6/7 clowns all interested in 1 nem. Argh.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have 7 clowns: 2 pink skunk, 3 ocellaris, 1 maroon and 1 orange skunk in a 220. They have been together for years now and while 1 pair once was interested in being hosted by a nem- it was over a year ago and 0 interest since. They claim the powerheads in the corners, a torch, a rock hole, and the orange has made its way into an overflow repeatedly so thats mostly where he lives. Today, 6 out of the 7 have decided they ALL want to claim the green bta that has been in there, they ignore the rainbow bta and the purple lta. So now what. I feel like someone is going to get killed. Should i just buy more nems? lol

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just watch them for aggressive behavior towards one another. If you want to try adding another anemone, you could do that that. This doesn’t guarantee that Clowns will host it however, or aggression won’t still be the end result.
Be careful with water quality too when maintaining anemones!
Maybe a better option would be to return a couple clowns. My advice would be to remove the Maroon as they get big and boisterous as they age!
The other end of the spectrum is that they may all get along together in close proximity or within the same anemone!
Good luck

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe ill try a similar nem at the other end of the tank to see. I love nems and have room. = )

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but that is sort of funny in a clown sort of way! :D. 'Tis the opposite problem most have when trying to get clowns to host for years at a time.

If Green BTAs seem to be what they like, then perhaps best to let the "new" 'nems be GBTAs. Or else (if water condition and lighting merit) perhaps another type of 'nem more to the liking of only Ocellaris, since the other clown species are typically less fussy.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a H. magnifica, S. gigantea. or S. mertensii the ocellaris will probably prefer any of those. The pink skunks (assuming perideraion) will most likely head over to the magnifica and gigantea, as well as H. crispa or M. doriensis and the orange skunk (assuming akallopisos) may gravitate towards the magnifica and mertensii. If your maroon is big, it may become possessive over the BTA, which is its natural host anemone.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at a Haddoni as they seem to be the easiest of the carpets? Thoughts? Or another green bta but Id like more variety :) The maroon started The interest in the nem today after its been in there for months, they all are ignoring the rainbow which has been in like a year maybe. 0 interest in the lta- I thought the skunks would go for it. The Maroon is maybe an inch and a 1/4 and the smallest (for now) in the tank. As soon as it showed interest it was a mad rush on the nem and now the 3 occelaris are trying for it and beating up the skunks. the maroon has taken refuge elsewhere until the ocellaris leave the nem and then he’s right back in. Clowns are ridiculous. But more nems for me :)

Back