OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a strange question, I always see people posting builds using colorful PVC. Where can you buy this kind of PVC. My local stores only sell white. :confused:

I get mine from either BRS or Aquarium Specialty. They're all made by Formufit, which I believe you can order directly from.

So, I just opened the boxes that my red PVC came in and they sent me the wrong size... I don't have time to wait another month for the piping to arrive, so I'll be painting or vinyl wrapping the ones I just cut last night.

OP
OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the very near finished product, I feel that it turned out fairly decent considering the setback on the PVC.

I didn't get around to the trim, by the piping is nearly completed, I'll just need to get the last legs of the drain pipes and the Herbie standpipes finished up then I can do a water test on the system. I haven't decided what I want to do for the returns inside the tank yet, so I might just flair some 1" PVC for the meantime and call it good. I also need to put some ball valves onto the manifold that I'd made off of the pump return. These will be used for a phosban and possibly carbon.
IMG_20200215_061324.jpg

I'm also planning to do a remote refugium plumbed in where the unions are on the end of the sump, I just haven't decided where I want to put it in the room yet.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thi
Unfortunately I'd ended up losing some of my progress pictures due to having to reset my phone. But a lot had gotten done over the past while.

IMG_20200112_082601.jpg

The theater room side of the reef tank is nearly completed, all that needs to be done is a few small bits of trim and touch up painting.

The tank has also been put up onto the stand and trimmed.

IMG_20200203_081621.jpg

With the tank installed, I could then get working on the "fish room" behind the tank. This will house all of the equipment, the sump, water storage, RODI system, and a desk.

IMG_20200210_071329.jpg

IMG_20200210_071435.jpg

At this point, I am currently working on the flooring and trim in the fish room. I will be hopefully getting the tank plumbed and ready for water by the end of the weekend.
This is awesome!

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice theater and tank.

I have a 120 inch ambient light rejecting screen with my UST projector and I also have a 120 gallon reef tank. However, I would never want to have a tank on the side wall near the tank. The reflection from the glass of the tank would cause some distraction. Also the changing of the lighting and sound from the movie can spook the fish.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How powerful is your theater? I am an electrical contractor/home automation guy. We did a custom home for someone who had a 700 gallon tank in his theater. The concussion from explosions was so intense that it stress the fish and corals. You could watch the water dance on the surface of the tank and see the corals close and open with every hit.
I have a strange question, I always see people posting builds using colorful PVC. Where can you buy this kind of PVC. My local stores only sell white. :confused:
Bulk reef supply

OP
OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thi

This is awesome!

Thanks!

Nice theater and tank.

I have a 120 inch ambient light rejecting screen with my UST projector and I also have a 120 gallon reef tank. However, I would never want to have a tank on the side wall near the tank. The reflection from the glass of the tank would cause some distraction. Also the changing of the lighting and sound from the movie can spook the fish.

The lighting doesn't really bother me all too much, I have tested the lighting and it doesn't bleed too much into the screen to wash it out.

Though I am using a 1,200 watt 15" Velodyne sub, and powered towers with dual 8" subs in each, I'm going to go conservatively on the system to gauge the comfort of the inhabitants of the tank. In my previous theater rooms with the 80 gallon I had prior, it never did seem to bother them.

This tank is constructed with 1" acrylic and is very much overkill for its size, so hopefully it will reduce the reverberations to the water.

Wow! I can’t wait to see how this tank turns out.

Thanks! So far it's turning out nicely!

How powerful is your theater? I am an electrical contractor/home automation guy. We did a custom home for someone who had a 700 gallon tank in his theater. The concussion from explosions was so intense that it stress the fish and corals. You could watch the water dance on the surface of the tank and see the corals close and open with every hit.

Bulk reef supply

My system is an 11.1. I'm using powered from channels with dual 8" subs in both and a 1,200 watt 15" Velodyne sub. In my previous theater room with my 80 gallon tank, it didn't really seem to bother them. I never lost a fish and the coral growth was hard to keep up with.

But at that, I'll be keeping it conservative and gauge the comfort of the tanks inhabitants through volume levels.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably be ok with that. This guy had a full blown 1.2 million dollar theater. Was all Meridian speakers. Dual sub-cabinets under the stage that housed 2 15" subs with over 3000 watts per cabinet. When we were testing db in the room and tuning it to go as loud as it could cleanly, we were somewhere in the 165 db range. I had to leave the room when we broke 150 db because I felt like I was going to have my chest caved in.

