OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank seams and panel edges that I’ve been able to route, sand and polish are looking good, I’m pretty happy with them for the minimal amount of polishing time I had to do.

I was able to pour filets in three of the four bottom seams today, hoping to get the last one tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also picked up these guys. I’ve got both of them eating from my hand. They’re barely able to see and very gentle.

BB8F6FAD-1AB8-408A-A277-9694DBDAA5C0.jpeg

44FE5EFF-B051-4C4D-93CA-E68339F4D58B.jpeg

F2D78404-DE66-4485-8B38-8906E943B0A8.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after talking with a friend I’ve decided to do away with the overflows in the center and make the tank a peninsula instead of an island. Still figuring out flow but I don’t think I’ll have too much trouble.

In the meantime I scored these guys today!

ED16408A-682B-46AD-A4A6-6B6F3CD9CAFB.jpeg

9E8403B1-FDDA-419B-B2E8-17B79987808E.jpeg

Last edited:

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build. I built my own 560 gallon 10ft so I know what goes into making these. What you mean when you say you poured fillets into the corners?

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do the volume calculation for the tank?
With the given measurements I got 638 gallons.
Even subtracting the 1" thick acrylic from the measurement I get 580 gallons?
Are you accounting for the overflows too?
I know you stated 560 gallons, Figured it was worth bringing it up cause having a good estimate of your water volume makes dosing and buying/tuning equipment easier.

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build. I built my own 560 gallon 10ft so I know what goes into making these. What you mean when you say you poured fillets into the corners?

So for fillets I tipped the tank 45 degrees and poured two part epoxy into each of the seams. It’s not a necessary step but it does make for a stronger seam. Most tanks used to be built this way, now it’s just faster and cheaper to solvent weld all the joints and they last for 10-15 years this way before seams start to become a concern ime.

If you don’t mind me asking how are you managing your flow? I’m not coming up with much that can generate flow at the far end of an 8’ tank without putting ph on the viewing panels.

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do the volume calculation for the tank?
With the given measurements I got 638 gallons.
Even subtracting the 1" thick acrylic from the measurement I get 580 gallons?
Are you accounting for the overflows too?
I know you stated 560 gallons, Figured it was worth bringing it up cause having a good estimate of your water volume makes dosing and buying/tuning equipment easier.

Actually a very good point. I just used the tank volume calculator found aon another site. Interior dimensions are 94x46x30 which comes up as 560 gallons. Any chance you just removed 1” for each dimension instead of 2? Each panel is 1” and each dimension includes 2 panels. In any case you bring up a good point and I’ll do the actual math later to see what I come up with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy big. Where is it going have you got a picture of the intended site?

Sorry not yet. My house was built in the 70’s and the tank is going in a walkout basement. The room the tank is going into is 14x40 and the tank will divide the room in half.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for fillets I tipped the tank 45 degrees and poured two part epoxy into each of the seams. It’s not a necessary step but it does make for a stronger seam. Most tanks used to be built this way, now it’s just faster and cheaper to solvent weld all the joints and they last for 10-15 years this way before seams start to become a concern ime.

If you don’t mind me asking how are you managing your flow? I’m not coming up with much that can generate flow at the far end of an 8’ tank without putting ph on the viewing panels.
Ya. I welded my seams. Never heard of your method before. My tank has been a beast to filter properly. I have an rw15 on each end and dc 12000 feeding in the back and lately I added a 1 hp pool pump and sand filter to filter it out. I hate seeing fine particles in the water column and it wasn’t till I added the big sand filter that I’m satisfied. You better add tons of flow to keep the water clean is all I can say

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left one inch off the top cause I wasn't sure what type of bracing if any you were going to use. Or how high the water level would be. Thats where that 20 gallons went.
Actually a very good point. I just used the tank volume calculator found st a lesser site lol but interior dimensions are 94x46x30 which comes up as 560 gallons. Any chance you just removed 1” for each dimension instead of 2? Each panel is 1” and each dimension includes 2 panels. In any case you bring up a good point and I’ll do the actual math later to see what I come up with.

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s not much but I got the new internal ghost style overflow built and the tank drilled for it. I’ve got all the pieces for the external box cut just need to assemble them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I do as well. I managed to make it only 1 1/8” thick so it barely sticks out at all. I believe the final dimensions were 36”x 1 1/8” x 5 1/2”. The ghost frees up a decent amount of space in the tank while making the Bean Animal easier at the same time. Still not sure about flow now but I’m leaning toward 4 MP60QDs on the overflow end and 2-3 Gyre 280 at the top on the far end. I think the gyre pumps won’t be very noticeable and they’ll hep keep the surface water pushed to the overflow, I just wish they were more reliable.

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank should come home this weekend. I’ve laminated 3/4” plywood to the 2x4 frame, tomorrow I’ll put the first coat of epoxy on it. I’m hoping to water test the tank on the stand next week.

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some delays I’m ready to get this build going again. The tank came home right before Christmas and I put it in the garage while I intended to finish the stand. Life had other plans however and in early January the supply line for the upstairs bathroom toilet blew itself apart and flooded the house upstairs and down requiring significant repairs and of course delays, with the repair work mostly done I’m ready to get going again. Forgive the mess, we basically had to pack everything up and move out and are still in the process of moving back in.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back