6 gallon cube stocking ideas

TSM Aquatics

clownfish81

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi. I'm currently setting up a 6 gallon cube (30cm cube) and want some ideas for stocking. I used to keep a pair of clowns in a 5 gallon with some GSP so I do know some stuff about keeping saltwater. I'm planning to put a big HOB filter with a mini refugium and as much bio balls as I can fit. I have around 2kg of dry rock and have an AI Prime HD. I'm going for mainly corals and 1 nano fish if possible.
Any ideas?

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I can only think of clown goby and neon goby. I would not recommend clown in less than 10G. But I know folks do keep them in smaller sizes, especially for breeding. But the filtration in those systems is also different. Under 10G you have a very limited choice of fish. Sexy shrimp, etc are best, I think.

OP
C

clownfish81

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I can only think of clown goby and neon goby. I would not recommend clown in less than 10G. But I know folks do keep them in smaller sizes, especially for breeding. But the filtration in those systems is also different. Under 10G you have a very limited choice of fish. Sexy shrimp, etc are best, I think.
Ok.

My lfs told me that i can put 2 clowns AND a goby in less than 3 gallons so I went with the plan they told me but I changed to a 5 gallon when I finally did some of my own research.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You can keep dwarf cerith, trochus and most other cleanup crews. Same with corals. You can keep most corals except you have to be extra careful due to small water volume leading to sharp changes . You are only limited by size when it comes to coral. Start with some easy, beginner friendly corals like candy cane, clove, gsp etc. gsp should be kept in an a way that you can separate the rock out in case it grows too fast.

Maxout
TSM Aquatics

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 193 40.6%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 210 44.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.2%
Omega Sea, LLC