OP
OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pictures. Trying to find the one with the tank.

20191001_123547.jpg 20191001_123516.jpg 20190926_152052.jpg 20190926_152010.jpg 20190926_151959.jpg

That's one heck of a theater room, mines more on the standard consumer level lol. I'll do a 360° shoot of both the theater and the fish room when I'm 100% completed everything.

I couldn't imagine 165db in a home theater. I have an SPL system in my truck with two Kicker Solo X 18's, I'd hit 169db with them on them with 21,000 watts and even that was sickening haha.

OP
OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started filling the tank today. It's been 12 hours and I have 3" of water!

Unfortunately my reservoirs have been delayed in delivery, so I didn't get a head start on making some water.

I'm going to see if I can borrow a couple of Ro systems from some friends to speed up the process.

IMG_20200216_200314.jpg

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it'll be okay. I'll hang the lights today and see how it looks.

Worst case scenario, I'll throw up some nice looking curtains in the meantime.

That's an option, but I'd have to formulate some way of doing it while making it look good lol.

I'd ha e to clear it whit the wife haha.
Jordan, I have used Bali blinds that’s smart blinds and works with Samsung smart home hub and since I have a window in my foyer that sun just shines bright for a few hours I just have setup the blind to open and close during those hours as I know direct sunlight is not good. Just my two cents.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was confused as I was thinking actual movie theater. How cool this is and what a layout!! Money talks for sure. Add a bar snd .... YOURE GOING TO ACQUIRE A LOT OF NEW FRIENDS !!
Im keeping an eye on this thread !!

OP
OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jordan, I have used Bali blinds that’s smart blinds and works with Samsung smart home hub and since I have a window in my foyer that sun just shines bright for a few hours I just have setup the blind to open and close during those hours as I know direct sunlight is not good. Just my two cents.

I'll have to look into those, that sounds like the kind of solution I've been considering. I wonder if I'd be able to control it via my Apex?
I was confused as I was thinking actual movie theater. How cool this is and what a layout!! Money talks for sure. Add a bar snd .... YOURE GOING TO ACQUIRE A LOT OF NEW FRIENDS !!
Im keeping an eye on this thread !!

Thanks! It's been an interesting project for sure, I didn't anticipate how long it would take me to get it all completed, but I'm more than satisfied with the outcome! Unfortunately I used up all of my valuable realestate, but I do have a ledge on the side of the theater with a small collection of scotch and rum!

OP
OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say using the word some is a understatement lol Looks awesome ,,, but the part you lost is the part I wanted to see :(

I was pretty bummed to have lost them, maybe I'll find them one of these days on Dropbox or something lol.

For Canadians looking for coloured PVC, these guys out of Lethbridge sell it.

I'd looked into them when I'd first started my planning, but they only had up to 1.5" diameter PVC available.

I've been referring everyone local that seeks colored PVC to them though.

OP
OP
Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the past little while, I've been told multiple times that the open backed stand with no center brace, that I built "absolutely will not" support my tank... I feel that it should be more than adequate for the job, but I figured I'll ask around here for some more opinions.

The front of the stand is build out of dimensional 2x4's, 96" long with 7 vertical supports done in a typical framing fashion. The sides are the same however only two supports on either ends of them and a diagonal brace added to each and they're secured to the walls of the house.

Now, the back that everyone seems to think is going to fail... It is built with 2x 2x6's spanning about 90" with 1x 2x4 on either end to catch them both. Then, on the outside of those, I have one 2x8, both glued and screwed to the framing of the 2x6's with 2x8 uprights supporting it, also glued and screwed to the 2x4 uprights.

The tank doesn't sit directly on the 2x8, however with the use of glue and several screws, I believe that it is contributing greatly to the support of the tank.

The top of the tank is skinned with a 3/4" sheet of plywood and is thoroughly screwed down.

I've also four joists that run from the front to the back of the stand, the two centermost are done with a flat 2x4 on top and a vertical one beneath. The outermost are single verticals.

Now, I also believe that the tank itself is way over constructed for its size, the bottom sheet of acrylic is made with 3/4" and the remainder of the tank is made with 1" acrylic. The entire tank also has a 1" cleat at every seam, with the exception of the top bracing.

If someone with some engineering background could chime in on this and let me know if there really is any inherent risk, I would greatly appreciate it!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back