6 Line Wrasse wound?

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 6 line Wrasse has what looks like a wound - he's acting normally. He has a good appetite and is darting in and out of the rockwork as usual. Photos are blurry because he's swimming around as usual.

We recently had two clownfish die very suddenly. So we are concerned something is wrong. The clownfish were small and the one we found didn't have any visible spots or anything but it had been dead long enough for a snail to be eating it. They too had been acting normally the night before. We never found the second clown - they were small and it may well have been consumed by the time we found them.

Our system is 125 gallons
SG 1.025
Nitrates 16
Calcium 430
Temp 78

The system has been stable for a few months. We had an outbreak in October of velvet. The tank was fallow for 2 months. This Wrasse was one of the original fish we had. He survived the upgrade from 90 gallon to 125 (that led to the tank crash), two months in quarantine which included copper treatment and has appeared to thrive since being returned to our main system.

It does not look like velvet - he's not hiding at all, his appetite and behavior are normal. We're feeding a combo of frozen food with metroplex (after clowns died suddenly we added metroplex back) and some powdered food from Blue Zoo. He eats well even now.

He's way too energetic to get out of the system. When we put him in quarantine in October we literally had to shine flashlights on the live rock to find him - he hid in a hole. We do have a hospital tank we can set back up but don't want to stress all the fish out trying to get him.

We haven't added a new fish to the system for over a month.

Would welcome any advice.
IMG_20180216_181549.jpg
IMG_20180216_181550.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like just a wound to me, but your clownfish dying is a bit concerning (being they are such hardy fish.)

How long did you have the clownfish before they died? Were they QTd? If so, treated with which medications?

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like just a wound to me, but your clownfish dying is a bit concerning (being they are such hardy fish.)

How long did you have the clownfish before they died? Were they QTd? If so, treated with which medications?
The clowns we had for about 2 months. They were QTd for 2 weeks but we didn't medicated the qt. We did do a fresh water dip and a methylene blue bath prior to putting into qt.

They seemed healthy. But they didn't seem to grow very much. Not that two months is a long time but there clowns were maybe 1.5 inches long. Before our previous disaster we had a pair of clowns for years and it didn't take long after they came before one grew larger than the other. This never happened with these last two.

If it is just a wound what should we do?

Thank you so much for sharing your expertise.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just a wound what should we do?

Because catching him seems out of the question, I would food soak vitamins to boost the immune system: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamins-herbal-remedies.304287/

However, due to how serious-looking that wound looks I would also food soak Kanaplex (an antibiotic). But unlike the vitamins you will need to use Seachem Focus to make food soaking Kanaplex reef safe. Focus will bind the medication to the food, and prevent it from leaching out & harming your corals.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because catching him seems out of the question, I would food soak vitamins to boost the immune system: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vitamins-herbal-remedies.304287/

However, due to how serious-looking that wound looks I would also food soak Kanaplex (an antibiotic). But unlike the vitamins you will need to use Seachem Focus to make food soaking Kanaplex reef safe. Focus will bind the medication to the food, and prevent it from leaching out & harming your corals.

I agree. That wound does look serious and the kanaplex + focus combined with the vitamins are probably the best option here. Unless you can trap him and get him into QT for antibiotics.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back