550G Display + Fish Room Frag Tanks = 900G of Fun

TylerC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need to go on strike for Neptune jerks need to make reagents great build bro my tank is the same dimensions

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s making me pretty mad that I can’t choose to test only one thing. My full bottle of Reagent A is useless because Reagents B and C are too low. Throwing out a completely new Reagent A bottle seems nuts.

I’m tempted to add RODI water to the empty B and C bottles so the Trident has something to “test.”

What do you guys think could go wrong with that plan?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s making me pretty mad that I can’t choose to test only one thing. My full bottle of Reagent A is useless because Reagents B and C are too low. Throwing out a completely new Reagent A bottle seems nuts.

I’m tempted to add RODI water to the empty B and C bottles so the Trident has something to “test.”

What do you guys think could go wrong with that plan?
You have nothing to lose.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't do it on my Trident. Once you put in new/fresh reagents, how much will you have to use to flush out the RODI that's been in tubes/sensors/? I'd hate to use the calibration solution with the last trace of RODI still lingering. When it eventually gets flushed out and then calibration shifts and would be off.

I like what Trident does. In my case, it's been stable and reliable. I'd like to keep it stable and reliable - thus I'm not messing with it.

Just my view.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I decided to just keep the extra Reagent A on hand and refill the others so I'm starting fresh with three bottles. Hopefully Neptune starts producing more reagent so we can all buy it...

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New fish are ordered!

• 5 Yellow Tangs
  • Desjardini Sailfin Tang
  • Unicorn Tang
  • Flame Angel
  • Diamond Goby
Time to get serious about QT and pre-treatments! What's in your medicine cabinet?

IMG_1250.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jesus Christ. mad scientist laboratory?

In some ways, running a successful QT tank can be more challenging than a display, but I need to get the methodology right if I’m going to stock this tank with a ton of tangs.

I’ve done the “dump and pray” method for too many years!

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  • Display Tank: standard bean-animal out
  • Refugium tank and Frag tank: I used to merge (through a tee) the two 1" drains into a 1.5" drain, but that caused issues with trapped air. It was a pretty design, but not the best for functionality. Each of those two drains is now plumbed with flexible tubing and rigid PVC - utilizing 1" drains and 1" emergency overflow drains for each tank. Both now drain into the "return" side of the sump, which means it won't go through the socks/skimmer, but the plumbing is a heck of a lot easier.
  • The red pipe with valve pointing toward the floor drain is for water changes. It gravity feeds from the Fuge tank and will let me change water at a 1" gravity rate (or less). I saw no reason to plumb a pump to get water out of the tank
  • Return lines (two of them) are plumbed using 1.5" PVC throughout. One return feeds the Fuge/frag tanks, and the other goes through a Lifegard Aquatics 120W UV sterilizer. Long-term plan is to get another one so everything that goes into the display tank gets zapped.

IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1362.JPG

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are your returns 3/4 or 1

your running 2 1.5 pressure lines to display?

Yep, by the time they make it up 6 feet of vertical, and then over either 8 feet or 21 feet (depending on the left or right nozzle) there is enough loss that having 1.5" piping made sense. I could probably have gone with 1" for the returns, but I was buying so many 1.5" plumbing fittings that it was just easier to stick with one size. Plus, I found a heck of a deal on 1.5" ball valve unions ($14/each) that are silky smooth, and not available in other sizes.

Both return pipes aren't running at full tilt. One Reef Octopus Varios 8 pump runs at 3/5 speed, and then other runs at 2/5 speed but routes through the UV sterilizer. I need to keep that return line at a specific flow rate to zap all the nasties. The other return (not through the UV) is so that I get enough turnover in the overall system.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Actually, the two returns to the display terminate the last 10-12 inches as a 1" pipe. The 1.5" beforehand just keeps the water flow loose :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back