6 Line Wrasse - White Spot on his Nose

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there all,

I currently have two Gladiator Clowns and a 6 Line Wrasse in my 10-Gallon QT and I’m getting ready to start copper treatment per the 2021 Quarantine guidelines beginning tomorrow.

I brought the clowns home last weekend and the wrasse the day before yesterday. The clowns have left the wrasse alone as far as I can tell and it has been hiding around the sponge filter since I added it.

The thing that really concerns me is that last night at feeding time, I couldn’t find the wrasse. I eventually found him vertically wedged in between the ribs of the sponge filter. I initially thought the poor little guy was dead, but when I moved the filter, it swam away and began swimming along the bottom perimeter of the tank. Every time it came to a corner or an object, I.e. the heater, it would bump into it almost as if it was blind and turn the corner or go around whatever it hit.

This morning, I have not observed this behavior. It has been swimming around the bottom of the tank normally, as far as I can tell, and it actually picked at some food that dropped to the bottom of the tank. Problem is, it now has this white spot on the tip of it’s nose. I can’t see any other white spots on it, so I am wondering if this could be an injury resulting from the multiple bumps against the glass and heater last night? Is there anything I can do to treat it or should I leave it alone and just continue with the quarantine protocols?

For reference, the tank is 10-gallons, bare bottom with a sponge filter and a hang on back filter that has an empty cartridge in it (I just bought the deconstructed cartridges and didn’t add the carbon). This tank used to be my coral/invert QT and is very stable. I do 10-20% water changes on it weekly with RODI water, Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt. The tank is at 1.025 SG, 79.8 degrees until I raise it to the recommended 80F, and I did not drip acclimate the fish, I scooped it out with a net and added him to the tank. The clowns came from the same LFS where I’m pretty sure all the tanks share the same water and have been doing really well.

I think I covered the necessary info, please let me know if any more information is needed.

Here is a video, please excuse the dirty glass, I have not had the chance to clean it or do my usual tank maintenance this weekend.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 day QT? Really?
Or are you just holding them for the 72-76 fallow period.
Wow, that in itself would be very stressful.
In any event, I’d give him some hiding places and sand.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 day QT? Really?
Or are you just holding them for the 72-76 fallow period.
Wow, that in itself would be very stressful.
In any event, I’d give him some hiding places and sand.
I am planning to follow this quarantine procedure, which is roughly 9 weeks:

There are two pvc elbows in the tank, one is a regular elbow and the other is a 3-way fitting. The sponge filter seems to be its preferred hiding location, though. Is that not enough?

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there all,

I currently have two Gladiator Clowns and a 6 Line Wrasse in my 10-Gallon QT and I’m getting ready to start copper treatment per the 2021 Quarantine guidelines beginning tomorrow.

I brought the clowns home last weekend and the wrasse the day before yesterday. The clowns have left the wrasse alone as far as I can tell and it has been hiding around the sponge filter since I added it.

The thing that really concerns me is that last night at feeding time, I couldn’t find the wrasse. I eventually found him vertically wedged in between the ribs of the sponge filter. I initially thought the poor little guy was dead, but when I moved the filter, it swam away and began swimming along the bottom perimeter of the tank. Every time it came to a corner or an object, I.e. the heater, it would bump into it almost as if it was blind and turn the corner or go around whatever it hit.

This morning, I have not observed this behavior. It has been swimming around the bottom of the tank normally, as far as I can tell, and it actually picked at some food that dropped to the bottom of the tank. Problem is, it now has this white spot on the tip of it’s nose. I can’t see any other white spots on it, so I am wondering if this could be an injury resulting from the multiple bumps against the glass and heater last night? Is there anything I can do to treat it or should I leave it alone and just continue with the quarantine protocols?

For reference, the tank is 10-gallons, bare bottom with a sponge filter and a hang on back filter that has an empty cartridge in it (I just bought the deconstructed cartridges and didn’t add the carbon). This tank used to be my coral/invert QT and is very stable. I do 10-20% water changes on it weekly with RODI water, Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt. The tank is at 1.025 SG, 79.8 degrees until I raise it to the recommended 80F, and I did not drip acclimate the fish, I scooped it out with a net and added him to the tank. The clowns came from the same LFS where I’m pretty sure all the tanks share the same water and have been doing really well.

I think I covered the necessary info, please let me know if any more information is needed.

Here is a video, please excuse the dirty glass, I have not had the chance to clean it or do my usual tank maintenance this weekend.

I'm sorry that nobody was ever able to help you with this. I'm curious how things turned out because I currently have a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse in my 20 gallon QT. He's been in there for almost two weeks, and ever since about the third day he's had a white spot on his nose as well. What ended up happening with your Six Line?

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry that nobody was ever able to help you with this. I'm curious how things turned out because I currently have a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse in my 20 gallon QT. He's been in there for almost two weeks, and ever since about the third day he's had a white spot on his nose as well. What ended up happening with your Six Line?
Hey there,

Unfortunately, my wrasse ended up dying shortly after this. I am not sure what happened to it—I was having some major issues with rust in my main display which may have transferred to my QT, but I honestly think it was just sick from the LFS.

I have two canary wrasses that had the same issue when I first got them, but it cleared up within a few weeks and they are both doing great. I’ve had them for almost a year now, I think.

Best of luck to you.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back