5g Quarantine Tank

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have read a lot of threads about quarantine tank sizes and the general recommendation seems to be about 10 gallon minimum. My issue is space rather than price but I have access to a 5 gallon tank that I could use.

I am only setting up a Fluval Evo nano, so if I go for 10 gallon it will effectively be the same size as my main tank. I am only planning on 2 (maybe 3 max) small fish and the two I currently have on my stocking list would be a yellow clown goby and a tailspot blenny.

Do you think these small fish would do ok in a 5 gallon quarantine tank?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should be fine with a 5g quarantine tank since your fish are going to be on the smaller size for your nano tank anyhow.

I will typically use a 10g tank and only fill it around 7-8 gallons anyhow to keep the water lower in the tank to minimize jumpers.

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In case anyone else is looking into this. The tank I have bought is from the most knowledgeable LFS, Petco!

They currently have ‘GloFish’ kits available in 5 and 10 gallon. The kits include a tank, hood (with ‘Glo’ LEDs that will largely be useless but ok for fish qt), filter and heater. The 5 gal kit is on offer at $43 at the moment, and if you can get it above $50 (I bought some fish food) and collect you can currently get 25% off. That makes it just over $32 for the whole set. The 10 gal kit works out at about $38.

Hopefully this will work for a cheap temporary setup.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back