6 clowns in a 20 gallon?!

Dylan7huskies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys want an opinion. I currently have 2 midnight clowns in my innovative marine 20. I’m thinking of doing adding a Wyoming white pair and regular orange pair? You guys think they’ll kill each other or what? Thanks!
CA974B5D-E29B-465E-813A-CE2044DBDE71.jpeg

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it - I work at a very reputable fish store and even there we have to separate clowns after awhile because they start bullying one another (to the point where they will die). One pair of clowns per tank is the best way to go. Plenty of other cool fish you can put in the 20 though, I ran that for a long time!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have 6 clowns but they all need to be the same type and preferably should be from the same clutch, and would need to be added at the same time. Mixing pairs is going to end poorly.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIne like to hang out in only one corner leaving the remaining 35 inches free :confused:. In your case it may not work out as intended.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think before long you will looking back longingly to ‘happier times’ when you had the one pair, and a peaceable tank. ;)

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wouldn't even do it if they're all the same. It will last longer, but it's only a matter of time. It is really sad watching the ones that get picked on and it's not worth it to put them through that.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a cover top, they will fight, chase each other and jump out. If you have a cover, the will chase each other and thing will not end well.
I used to breed clowns and got too much success for my own good. I got too many good clowns that I wanted to keep so I add quite a few in my 320 gal tank. All were added as Juveniles. Eventually I only end up with two pairs. They tend to stick to their own kinds. I ended up with a pair of Black snowflakes, and a pair of Picasso Percula on opposite side of the tank. I have a numbers of Magnifica and Gigantea but the two females eliminated all the other clowns.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back