6 bulb t5 combo that matches sps ab+ spectrum

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used a spectrometer to match ab+ from ecotec ? Seems to be a proven spectrum at least with the led ..does anyone have a 6 bulb combo that would match it fairly close ..I believe that program was based off t5? But not sure what combo of bulbs thanks

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used a spectrometer to match ab+ from ecotec ? Seems to be a proven spectrum at least with the led ..does anyone have a 6 bulb combo that would match it fairly close ..I believe that program was based off t5? But not sure what combo of bulbs thanks
The ratio quoted by Ecotech coral lab that they were trying to mimic with the SPS AB+ program was a 80% blue plus bulbs to 20% aquablue special ratio (essentially a 3:1 ratio, 3 blue plus bulbs to every 1 aquablue special bulb). With a 6 bulb T5 unit, you wouldn't be able to mimic that ratio quite as easily as you could with a 4 bulb or 8 bulb fixture. However, I hardly think it matters. One full spectrum daylight bulb out of 6 bulbs is likely adequate in a reef tank, and it is perfectly fine to use 2 or more full spectrum bulbs if desired.

If I was trying to mimic the 80:20 ratio from above as close as possible using just 6 T5 bulbs, I would probably use 4 blue plus bulbs, 1 aquablue special bulb (or a 6500k bulb), and 1 coral plus bulb. The coral plus bulb is a full spectrum bulb but does not have as significant peaks in the non blue spectrum regions as the aquablue special. Thus, your blended spectral graph should be similar to the quoted 80:20 ratio of blue plus to aquablue special bulbs.

OP
OP
L

LEGACYLINE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply exactly what I was looking for ..I'm running 3 blue plus 2 coral plus 1 actinic at the moment I like it just curious on bulb combo if I switch in a few months thanks again

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply exactly what I was looking for ..I'm running 3 blue plus 2 coral plus 1 actinic at the moment I like it just curious on bulb combo if I switch in a few months thanks again
Perfectly fine combination and most likely very similar spectrally to the AB+ spectral program. I wouldn't see any reason to change it if you like the combination. In fact, I prefer this mix versus actually including an aquablue special bulb....I've never cared for that bulb!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back