6 Line Wrasse and new Mandarin help!

va_ill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a Biota Mandarin, and my Wrasse is picking on it. I know they are territorial and I am not able to rearrange my rock works. Currently the Mandarin is in a breeder box and seems to not be stressed anymore from shipping. He’s been in there for 5 days. I was wondering if I should try releasing it into the tank again or take out the Wrasse first before releasing?

I would love to keep the Wrasse but a Mandarin was the reason I got into the hobby and it’s the Mandarin over the Wrasse!

Thoughts please?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 liners are just aggressive fish. One of the fish will need to go

Last edited:

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish but I just don’t see the mandarin holding against it. The mandarin will need to move around the tank to eat, my six line is not phased one bit when it’s dinner time pushing 2 tangs out of the way lol

OP
OP
va_ill

va_ill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bye bye Wrasse.. now to catch the dang thing!

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bye bye Wrasse.. now to catch the dang thing!
Yeh I can’t see it working. If it helps my six line sleeps in the same spot in his cocoon every night, if you search with a flashlight it could give you the upper hand. Otherwise a trap and some good luck!

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six line was moved to my sump and NEVER again Will I look at putting one in my tank. No matter the size of tank they will be aggressive and they seem to hold grudges and never let things go. They will pick at your Mandarin until it’s dead.

OP
OP
va_ill

va_ill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeh I can’t see it working. If it helps my six line sleeps in the same spot in his cocoon every night, if you search with a flashlight it could give you the upper hand. Otherwise a trap and some good luck!
Thanks for this!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try catch the wrasse and keeping in the breeder box for a week (if you can black it out so it can’t see into the tank, that would be ideal, I would also put some rock and sand in it if possible since it’s going to be there for a week). The hope is that the mandarin will then be comfortable in the tank and the wrasse will have to reestablish itself, usually adding fish like a six-line last will give you best chance at everyone getting along. There’s probably a 50/50 chance this won’t work, but if you like both fish, it’s worth giving it a shot before taking the wrasse back to the lfs.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's a large system with ample pods, most wrasse are going to outcompete a mandy for food.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
six lines have been known to remove the eyeballs of mandarins. They are both pod eaters.

OP
OP
va_ill

va_ill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
six lines have been known to remove the eyeballs of mandarins. They are both pod eaters.
Jeebus! I am still unable to catch the wrasse.. mandarin still in breeder box.. there’s a recent thread about using the breeder box and will eventually allow the old tank mates to get used to him. Does this work on wrasses??

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to use a trap to catch my six line. They easily outmaneuver a net around rock work. Trap was a simple plastic water bottle (cleaned with label and adhesive removed) which I cut maybe a 1/4 of the way from the top. Then I inverted the top 1/4th creating a funnel of sorts into the rest of the bottel and put some food inside. Had him caught within 2 hours.

Bccarty151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always heard mandarins emitted a toxin through there skin to avoid getting messed with?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always heard mandarins emitted a toxin through there skin to avoid getting messed with?

they may taste bad but assuming eyeballs are not protected. Mandarins certainly have been beaten up before by fish and each other.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeebus! I am still unable to catch the wrasse.. mandarin still in breeder box.. there’s a recent thread about using the breeder box and will eventually allow the old tank mates to get used to him. Does this work on wrasses??

maybe but we are talking about a six line here. You can Google sixline and mandarin and find multiple threads of eyeball removal I am just saying it’s a risk. I am sure not every sixline behaves this way.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a mirror till the wrasse gets used to the mandarin swimming around. This is how I got my tangs to stop fighting. Make sure he goes after his reflection before releasing the mandarin

OP
OP
va_ill

va_ill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to use a trap to catch my six line. They easily outmaneuver a net around rock work. Trap was a simple plastic water bottle (cleaned with label and adhesive removed) which I cut maybe a 1/4 of the way from the top. Then I inverted the top 1/4th creating a funnel of sorts into the rest of the bottel and put some food inside. Had him caught within 2 hours
I tried this and had the bottle in my tank for two days with no success. He doesn’t seem interested or is going in there when I’m not around..

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is the aquarium?

Edit: I ask because, I'd rip out the rock and pull the fish out. Even if it's 200lbs of rock I had to fight.

OP
OP
va_ill

va_ill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is the aquarium?

Edit: I ask because, I'd rip out the rock and pull the fish out. Even if it's 200lbs of rock I had to fight.
30 gallons. I’m just trying to avoid that because the rocks are glued to each other to make an arc and I know it will get destroyed and just more of a headache to deal with in the end..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 71 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back