tubing to talk to my Apex if water ever goes down that tubing!

Advanced Acrylics, based out of Anaheim, CA - has been amazing to work with so far. The shell is all PVC, which I love, with supporting internals made from acrylic. This is my final drawing -- lots and lots of holes in the top PVC for dosing and supporting equipment!

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 8.59.31 PM.png
Do you see any advantage from using PVC instead of all acrylic for the sump, or is it just nicer looking?

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so what happened to the tank and overflow?

I worked it out with Custom Aquariums, and that’s all I’ll elaborate on. Things happen, but they have been a fantastic partner in this adventure. Would I order a tank from them again? Absolutely.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Working on light racks right now. I went with 72” pocket door sliding channels from Home Depot. 36 width tank, and then I can slide lights out 36” for bulb changes etc.

AquaticLife Hybrid T5/LED fixtures
Blue Blue and Coral Plus T5 bulbs
5 Kessil A360x lights

F97F7B9D-289E-4D82-84E2-2A1B0D75E864.jpeg

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Glad you got the overflow resolved! About to start my project so this thread has been helpful. You could easily store salt under the tank, and or put drawers for storage.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
RODI system is up and running! I went with an 8-stage system -- essentially taking a standard BRS 7-Stage model that uses Anion and Cation resin, and then instead of a single Mixed Bed resin to finish it off, I had an extra canister from when I was running dual Mixed beds, so I threw that in there too.

Stage 1 - GE ROSave.Z 1 Micron Depth Sediment Filter
Stage 2 - BRS 1 Micron Universal Carbon Block
Stage 3 - BRS 1 Micron Universal Carbon Block
Stage 4 - Dow Filmtec Reverse Osmosis Membrane
Stage 5 -
Pro Series Cation Deionization Resin
Stage 6 - Pro Series Anion Deionization Resin
Stage 7 - Pro Mixed Bed Cation Deionization Resin
Stage 8 - Pro Mixed Bed Cation Deionization Resin

Filtration is far cheaper than correcting water quality issues later on!

IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0538.JPG

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Holy smokes! I was completely caught off guard by the sheer size of the Reef Octopus 300INT skimmer -- this thing is a beast! It's really hard to judge the size/scale, but I put a standard size Dewalt driver next to it. I definitely need to start a fish stocking list!

IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0550.JPG

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need advice on a noisy sump:

The sock chamber (yes I want to use socks) is significantly higher than the water height for the skimmer so the water crashes down into the socks and makes a racket.

I put filter floss across the top, and even jammed some into the socks, but I’m trying to get it even quieter.

What solutions have you used to silence water dropping down?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The sock chamber (yes I want to use socks) is significantly higher than the water height for the skimmer so the water crashes down into the socks and makes a racket.

I put filter floss across the top, and even jammed some into the socks, but I’m trying to get it even quieter.

I found it helps to cut the plastic handles off the rings. Water then sheets down the fabric instead of dripping off the handle.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could add a baffle/panel to raise the water level in your sock chamber. You would have an additional chamber to clean from time to time but it would be quiet.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good ideas - thanks guys! I cut the rings off already and the drop is still too long.

I hadn’t thought about adding a baffle. The water typically exits below the sock so full baffle would force it another direction.

I’ll take some pics - i should have done from the start.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plumbing is taking forever. I have fish and coral struggling to survive at my old place that I just moved out of, and I’ve been spending every waking moment trying to get the new environment set up properly.

The 4x trips to Home Depot in a day on most of my house projects have been replaced by ordering three critical $1.39 fittings from BulkreefSupply, and then waiting a week to figure out what else I forgot to order. Rinse and repeat!

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is taking forever. I have fish and coral struggling to survive at my old place that I just moved out of, and I’ve been spending every waking moment trying to get the new environment set up properly.

The 4x trips to Home Depot in a day on most of my house projects have been replaced by ordering three critical $1.39 fittings from BulkreefSupply, and then waiting a week to figure out what else I forgot to order. Rinse and repeat!

Doesn't that drive you crazy, I know that feeling very well about the survival footing hokding everything up!

Also have you tried making your pipe go deeper into your sump on your drain line? I can't tell how deep they go. Great build by the way, I love the fish room.

Sorry I miss read about the water splashing going into the skimmer section. Are you able to raise the water level if you raise the skimmer, I know that thing is massive!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back